Four DR200's Four T24's My Epic Jounry

Post your reviews and pictures here.
UROK

Re: Four DR200's Four T24's My Epic Jounry

#16 Post by UROK »

Titanium Hand wrote: To re-iterate, what you and your wife are doing for the kids is great, it will make a difference for many
+ 1m

:clap:

J_Dunavin

#17 Post by J_Dunavin »

Thanks for the Replies.
As far as the music with the kids go, it's a blast! It sure is fun to set up before the dance and watch the boys check out the stack of Tubas. It's really cool for them because they have never seen a horn loaded anything. Then I'll run a few tones though there and rattle the doors to the gym, they love it!
My wife and I actually have seen the youth wanting to do more dances now, and have had a ton of great comments from the youth and adults. We joke about it now, because when we first volunteered the adults said that they already had a program, but they couldn't get the kids excited about it. Now my wife and I laugh about it because the kids are way into it, and even the adults are seeing the light. My BFM rig is what really did it. They have never heard anything even close to what the DR's and Tubas can do. Since I am also on the youth planning committee we have even volunteered my rig for other area dances ( for the same church ), but they have yet to get it. For some reason everyone keeps thinking that a laptop, hooked up to self powered JBL's is the end all PA system. :wall: :wall: :owned: :owned:
At least we have made a difference here and we hope to keep the ball moving.

As far as the system goes, I'm still lovin' those 24's! Now i just need to build four more :chainsaw:
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

bassmonster

#18 Post by bassmonster »

Titanium Hand wrote:
What better way to bring together and engage young minds than :chainsaw: A CRANKING BFM SYSTEM :chainsaw: The tenacious, paint peeling, earth shaking, heart pumping bass that the Tuba line of subs are renowned for, top idea. :wink: What teenage boy doesn't love a good setup running on full noise, even if it is playing emasculating (to a 13yr old boy) pop music! No doubt its the same in the US; hi-volume and big bass for the boys, pop music for the girls- They both win!
:loler: Yes that is me you're talking about, cept I hate pop. Dubstep is where it's at for bass.

88h88

#19 Post by 88h88 »

bassmonster wrote:
Titanium Hand wrote:
What better way to bring together and engage young minds than :chainsaw: A CRANKING BFM SYSTEM :chainsaw: The tenacious, paint peeling, earth shaking, heart pumping bass that the Tuba line of subs are renowned for, top idea. :wink: What teenage boy doesn't love a good setup running on full noise, even if it is playing emasculating (to a 13yr old boy) pop music! No doubt its the same in the US; hi-volume and big bass for the boys, pop music for the girls- They both win!
:loler: Yes that is me you're talking about, cept I hate pop. Dubstep is where it's at for bass.
I hope you're talking about proper dubstep and not this whole mess of chainsaw stab-led crap that's leaking out of the US... Buttstep.

:fruit:
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Gregory East

#20 Post by Gregory East »

What's a chainsaw stab as opposed to regular? I got this playing at low volume :noob: more vocal than other stuff but otherwise I haven't a clue.

http://soundcloud.com/d-j-knife/the-bes ... aw-dubstep

bassmonster

#21 Post by bassmonster »

88h88 wrote: I hope you're talking about proper dubstep and not this whole mess of chainsaw stab-led crap that's leaking out of the US... Buttstep.

:fruit:
Skrillex? :lol:

I like deadmau5, Pendulum is also great, and don't forget underground dubstep like the Russian, daVIP. Good stuff, some guy on youtube did a THT demo with a daVIP song and it hits hard.

EDIT: Very handsome cabs btw. Love the black and white look, like a tuxedo. They would look great at a wedding gig or something.
Last edited by bassmonster on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bzb

#22 Post by bzb »

dubstep :chainsaw:

I like the tuxedo look of the cabs. I think they'd look really sharp with some nice grills.
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

88h88

#23 Post by 88h88 »

Gregory East wrote:What's a chainsaw stab as opposed to regular? I got this playing at low volume :noob: more vocal than other stuff but otherwise I haven't a clue.

http://soundcloud.com/d-j-knife/the-bes ... aw-dubstep
It's just a description of the harsh trebles thrown into a track and yeah, it's a style that man-of-the-month Skrillex uses which became boring pretty much immediately yet US kids seem to love.

