Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Ryan A

Re: JBL 804 vs TangBand 740P

#62 Post by Ryan A »

Quick discussion point on the sensitivity of the two drivers. It is obvious from the comparison test that both drivers perform almost exactly the same in the AT. However, the JBL has a listed sensitivity that is at least 4 db higher than the TB. The question is:

Does the cab alter response in a way that all drivers will operate the same, no matter the sensitivity of the driver? OR,

Are the JBL's numbers just an inflated spec, OR,

Did JBL report its average sensitivity higher due to a higher sensitivity at frequency ranges outside the passband of this box? (like say 200-400hz)

Are there any factors I have not thought of? What do you guys think and/or know for sure?

IMHO, I still think the JBL is a better driver for the job due to being able to get it cheaper (in the US) than the TB, and it seems to be built sturdier with a strong molded poly cone and good suspension system.

technicaldave

#63 Post by technicaldave »

Being in the UK, the JBL is easier and cheaper to obtain, through that popular online auction site.
Would the voltage limit be the same (roughly) as that for the TB? I'd like to put one in a T18

Ryan A

#64 Post by Ryan A »

VD and impedance is about the same for both drivers, so I'm thinking voltage should be about the same for each.