Four DR200's Four T24's My Epic Jounry

Post your reviews and pictures here.
J_Dunavin

Four DR200's Four T24's My Epic Jounry

#1 Post by J_Dunavin »

To skip the history please see the review section. Also please ask as many questions as you want.
I'll try to post a few picts tomarrow.

History
Seven years ago I started to get really involved with my church's youth group program. It's a good program that among other things tries to have a dance about once a month. At the time they had someone else dong all the music, but they were not actively seeking out new music and the leaders didn't really care. The dances consisted of some kids coming and hanging out with friends, but no one really danced. One Sunday, during class, some of the youth were complaining how much the dance stunk, and how the DJ was not really into it. My wife and I volunteered to DJ the dances, and over time we were able to start to turn the dances around and make them fun again.
Two years into my wife and I DJ these dances, and after the word got out that we did the dances we were being asked more and more to do wedding receptions, and other church functions. During this time we decided that we needed our own gear. I started looking around and wanted to build my own pro audio speakers since I built and enjoyed my HT speakers. While on the Parts Express forum page someone suggested that I look at Bill's site. I read for a while and decided that I would build two DR250's and a single T24.
The DR design was the older one without the melded array or CD high freq section. It also had the curved horn throat section. The 24 also was the older design and when I build them did not take the time to make sure they were sealed really well and blew up a few drivers in the process. I finally got it to work and the system sounded ok.
Over the course of the next few years we did a lot of dances and had fun, but was then working two jobs with a new baby boy and I just could not justify the gear any more. I didn't even have the means to move the gear myself. I always had to barrow van. Even though I liked how the system sounded I new that it could be better. And with a new build in mind I sold the 250's and the 24 sat in my parents basement for over two years.

Present
A better job opportunity came and we decided to move closer to our parents. And after another two years got back into helping with our church's youth group program. And as before there was the same situation, of someone who already does the music, but just isn't that into it. The leaders were stuck in the “it works” rut and could not see the light. They would complain about the dances and say that they were too loud, the kids would just stand there and text one another, and the music was too old. But they also wanted these other guys to do the music because it helped them stay active in the church.
I again offered our services and after we did a dance (with the church's gear) were these other guys NO SHOWED the leaders started to see something different. My wife and I were into the dance, got kids to participate and for the first time in years all the kids actually stayed on the dance floor.
This was the turning point for me as well, I knew that now was the time to rebuild. I started to save a few dollars here and there. Worked some over time and poured over the forum pages. I also now had access to my parents van, and started to make some measurements to see what I could actually fit in there.
The plan was set, I knew that I wanted to build four DR200s and four T24's. I liked my 250's, but I knew that I could not fit one into a car, I also took into account Bill's recommendations that these speakers always sound better when there are groups of them. And with space vs. budget I knew that the 200 was the best choice. The same went with the 24. I did like the old 24, but it was a bit too big, so with the new plan I knew I could slim the design down a little and went with a 20” wide T24. And I also decided to build four of them.
The build started slow, but I had a set plan in motion as was making progress.
We also did a few more dances and for the first time the leaders were starting too see what a difference a good dance could do for the youth. And also for the first time in a long time the youth were started to get excited about having them more often.
Then we got asked to do another wedding reception. Now was the time to go full steam into the build. I started to get up early before work, 30 min. here, and hour there. Stayed up late a night putting two or three hours after work into them. And for two solid months worked my butt off to make sure I could get them done before our church's youth conference. I was able to get it all done, and WOW!

Reveiw

The four DR200's sounded full, clean, and had amazing coverage. Not only did the music sound the same from all the way left to right of the gym, but even with 200 kids it still sounded just as loud half way back though the gym through all the kids, and sounded just as clean all the way back in the gym. It did loose a little SPL, of course, but still sounded very good.
The four T24's are actually a little slim, coming in at 20” wide, they are not as wide as I could of gone, but they are pretty easy to move. I stacked and v coupled them in the corner, just off the stage, and I was just all smiles! I'm not sure that I have ever heard such clean loud bass. Again, amazing coverage, and clean sound. Filled the whole gym with a single 800 watt amp. AND I miscalculated the max voltage to 22V not 35V. There was no need to run 'em all the way it sounded great!
I love the four tubas! Got to remember that they always sound best in groups.

Anyway the dance and the wedding reception went great! The kids at the dance loved the system, and had a blast at the dance. In fact we got comments like this was the best youth dance I have ever been to, I have never seen the kids this into a church dance. And a lot of the chaperones said that they were bored out in the hall because all of the kids stayed in the gym!

So thanks Bill for not only giving me the tools to have an awesome sound system, you have helped us totally turn around a whole youth group program!
Thank you!!
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Ken Lustgarten

Re: Four DR200's Four T24's My Epic Jounry

#2 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Great review, I appreciate the history behind the decisions that you have made. I to got my start in pro audio at church after being involved with home and car audio professionally years earlier. The problem almost all churches have is that there isn't anybody that has a clue about the sound system. I have had more fun with pro audio then I ever had with home/car audio. Now my full time job (IT) includes all the sound needs of a college. I have had requests to do weddings and other church related events. I went with 6 DR200's (finished) and 6 T39's (in process now) for my personal system. I am currently working on the T39's, the first pair just needs Duratex. I think I will have time to do it this weekend as well as rough cutting wood for the 2nd pair. Most of what I do is live sound, I am not a DJ but will play a song list if requested.

