Sony SLA Review

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Sony SLA Review

#16 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

AntonZ wrote:Very good looking :clap:
You may want to add a grill cloth, not for protection or looks, but to have dust build up on the cloth instead of on the speaker cone? Just thinking out load here.
My TLAH and SLA CurveArray haven't collected any dust after five years. IMO the only necessity for grilles is the presence of children and pets.

Alien

#17 Post by Alien »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: My TLAH and SLA CurveArray haven't collected any dust after five years. IMO the only necessity for grilles is the presence of children and pets.
But they don't have upward-facing cones like these do. :P

LelandCrooks

#18 Post by LelandCrooks »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:My TLAH and SLA CurveArray haven't collected any dust after five years.
Like it loud eh? No dust on my cones either. :cowboy: Once or twice a week crank takes care of that.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#19 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Alien wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: My TLAH and SLA CurveArray haven't collected any dust after five years. IMO the only necessity for grilles is the presence of children and pets.
But they don't have upward-facing cones like these do. :P
My surrounds do, also no dust. And they're kid and dog proof by dint of location.

BrentEvans

#20 Post by BrentEvans »

Grilles also improve WAF.. especially if you hand her the MelloTone samples and let her pick...
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

67baja

#21 Post by 67baja »

Great job on the surrounds. They look beautiful. Please let us know if you like the sound without the tweeters. I am about to build my surrounds and would love your opinion.
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

UROK

#22 Post by UROK »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:My TLAH and SLA CurveArray haven't collected any dust after five years. IMO the only necessity for grilles is the presence of children and pets.
How about cough cough heavy cough pollution cough cough? There's a building site next door and well, this ain't the cleanest city on the planet by a long shot!

67baja

#23 Post by 67baja »

So how are the upshooting surrounds working for you?
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

LiefStevens

#24 Post by LiefStevens »

67baja wrote:So how are the upshooting surrounds working for you?
So far they have been good. I haven't really had a chance to use them much. We mostly watch Netflix and it doesn't have surround sound. I have watched a couple of Blu-rays and they sounded good. They look really nice.

I had a very unpleasant day of feeding the wire up through my attic and I used some cord channel (which I will paint) to hide the wire coming down from the ceiling. I also built an entertainment center to go under my TV/speakers. It is Cherry plywood with a really nice flame and the edging and doors frames are Tigerwood. Behind the doors one side has my HTPC and the other will have a small TAT facing sideways out the side. The top shelve will house my curved SLA center. I drilled holes in the wall and routed all the cables behind the entertainment center. Looks very nice and clean and my cats love it.

I fully realize the my system is not setup in an ideal surround sound setup but it was the best I could do with the space.
Attachments
IMG_6629.jpg
IMG_6631.jpg

LiefStevens

#25 Post by LiefStevens »

Some pictures of the entertainment center and cats. Some how they seem to end up in a lot of my photos.
Attachments
IMG_6611.jpg
IMG_6616.jpg
IMG_6622.jpg
IMG_6626.jpg

67baja

#26 Post by 67baja »

Outstanding, beautiful work! Would you change the design of your surrounds if you had it all to do over?

LiefStevens

#27 Post by LiefStevens »

67baja wrote:Outstanding, beautiful work! Would you change the design of your surrounds if you had it all to do over?
No. I'm completely blow away by how good it sounds. It's way over kill for my little living room. I just wish I had bought a few hundred of the Sony drivers...

67baja

#28 Post by 67baja »

Do you need more? As of right now, I have a few more than I need, but my projects aren't all done yet either. I was thinking about doing some slas pro style with them using piezos as an experiment. I just may have a few extra Sonys...

I really wish the Sony's were cleaner up to say 6,000 hz to make the Onkyo tweeters workable.

Drey Chennells

#29 Post by Drey Chennells »

Very nice. Great color! :clap:
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

juan162

#30 Post by juan162 »

LiefStevens wrote:SLA Mains
I could easily mix on these and am seriously thinking of building a set for the studio.
This is what I was hoping to hear. I bought a bunch of the Sony's a while back in hopes of using them for my home recording studio. I have a question...did you have to change any of the dimensions to fit the Sony's into the front panel of the speaker?