XF 212 Completed

Post your reviews and pictures here.
stinkfinger

XF 212 Completed

#1 Post by stinkfinger »

Well, I finally finish my first BFM build. I built it closed back and I am fairly happy with it although on first test run only 1 driver was working. (a testament to my soldering awesomeness). Its loaded with Celestion G12t75's and with even only one working it sounds good. My back has already thanked me for ditching the 4 X 12. I shall post a proper review once I have my driver issue squared away. (I hate taking new things back apart...sigh). Hopefully the first of many BFM's. Next project...Jack 10.
Attachments
cab.gif
cab.gif (71.68 KiB) Viewed 2916 times

LelandCrooks

Re: XF 212 Completed

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

Looks excellent.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

stinkfinger

#3 Post by stinkfinger »

Thank you Leland!!!

I'll be ordering more stuff soon.

Well, the driver issue is fixed (operator error) and I am very satisfied with the sound of this cab. I dare say it is even better than the 4x12. I run high gain usually and I always fought with keeping the low mids tight, yet full. I always seemed to wind up having some note (A usually) that wanted to go HONK on me. Same drivers + new cab and the geese have flown. And just to set the record straight for anyone who feels the need to have a 4x12 for pure volume... nay I say. This cab is just as bit as loud as the 4x12 with the same drivers minus 2 and minus about 50 lbs and it sounds better. I also wired the cab stereo so at home I can enjoy the stereo effect. Just a few feet away from the cab and I get wonderful separation of L and R. Live I'll always run mono.

Also for anyone who thinks they can't build anything...... you can do this! I do suck at woodworking and things didn't line up for me very good, especially the speaker baffles, but with the pl glue..... no worries. It took me a lot longer than most I suspect but so what. I did it and I now have something to be very proud of. I can't wait to start another build! As luck would have it I was introduced to a master carpenter who is stoked about showing me the right ways to use the tools I have and help me build my future builds. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Dan

Chris_Allen

#4 Post by Chris_Allen »

I recently sold my Vetta 2 combo, stupid mistake.

Very nice looking cab.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

stinkfinger wrote:Thank you Leland!!!

I'll be ordering more stuff soon.

Well, the driver issue is fixed (operator error) and I am very satisfied with the sound of this cab. I dare say it is even better than the 4x12. I run high gain usually and I always fought with keeping the low mids tight, yet full. I always seemed to wind up having some note (A usually) that wanted to go HONK on me. Same drivers + new cab and the geese have flown. And just to set the record straight for anyone who feels the need to have a 4x12 for pure volume... nay I say. This cab is just as bit as loud as the 4x12 with the same drivers minus 2 and minus about 50 lbs and it sounds better. I also wired the cab stereo so at home I can enjoy the stereo effect. Just a few feet away from the cab and I get wonderful separation of L and R. Live I'll always run mono.
Congrats. Good report!
stinkfinger wrote: Also for anyone who thinks they can't build anything...... you can do this! I do suck at woodworking and things didn't line up for me very good, especially the speaker baffles, but with the pl glue..... no worries. It took me a lot longer than most I suspect but so what. I did it and I now have something to be very proud of. I can't wait to start another build! As luck would have it I was introduced to a master carpenter who is stoked about showing me the right ways to use the tools I have and help me build my future builds. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Dan
did you get the CD?
TomS

stinkfinger

#6 Post by stinkfinger »

yes I did get the CD. I figured, things always change and who knows what my needs will be in five years so this way I am covered plus really.... a hundred bucks for all those plans? That's a steal.

Dan

stinkfinger

#7 Post by stinkfinger »

Chris_Allen wrote:I recently sold my Vetta 2 combo, stupid mistake.

Very nice looking cab.

Thanks, I found this head and couldn't pass it up. Under 300 bucks and is all updated with Vetta II firmware and it has a Variax port. I love this thing!

Rickisan

#8 Post by Rickisan »

A word of caution on the "master carpenter". I have read stories on this forum of experienced woodworkers attempting to to alter the plans detrimentally, based on " traditional furniture building" guidelines when assisting new BFM builders.

As long as the carpenter will work with you and stay true to the basic premise of the BFM building techniques everythng will be fine. An experienced carpenter will be a great help on getting everything cut correctly so it will line up.... just be sure to use the PL glue and the recommended wood, measure and cut as you go... :fingers:
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Rickisan wrote:A word of caution on the "master carpenter". I have read stories on this forum of experienced woodworkers attempting to to alter the plans detrimentally, based on " traditional furniture building" guidelines when assisting new BFM builders.

As long as the carpenter will work with you and stay true to the basic premise of the BFM building techniques everythng will be fine. An experienced carpenter will be a great help on getting everything cut correctly so it will line up.... just be sure to use the PL glue and the recommended wood, measure and cut as you go... :fingers:
+1. Knowing advanced techniques isn't a bad thing. I know them, but don't use them in the plans, because they're intended for hackers who don't. And some techniques that work very well for making fine furniture are not useful where speakers are concerned; some can even be detrimental. The worst results will come when you have a guy who says "I've been making furniture for 30 years. Plans? Plans? We don't need no stinking plans!

stinkfinger

#10 Post by stinkfinger »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Rickisan wrote:A word of caution on the "master carpenter". I have read stories on this forum of experienced woodworkers attempting to to alter the plans detrimentally, based on " traditional furniture building" guidelines when assisting new BFM builders.

+1. Knowing advanced techniques isn't a bad thing. I know them, but don't use them in the plans, because they're intended for hackers who don't. And some techniques that work very well for making fine furniture are not useful where speakers are concerned; some can even be detrimental. The worst results will come when you have a guy who says "I've been making furniture for 30 years. Plans? Plans? We don't need no stinking plans!

hahaha, point taken!
Rule #1 follow then plans
Rule #2.... there is no rule #2

88h88

#11 Post by 88h88 »

stinkfinger wrote: hahaha, point taken!
Rule #1 follow then plans
Rule #2.... there is no rule #2

Rule #2 slap yourself
Rule #3 refer to rule #1
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"