Omni 15tb

Post your reviews and pictures here.
mikell128

Omni 15tb

#1 Post by mikell128 »

I notice not as many people building these a their use to be... anyhow I have finished mine and will include a picture as soon as possible, but have played two gigs with it so far. I can certainly say that the first gig I fought the tone a lot. I was cutting through but it sounded somewhat ugly to me. As we approached the end of the gig I was finally getting close to what I wanted. My second gig with the cab i was fighting as well trying to find my tone. However from several trusted musicians in the crowd I was told afterwards that it really sounded clear and great. So recently I have been playing with my new Omni, just trying to figure out my best tone but I am happy to hear that from both gigs with it I have had stellar reviews from the audience. They have noticed, as well as I have when I'm alone, that the clarity and SPL of the cab is far and beyond a lot of others. I will continue posting as I play new gigs to update my review, but in my attempt not to be biased by the work I have done I can say that this cab incorporates the mids of my Jack 112, while the lows of my own composite 112 plus more of both. I am able (with my shuttle 6.0) to add or subtract any of the frequencies I desire, while still making them sound good. I am very happy that I built this cab as I can EQ it perfectly as I see fit, and it has cut through while still providing a big presence on my recent gigs. I will continue updating as I keep gigging with this though!

Recently just tooling around on my own I have come to a much better tone that I know will cut through and sound to my liking, one of the best things I like so far about this cab is the response it has to slight EQ changes (I have changed my tone a lot from with a lot of small changes and am very near the tone I've always desired!!)

Chris_Allen

Re: Omni 15tb

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

It can be a real pain getting your new amp+cab combination to sound how you want it to, or at least, be confident that it sounds great in front of you. I normally get someone else to play my guitar whilst I fiddle with the settings.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Dave Non-Zero

#3 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

I actually 'educated' a guitarist last week!!!! He was standing on stage playing his guitar in front of his 4x12 saying to the rest of the band that he needed more topend... I explained that offstage there was loads, and his bandmates agreed so he stood off stage and a big smile came over his face! This was a touring metal band and he had never realised this before. Incredible.
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Dave Non-Zero wrote:I actually 'educated' a guitarist last week!!!! He was standing on stage playing his guitar in front of his 4x12 saying to the rest of the band that he needed more topend... I explained that offstage there was loads, and his bandmates agreed so he stood off stage and a big smile came over his face! This was a touring metal band and he had never realised this before. Incredible.
The general lack of any understanding whatsoever of how sound reproduction works amongst professional musicians is appalling. :noob:

DJPhatman

#5 Post by DJPhatman »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:The general lack of any understanding whatsoever of how sound reproduction works amongst professional musicians is appalling.
+1. Especially among guitarists. Just getting a guitar player to use a reasonable volume is quite a feat. Sound reproduction education should be required before someone is allowed to purchase and amplifier.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#6 Post by Harley »

Dave Non-Zero wrote:I actually 'educated' a guitarist last week!!!!
...and who said miracles didn't exist in this day and age :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Harley wrote:
Dave Non-Zero wrote:I actually 'educated' a guitarist last week!!!!
...and who said miracles didn't exist in this day and age :mrgreen:
The miracle is that said education didn't require the assistance of a cricket bat. :bash:

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJPhatman wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:The general lack of any understanding whatsoever of how sound reproduction works amongst professional musicians is appalling.
+1. Especially among guitarists.
As I are one.......I must take up for the 6-stringer-slingers here.

Most guitar players are indeed a PITA, as are most bass players who also put their amp right at the back of their knees and turn it up until their pants flutter, and drummers who insist that their ringing toms sound great from where they are sitting.

Bottom line is that no matter what instrument you play, if you insist on putting your individual sound above that of the band - it's gonna' sound like crap.

Can I have an Amen, brutha?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Dave Non-Zero

#9 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

Ayy men. But guitarists have the potential to be somuch louder than the others... ;)
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

Drey Chennells

#10 Post by Drey Chennells »

amen to all that. Early in my sound journey I was always genuinely surprised at the lack of acoustic principles among the musicians I worked with, forget about the engineering aspects. Now I just expect it. :bash:
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#11 Post by Harley »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Can I have an Amen, brutha?
Ok, if you insist

Amen that any musician who is a PITA with their loud equipment, needs to be flogged with a cricket bat

:loler:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

doncolga

#12 Post by doncolga »

DJPhatman wrote:
+1. Especially among guitarists. Just getting a guitar player to use a reasonable volume is quite a feat. Sound reproduction education should be required before someone is allowed to purchase and amplifier.
+1 again. I have stopped playing with two different groups because it was just too loud. One was just a single rehearsal...that was an actual time constraint thing too. The other was an actual bar gig. The first night I thought I would surely be injured. The second night was better as I brought some in ear buds which effectively plugged my ears and quietly monitored the band through a single mic...not ideal, but it got me through.

I'm almost afraid to ask...being a keyboard player/pianist myself, where do we fit in?...I haven't seen any keyboard jokes here...yet....

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

doncolga wrote: I'm almost afraid to ask...being a keyboard player/pianist myself, where do we fit in?...I haven't seen any keyboard jokes here...yet....

Donny
Wouldn't be right .... making fun of the slow-witted.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

doncolga

#14 Post by doncolga »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
doncolga wrote: I'm almost afraid to ask...being a keyboard player/pianist myself, where do we fit in?...I haven't seen any keyboard jokes here...yet....

Donny
Wouldn't be right .... making fun of the slow-witted.
:clap: Good one...I'm impressed...
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Feel like you're one of the guys now?

We are equal opportunity trashers.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210