Cinco de Mayo gig (2 Titan 39)

Post your reviews and pictures here.
RENDOG

Cinco de Mayo gig (2 Titan 39)

#1 Post by RENDOG »

2 Titan 39 20" 3012lf.

It sounded really "full", like a complete setup should but it wasn't really strong with the bass. It seems you lose a large amount of sound when the speakers are out in the open and away from walls.

I'm really glad I brought them because the system would have sounded very weak without the Titans.

http://vimeo.com/23565660

doncolga

Re: Cinco de Mayo gig (2 Titan 39)

#2 Post by doncolga »

RENDOG wrote:2 Titan 39 20" 3012lf.

It sounded really "full", like a complete setup should but it wasn't really strong with the bass. It seems you lose a large amount of sound when the speakers are out in the open and away from walls.

I'm really glad I brought them because the system would have sounded very weak without the Titans.

Have you sent them some content with really good bass? My T30's sing on pretty much anything produced pretty recently but older, original masters sometimes just don't have much low content. Outdoors on Monday testing my Otops techno tunes were just great...I put on Footloose and by comparison it was a little weak.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

RENDOG wrote:It seems you lose a large amount of sound when the speakers are out in the open and away from walls.
At least 6dB. That's why you need twice as many subs outdoors as indoors to reach the same subjective levels. And that's why you always wall load when there's a wall available.

RENDOG

#4 Post by RENDOG »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
RENDOG wrote:It seems you lose a large amount of sound when the speakers are out in the open and away from walls.
At least 6dB. That's why you need twice as many subs outdoors as indoors to reach the same subjective levels. And that's why you always wall load when there's a wall available.
At Ultra Music Festival in Miami, even the absolute smallest stage (50'x50') with about 60 people in front of it had 16 sub cabinets. It sounded good, but like you say, put those same 16 subs in a nightclub and it would hurt people.

RENDOG

#5 Post by RENDOG »

doncolga wrote:

Have you sent them some content with really good bass? My T30's sing on pretty much anything produced pretty recently but older, original masters sometimes just don't have much low content. Outdoors on Monday testing my Otops techno tunes were just great...I put on Footloose and by comparison it was a little weak.
They definitely bass good but I could really tell the difference from indoors to outdoors. I knew from reading on here to expect a difference so I wasn't surprised.

Have you used your Tuba 30s at an outdoor gig like the one on my video?

doncolga

#6 Post by doncolga »

RENDOG wrote:
doncolga wrote:

They definitely bass good but I could really tell the difference from indoors to outdoors. I knew from reading on here to expect a difference so I wasn't surprised.

Have you used your Tuba 30s at an outdoor gig like the one on my video?
After Bills post my point seemed a little silly...I forgot about the doubling cabinet thing.

Since I finished them I've used my pair outside for a wedding reception (police were called for that), but I'm not so sure it was so much loud as it just threw really well. They were V-plated for that. There was a big pond (maybe that large flat area helped it throw) next to us with houses a little beyond that, so maybe that's where the call came from. When they arrived, I don't think the police even thought it was too loud, but asked us to turn it down anyway. It certainly wasn't too loud in the immediate area.

I did a 16 year old birthday party in a large backyard and it was plenty loud for the # of guests and close proximity to me...probably got up to about 25 volts max just on really bass heavy tunes...normally alot lower volts than that. V-plated again.

The local weekly outdoor Farmers Market is the other outdoor venue. That's not really a loud gig and it's more laid back tunes (Elton John, Jimmy Buffett stuff), so it's not pounding for volume, but I still like it deep as possible. I've not really heard it out front much as I'm usually performing, but people tell me it's deep and full and carries well. I've done that with and without V plate. Volts are very low there...maybe 10-15 max?

When I tested them and the Otops on Monday in my yard, my neighbors said it was "really loud" at their place, probably at least 50-75 yards away. I don't know what "really loud" entails...deep and punchy or highs...it was enough to get them outdoors to see what was happening.

I am doing the EQ mirror based on the SPL chart of the T-30s, but instead of cutting where the T30's get more sensitive, I've been boosting where they are less sensitive...it just sounded better that way to me. I may revisit that again as I'm working out my Otop12 EQ. It's a low pass filter with a boost all the way out to the end, then I've got it chopped off with 48 db/oct cut at 35 hz, and of course brickwall limited, but I've only seen that light up maybe once at indoors dance parties. I'm also really careful about the volts...I pretty much alway have the voltmeter on them so see what they're getting. The meter I used measure peaks and beeps for me each time it goes up so I can easily tell when they're working harder, and how hard.

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

doncolga wrote: I am doing the EQ mirror based on the SPL chart of the T-30s, but instead of cutting where the T30's get more sensitive, I've been boosting where they are less sensitive...it just sounded better that way to me.
Split the difference, cutting and boosting equally above and below the zero dB line.