Dantreige

#3 Post by Dantreige »

Make sure you give yourself some credit. It sounds like you and your wife really get into these dances and put a lot of effort and time into making them great. Hats off to you, sir. :clap:
Once you go Jack, you never go back!

Done:
(2) Jack 12, 3012ho, Straight Array with On/Off Switch
In Process
(4) Dr200 Beta 8, Melded Array

J_Dunavin

#4 Post by J_Dunavin »

Thanks for the replies! It did take a long time to feel that we were actually making a difference with the dances. Maybe that's another key to it all. I mean the youth see how much effort we put in and they catch on to that sort of thing.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

J_Dunavin

#5 Post by J_Dunavin »

2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

ewetho

#6 Post by ewetho »

Great build and all that remains is the finish work.

Chris_Allen

#7 Post by Chris_Allen »

I notice you haven't bothered porting your DR's
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

J_Dunavin

#8 Post by J_Dunavin »

Yes I decided, since I couldn't make up my mind, that i could always go back and port them if i wanted to. I wanted to see how i liked them without. And right now i have them high passed with my peavey CEX's at 150Hz with a 24db slope. And though it may not be right, i have the 24's low passed at 90Hz with a 24 db slope. High pass 40 Hz.
I know there is a gap there, but i think it rocks! The tops sound supper clean, and i thought that since i am A) pretty much always going to have all four of them an B) always play with subs, Why go ported?
IF i ever decide to go ported i would probably just go with the first option.... just the two holes in the side.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

J_Dunavin

#9 Post by J_Dunavin »

I plan on duratexing them, but i had some black paint left over from another project, so i used that up first. And thought that the white would be a cool contrast.
The T24's are black right now and i will paint the horn path white on them as well, but have not gotten to that yet.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

subharmonic

#10 Post by subharmonic »

That looks great. I reeeaaally like it. I may have to borrow that scheme with your permission of course.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

Mikey

#11 Post by Mikey »

I like that TUXEDO look! Very sharp!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Jasen Chandler

#12 Post by Jasen Chandler »

That looks like an LDS church. We did an institute dance and corner loaded and v-plated our 4 t30s in a corner similar to what you have there (double doors for us) and I thought for sure we were going to break the doors. But they EASILY handled a gymnasium with 400 kids.

J_Dunavin

#13 Post by J_Dunavin »

I wanted something just a little different from the every day black with black paint scheme. It's just water based primer from menards, the white is i mean. I've thought about different colors, but the white really turns some heads. I've even been asked if it helps with the sound :lol: :lol:
And of course you can paint them with this scheme! That's what i like about this forum, we can barrow ideas from each other and continue to make the BFM line better and better.
And YES it was in an LDS church. It was our youth conference and my first time out with this rig! The kids loved it!! I was really worried that they would think "oh what's this home brew rig this guy brought" ,but it was the complete opposite. All the kids who commented said "wow did you make these yourself?" So it was a fun night.
Four T-30's hu? Man i thought that the four T-24's were rockin' Can't imagine what 30's would sound like. On that note, without being rude, i would like to suggest that i think some of the other DJ's on this forum are missing the boat. Forget one or two titans, get a group of tubas!!
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Radian

#14 Post by Radian »

J_Dunavin wrote:Man i thought that the four T-24's were rockin' Can't imagine what 30's would sound like
They sound freaking insane. :twisted: with a side of :owned: Sonicanvil (aptly-named BTY) had his 4-pack fired up at the last get together. They are full-width, 3012LF loaded. Just stupid amounts of skull rattling, pant flapping bass at idle.....didn't even have to put the spurs to them. I gather, if left alone with a 1000W amp, four T30's would dig their own hole to China.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Titanium Hand

#15 Post by Titanium Hand »

J, you and your wife seem to have put some serious work in. Where were people like you when I was 11 to 14?

I remember going to Church Youth gathering/dances, as you described, prior to your input. They were flat out boring. All the kids, including me, really could have used an enjoyable, positive environment. Without it, many (I included) turned to Drugs, Alcohol, Petty Crime, Violence and Debauchery. For some; juvenile detention and ultimately prison. Effective Youth social events, Church run or not, do make a massive difference in preventing Juvenile Delinquency (I can attest to that) and giving young kids a positive start in life.

What better way to bring together and engage young minds than :chainsaw: A CRANKING BFM SYSTEM :chainsaw: The tenacious, paint peeling, earth shaking, heart pumping bass that the Tuba line of subs are renowned for, top idea. :wink: What teenage boy doesn't love a good setup running on full noise, even if it is playing emasculating (to a 13yr old boy) pop music! No doubt its the same in the US; hi-volume and big bass for the boys, pop music for the girls- They both win!

Sorry to thread jack, J, Radian & Donny; +1 on the joys of tubas! Great to hear more happy reports on them. I've bought all the gear about to start building a pair of T30's but for all the T39 advocates I almost questioned my final decision, until reading this thread that is. To re-iterate, what you and your wife are doing for the kids is great, it will make a difference for many
Built 2 x T39 Lab 12 loaded 457mm wide, 29inch Wide Dual Lab 12 Loaded T60 and 2 x OTop 112 2512 Melded. Powered by N.I.TRAKTOR Pro 2.6 (2.6.1 has too many issues) TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 Crown XTi2000