Mini SLA Pros and lovin it

Post your reviews and pictures here.
spoogin

Mini SLA Pros and lovin it

#1 Post by spoogin »

So if you read my thread about building my THT then you know everyone flocks to my basement to sponge the alcohol and party it up. Well the THT was a success with heavy dubstep, hiphope and some alternative. New problem came up as a result. My little bookshelf Boston Acoustics couldn't keep up, so I shot over to speakerhardware.com and ordered up the SLA Pro kit and split it in half like I seen others do here in other posts. I figured two full size SLA pros would be way over kill for my basement. I just want to say to anyone in the same type situation like me that has more of a party atmosphere in the basement, the half SLA Pros are the way to go. They sound fantastic and get plenty loud with little power. Heres a picture. I like them in white like I seen in another thread here, so thats how I did mine. I still need to find the steel mesh grills for them so no moron that comes over fingers my speakers!! ha
Attachments
SLA.jpg

hermanmonker

Re: Mini SLA Pros and lovin it

#2 Post by hermanmonker »

Looks great.
I'm in the middle of making a pair of mini's for a practice PA for my garage.
Where did you put the port,back or side?

spoogin

#3 Post by spoogin »

I put the port in the back, center. Right behind the brace. I also mounted the crossovers to the brace so i could have access to them through the port hole. I'm at work now but I'll post up a pic tonight.

djlivex

#4 Post by djlivex »

I am building these after the Xmas hustle and bustle, but my question to you do you use the same crossover setup like the full size even though the full size has more piezos and woofers? I will also be using them as DJ monitors? Any thoughts? :confused:
BaasssS, . . how low can you GO!

bassmonster

#5 Post by bassmonster »

Nice looking cabs. Definitely a grille over it to prevent drunk partyers' hands poking through the dust caps :wall:

spoogin

#6 Post by spoogin »

djlivex wrote:I am building these after the Xmas hustle and bustle, but my question to you do you use the same crossover setup like the full size even though the full size has more piezos and woofers? I will also be using them as DJ monitors? Any thoughts? :confused:
I used the same crossovers as the full size SLA Pros. I got the already made ones from Leland at Speakerhardware.com. I would also like to say that Leland is on top of his game over there because I ordered everything during Thanksgiving holiday and it was at my door in three days flat!.

hermanmonker

#7 Post by hermanmonker »

Did you find dampning a problem with the limited space through the speaker cutouts and behind the main brace.

spoogin

#8 Post by spoogin »

Directly behind the drivers on the brace I used this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=260-516 . I had to trim it down a bit so it wouldn't touch the drivers. I also used that on the top and bottom panel. I did have to fold the pieces in half when sticking them through the speaker cutouts. Other than that it wasn't an issue. Behind the brace on the top and bottom I just stuffed some poly fill. Directly behind the brace, however where I mounted the crossovers and the port is I didn't put anything. They sound really nice as long as you don't expect them to play down to low past 100hz. I think if I remember reading other post here that even the full size don't get to low. Honestly they sound fantastic. They really stand out with things like a snare drum. I was just listing to a drum solo by Travis barker and paired with the THT and these little guys, I was getting goose bumps. My little boston acoustics 'NEVER' sounded like these.. :loler:

hermanmonker

#9 Post by hermanmonker »

Did you use 2x8 ohm speakers in parallel for 4 ohm load or 2x4 ohm in series

spoogin

#10 Post by spoogin »

I did 2x8 ohm speakers in parallel for 4 ohm load

hermanmonker

#11 Post by hermanmonker »

Thanks for the info

Titanium Hand

#12 Post by Titanium Hand »

Mickey Mouse :clap:

They look like crackers, good review by the way. Great to hear about some happy SLA Pro Campers
Built 2 x T39 Lab 12 loaded 457mm wide, 29inch Wide Dual Lab 12 Loaded T60 and 2 x OTop 112 2512 Melded. Powered by N.I.TRAKTOR Pro 2.6 (2.6.1 has too many issues) TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 Crown XTi2000

Michael Ewald Hansen

#13 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

I love 'em!

Im starting to build a TT soonish and these would compliment it perfectly for music.. Did you use the "3.5k Piezo Array High Pass Filter" from speaker hardware?
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

spoogin

#14 Post by spoogin »

Phaedras wrote:Did you use the "3.5k Piezo Array High Pass Filter" from speaker hardware?
Yes, thats the exact crossovers I used. I'm thinking of making another pair but this time I'm going to use ribbon tweeters

Michael Ewald Hansen

#15 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

spoogin wrote:
Phaedras wrote:Did you use the "3.5k Piezo Array High Pass Filter" from speaker hardware?
Yes, thats the exact crossovers I used. I'm thinking of making another pair but this time I'm going to use ribbon tweeters
Cool.. Did you change the size of the ports in any way? Im thinking it needs to be of a different size than the full sized SLA Pro..
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page