I'm more of a fan of your chilled out, moody dubstep/2 step. I like a good rage but with 99% of new dubstep being overly compressed it just grates after a while.

Burial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA&

Kode9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0VSvu-ro0&

Mala: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzzGXBW4GA&

And finally if you're going to produce a balls to the wall track at least aim for the production values of a track like this which has obviously had weeks thrown at it. Hearing this on a big system is unreal, utterly glorious. Reso - Otacon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOeWUwkpxQ
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

bassmonster

#24 Post by bassmonster »

Excuse me, even though I'm a U.S. kid, I do not like Skrillex, though 3 of his songs are good angry blasting music, the rest are pretty much all the same, just the vocoder melody is different and the bass has a different tune.

Monomer

#25 Post by Monomer »

Radian wrote:
J_Dunavin wrote:Man i thought that the four T-24's were rockin' Can't imagine what 30's would sound like
They sound freaking insane. :twisted: with a side of :owned: Sonicanvil (aptly-named BTY) had his 4-pack fired up at the last get together. They are full-width, 3012LF loaded. Just stupid amounts of skull rattling, pant flapping bass at idle.....didn't even have to put the spurs to them. I gather, if left alone with a 1000W amp, four T30's would dig their own hole to China.

I've sat at those particular subs horn throat going close to full tilt.

I would advise against it. Honestly. Impressive.

Wish I would have stayed with tuba30's. It was the first sub I built, then the t39 plans came around and I had to have some slims. Maybe the next builds.
-AutoTuba; Tang Band 8 inch (x1)
-T39; KappliteLF, 22 wide (x2)
-More to come!

doncolga

#26 Post by doncolga »

Radian wrote:
J_Dunavin wrote:Man i thought that the four T-24's were rockin' Can't imagine what 30's would sound like
They sound freaking insane. :twisted: with a side of :owned: Sonicanvil (aptly-named BTY) had his 4-pack fired up at the last get together. They are full-width, 3012LF loaded. Just stupid amounts of skull rattling, pant flapping bass at idle.....didn't even have to put the spurs to them. I gather, if left alone with a 1000W amp, four T30's would dig their own hole to China.
:loler:
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

J_Dunavin

#27 Post by J_Dunavin »

Makes me wonder what six dr250s and eight T30's would sound like.... ah maybe next build....
In the mean time i need to slap some more paint on the Tubas while it's still nice out.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Dave Non-Zero

#28 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

J_Dunavin wrote:Makes me wonder what six dr250s and eight T30's would sound like.... ah maybe next build....
In the mean time i need to slap some more paint on the Tubas while it's still nice out.
I had 8 t48s running last weekend. People enjoyed dancing in front of them. :)
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

doncolga

#29 Post by doncolga »

J_Dunavin wrote:Makes me wonder what six dr250s and eight T30's would sound like.... ah maybe next build....
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that would just SO knock the pants off what I've heard in my parts. Then to run that off just about three @ 1200 watt amps...that's just crazy. I can't wait to build again...it's just not in the cards at the moment. Maybe at the start of the 2012.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

J_Dunavin

#30 Post by J_Dunavin »

Did another dance this weekend and had about 180 kids there. This time I finally EQ'd the DR200's properly and they sounded great! The T24's also sounded good, filled the whole gym, the kids loved it!
One thing I would like to ask though is about setting voltage limits on your amp. I have a CD full of test tones at three varying DB's. 0 db, -5, -10 and -15. At one time I borrowed an oscope from work and checked to see where each piece of gear clipped, to try and set system gain structure properly.
When ever I set voltage limit for the T24's I use the 80 hz 0 db track and note that the VU meter is just under the red clip light. (Which i also noted earlier that the red clip light really does indicate that I'm clipping.) This is also with the faders and master set to 0.
Now when I play music I note that I never really get that much output, of course music is not at 0db. That test tone is much hotter.
So the question is, would it be ok to set voltage on a -5 db track?
The trade off of course is that with setting the system at 0 db I'm sure I'll never hurt the speakers, but with -5 db I could run it right to the edge. Maybe it's a bad idea?
I just want to know that I'm getting the most out of my gear.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba