OTOP 212's WOW!

Post your reviews and pictures here.
chrisrbr

OTOP 212's WOW!

#1 Post by chrisrbr »

Sorry if this review is overly gushing, but WOW! I just bought a pair of OTop 2x12's, melded piezo, 3012HO's from a poster on this site. I am so glad I took the chance sight unseen/unheard.
Background: These will be used in a typical five piece rock cover band. We had been using a couple of different cabs depending on venue. For smaller places we have been using, and quite happy with a set of Community Sonus-3594's. Decent clarity, but in general too big for indoors and too small outdoors. Then we have these 124lb Carvin beasts, (2x15, 2x8, tweeter), stupid heavy for outdoors---kind of like a wall of mud hitting you--loud but no definition.
So last winter I stumbled on this site, not sure how. Ended up building two 24" T39's. The band was floored by the performance and weight after trying two other sets of direct radiator subs.
Well after a summer of outdoor gigs loading/unloading the 124lb beasts we had enough. We aren't getting younger and the cabs aren't getting any lighter. Was debating what to build or buy. Even looked into EAW's in a moment of fiscal insanity.

This afternoon we did an A/B test: Carvins vs OTops. Even before RTA it was no competition. The OTops just jumped out at you with their clarity and definition. And just to make sure they would be suitable for outdoor venues we turned them up a bit. We were about 45-50 feet away and it was just stupid loud. We would never need that type of volume at 95% of the places we play, only in a few large city greens would it be used and not be considered offensive. Next we got rid of the Carvin and hooked up one T39, and RTA'd the system with the OTop. Put on "Money for Nothing" and said we're done. One of the most clear and punchy sound systems we have heard in the 30years we've been at this.

Half the weight, louder and just plain sound better---as one of my professors used to say--"isn't science wonderful"
I do believe that these will improve our band's status going forward.
thanks to Bill F.
thanks
Chris
Two 20" T39's, 3012LF
Two 24" T39's, 3012LF
Two OTop 112's, 3012HO, melded
Two OTop 212's, 3012HO, melded
http://www.run4coverband.com

doncolga

Re: OTOP 212's WOW!

#2 Post by doncolga »

:clap:
Very happy to hear that man! Awesome!
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Thaaaattt's suuuuppper!
TomS

LEVLHED

#4 Post by LEVLHED »

I'm certain your review comes as no surprise to those of us who have done similar tests:)
I'm glad to hear they impressed you like I promised they would! Not that I was worried :lol:
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.