Another rental, another 200+ satisfied people :-)

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Robby Hoinsky

Another rental, another 200+ satisfied people :-)

#1 Post by Robby Hoinsky »

I rented out my system to a party from University of Hartford. 200-300 people there this time. The room was an echo chamber, but it actually didn't sound too bad for music once I got used to it. I measured the RT at about 1.5 Seconds. I used a pair of melded otop 12's for mains, jack 12's for side fills and a 2x3015lf ported sub.

Just look at all these smiling faces -

And a walk around video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baqxhi4rnLw

And a reverb test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4C-tFVVqXU

Robby
Authorized BFM Builder
http://www.ArtofNoiseAudio.com
Retailer of Eminence and Dayton loudspeakers

nastyford77

Re: Another rental, another 200+ satisfied people :-)

#2 Post by nastyford77 »

Can you correct for reverb? I have run into this many times, and always thought about trying to help it, but I wasn't sure how.
DJ 4CE

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

nastyford77 wrote:Can you correct for reverb?
Vertical tweeter arrays do so with pattern control that limits early reflections.

Dave Non-Zero

#4 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

+1

the tweeter arrays make a massive difference in directionality and therefore inteligibility of sound. I've used my system in venues I know to be acoustically horrible with other PAs, such as JBL, and been fine with mine. A good room is obviously much better, but the tight dispersion is a godsend. Even without the other advantages of BFD. :)
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

Ash

#5 Post by Ash »

Interesting point on dispersion.... Does this mean it's probably better to run a straight array indoors and use melded outdoors or large arenas? Asking because I will most likely be encountering indoors with a packed space of 300 and less.

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ash wrote:Interesting point on dispersion.... Does this mean it's probably better to run a straight array indoors and use melded outdoors or large arenas? Asking because I will most likely be encountering indoors with a packed space of 300 and less.
No, just the opposite. Outside, people tend to be farther away from the speakers - you can get away with narrower dispersion. Inside - they are spread out closer to the speakers - thus, wide dispersion is better.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Dave Non-Zero

#7 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

I should have restated i meant tight vertical dispersion. The wide horizontal dispersion of themelded is great indoors.
The tight vertical dispertion stops the sound bouncing off the ceiling and muddying up the sound. If you look at the pictures above, you see that the ceiling is the only reflective surface that is close to everyone in the room. Reflections off the Walls are too far away to be a problem here, and the floor is covered in people absorbing the high end, so keep the HF from bouncing off the roof and voilà, crisp sound. :) If you used a standard speaker setup with 40degrees vertical dispersion and up to 20 degrees of that is hitting the roof and bouncing back, smearing the sound.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

UROK

#8 Post by UROK »

Dave Non-Zero wrote:I should have restated i meant tight vertical dispersion. The wide horizontal dispersion of themelded is great indoors.
The tight vertical dispertion stops the sound bouncing off the ceiling and muddying up the sound. If you look at the pictures above, you see that the ceiling is the only reflective surface that is close to everyone in the room. Reflections off the Walls are too far away to be a problem here, and the floor is covered in people absorbing the high end, so keep the HF from bouncing off the roof and voilà, crisp sound. :) If you used a standard speaker setup with 40degrees vertical dispersion and up to 20 degrees of that is hitting the roof and bouncing back, smearing the sound.
"I see," said the blind man looking at nothing!

Thanks, Dave! That is a great explanation. I am not worthy! [Where's the kow tow icon?]

Dave Non-Zero

#9 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

Thanks, Dave! That is a great explanation. I am not worthy! [Where's the kow tow icon?]
is that not japanese? Not Chinese? :)

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

UROK

#10 Post by UROK »

Dave Non-Zero wrote:
is that not japanese? Not Chinese? :)
Both cultures have what we write as k-o-w t-o-w - the most reverential bow whereby one kneels and touches the forehead on the ground.

Actually, of course, that spelling is neither Chinese or Japanese but a transliteration of the sound of Japanese and Chinese pronunciation into the Roman alphabetic script.

Modern (simplified) Chinese is: 叩头 which literally means "bump" "head". I dunno the traditional or full form characters (used outside mainland China). [Mao Zedong 'simplified' Chinese characters as part of the communist modernisation programme so places like Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore still use the older "full" form of the characters.]

Dunno Japanese characters either. Sorry.

Ash

#11 Post by Ash »

Dave Non-Zero wrote:I should have restated i meant tight vertical dispersion. The wide horizontal dispersion of themelded is great indoors.

Ok..... now I get it. Makes a lot of sense now. I'm always impressed with some of the details of venues you guys are doing. This is really motivating me to put together my own rig.