Happy tuba 18 owner

Post your reviews and pictures here.
netbug

Happy tuba 18 owner

#1 Post by netbug »

I finished my pair of tuba 18s this weekend and I’m very happy with the results.
They are replacing a set of 15inch woofers in H-frame open baffles. The difference is huge though it’s not really an apples to apples comparison because the H-Frames were never designed to be a sub-woofer, just for some bass support for the mains. They are fed using an active crossover (150hz) and powered by a simple 60watt per channel chipamp.

This system is for music only, so I don’t need the deep bass like a home theater so I have been experimenting with Tubas facing away from the wall. The bass (50hz+) sounds clearer to me when facing away from the wall.

I don’t see anything in RTA that would back up my impression, so this could be mental rather than real. Or it could be due to my relative high crossover point.

I listen to a wide range of music, from Jazz/Folk to Pop to DubStep. The tuba 18 has performed well with everything I have thrown at it. With Jazz the bass is clean and very natural. With DubStep I can rattle the house. Really a fantastic foundation to build a bi-amped system around.

Radian

Re: Happy tuba 18 owner

#2 Post by Radian »

netbug wrote:They are replacing a set of 15inch woofers in H-frame open baffles. The difference is huge though it’s not really an apples to apples comparison because the H-Frames were never designed to be a sub-woofer,
...they didn't stand a chance. Welcome to bass bliss. :mrgreen:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite