Finished Tlah

Post your reviews and pictures here.
LelandCrooks

Finished Tlah

#1 Post by LelandCrooks »

Here's some pics of my completed tlahs and semi completed home theater.

The tuba 24 in the corner will be replaced with a table tuba very soon. I have to design it first. The room placement works out for it be DVD shelving and an additional equipment stand. I'll probably make the externals from 5/8 or 3/4 for additional damping.

My surrounds are PE 6" drivers like used in the wedgehorns. I did a little WinIsd work for the box. The placement dictated the size as much as anything. They will kick some butt.

I haven't started on the center yet. The TV centers are pretty good though. But the dsp in the reciever had to bump them 10db to keep up with the tlahs.

How's it sound? Review coming shortly. BIG.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

LelandCrooks

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

Tlahs are an interesting build. Much easier than the other boxes on this site, but precision is paramount. They're hanging in your house instead of hanging out at bars. They require out of the box thinking just like every other cab on this site. It's not even a box, it's truncated pyramid.

After I finished these in the shop they looked really big. But when I hung them they pretty much disappeared, because I painted them to match, and 12ft ceilings make 3ft look pretty short.

In this era of teeny speakers driven to the edge, the sound of TLAH's is effortless. I had forgotten what a difference physical size in a speaker makes. The size of the soundstage was startling. Depth, width, and height were enormous. I started with the Joe Pass trio. Joe's guitar was about 5 ft tall in the center, instrument placement in the soundfield was very precise. The sweet spot is very large, due to the corner diffraction, there was good imaging almost everywhere. I'm fortunate that the room I'm using is within a whisker of ideal ratios for reproduction, so that contributes also. The soundstage reminded me of the Epicure 3.0's and RS Infinity's I sold back in the 80s. Big speakers just give a sense of immediacy that no small one can recreate.

The tweeter array concerned me, as there's nothing I hate worse than a shrill top end. I cannot stand almost any metal dome tweet or ribbon, and the sheer number in these made me think it might be the same. Smooth and sweet describe it. The array of these .20 rascals sound as good (maybe better) as my all time favorites in my Epicures.

When the movies started, that's when the real fun began. Articulate, precise and defined midrange. Even in high volume scenes intelligibility never gets lost, as it does in so many other systems I've heard. The size of the soundstage wraps you in the movie immediately.

I built mine with some of the last NSB's PE had in stock. So for less than $25 in drivers, $25 in crossover parts, $25 in baltic birch in my mains, $40 in the surrounds, and a T24 (to be replaced by a table tuba) I'll put my system up against anything up to a couple of thousand, and anything below 1K you can buy will not compete at all.

WAF is not a problem once you watch Desperate Houswives on a 61" with these puppies running.

Leland
:D
Last edited by LelandCrooks on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T. Sharpe

#3 Post by T. Sharpe »

Wow... a very nice build, Leland! I particularly like the manner of the finish to blend into the wall treatments.

With the nice finishes coming out of these projects lately (never mind the sound magic being created using Bill's designs...), it is begining to look like we will have a quite a bit to show off. Who needs overpriced 'store bought' & boutique speaker cabinets???... when we can make examples like these? :twisted: :lol:

Now look what you have done... you've spurred me further into hurrying to finish my HT setup project... :shock:

drumsonly2002

#4 Post by drumsonly2002 »

Beautiful work Leland. You know your stuff. One thing I really enjoy about this forum, is, when a project is displayed, used, commented on and viewed, the sharing of it, makes it real. The designs on paper, 3d and reading about adds excitement, but seeing it used, by a qualified builder like your self, gives a lot of creditability to the designs and work put into the projects.

Wes Whitmore

#5 Post by Wes Whitmore »

I like them very much. When I finished my basement, and wired up everything for my HT, I ran some extra wires for a set of TLAHs someday. It actually caught me off guard to see them mounted so low, yet is the normal height for most towers, so I don't know why. Probably because I always see them stuck up in the top corners of the room.

Did you mess around with placement?

What are your plans with a center channel?

Wes

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Wes Whitmore wrote: Probably because I always see them stuck up in the top corners of the room.
That's because his ceilings at 12 feet are 4.5 feet higher than mine. When I saw his pics I thought it looked like his were a lot shorter than mine, it's his room size that throws the perspective off.

LelandCrooks

#7 Post by LelandCrooks »

Thanks for the complements all. TSharpe I can't wait to see yours after the amazing Davids.
Wes Whitmore wrote: Did you mess around with placement?
Just in my head and on the computer. The corner placement in the room is just a smidge wider (maybe a foot) than I would prefer, but looks have to be taken into account. The size of the TV dictates viewing distance, about 10ft min, so placement is pretty dang close. Calculated room nodes were pretty minimal, and the dsp in the onkyo nailed all of them according to my simulations, in just about the calculated amounts. I spent a lot of time considering acoustic treatments, but the carpet and drapes took care of it. Ring is just right, haven't run sweeps for bass nodes yet, but from listening they're pretty subtle, if there. I still may do a diffusor on the back wall.
Wes Whitmore wrote:What are your plans with a center channel?
A variation of the slah. Larger, taller, close to physical match of the tlahs. I am concerned about the mounting. It will be higher than the tlahs, by quite a bit. By the time you get the tv on the stand, it will be around 2 ft higher. I'm going to tilt the box, but it still concerns me.

Bill wrote:That's because his ceilings at 12 feet
Oh yeah. I love my high ceilings. Also makes this room acoustically almost dead on.