You wanna vocal PA huh? T48 DR250 + W10 save the day

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Gregory East

You wanna vocal PA huh? T48 DR250 + W10 save the day

#1 Post by Gregory East »

I wound up taking the afternoon off work today when I was intending to to do a bunk for a couple of hours to play the show and go back to work. It turned out the vocal pa supplier couldn't make it so I pounced.

Band rotunda in the park, electric piano, jazz orchestra. Who ya gonna call? The PA of last resort of course. Band leader was terrified of the rig as I have talked it up as what it is. He just wanted to do vocals and leave the rotunda to take care of the rest. Lucky for me he got left in the lurch.

I elected to use my bass rig 2x10 for my monitor as we only had 1 monitor mix, DI bass out to FOH. A pair of DR250 and a single T48, 3 W10. We mic'ed kick drum, nothing else but vocals and piano.

It slayed.

I shudder to think how little bass would have been out front if I had been carrying it from the stage, they wouldn't have let me get away with near enough to balance all those horns on "11". They really get going when we're out in public. The piano player had a dinky little amp which would have been lost as well. We sent her straight the desk and monitor mix.

We had band leader's iPod playing through the system while we were on break and packing away. He had the good grace to commend me on the sound of the rig, It was definte acknowledgement of my prepress, sure saved him from a big "I told you so". Vocal PA for a big band with electric piano and bass, yeah right.

The mixer was just flicking -20dB for the background music. I pointed that out, I think he appreciated the implication and the restraint.

Hopefully I'll get some good work for it now it's been heard by some movers and shakers.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

bassmonster

Re: You wanna vocal PA huh? T48 DR250 + W10 save the day

#2 Post by bassmonster »

Nice! :clap: :clap: :clap:

J_Dunavin

#3 Post by J_Dunavin »

oh yes, we got that this last Christmas concert. "Oh why can't we just use the overhead speaker system for everything. I mean it worked last year?" :horse:
One set of the DR200's and a proper mixer, totally blew them away!

Congrats on the gig, hopefully they will get a clue and call you for more events.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Charles Warwick

#4 Post by Charles Warwick »

Gregory East wrote:He had the good grace to commend me on the sound of the rig
I don't know why, but this is the most satisfying comment I can get on the sound of my PAs. I'm glad you're finally getting it too! :hyper:

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

Truly hope it's going to all work out for you Gregory. :)
TomS