Jack 210 Bass Cabinet (no tweets)

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Jim Van Streader

Jack 210 Bass Cabinet (no tweets)

#1 Post by Jim Van Streader »

OK, my last review was for 2 Jack12’s, no tweets and I said that was the ultimate bass cabinet setup. Well, now I’ve got a J210 that I’ve been using at quite a few gigs and I’ve found my new favorite.

I’m a builder so I’m biased and all that but this thing is really amazing. I’ve been playing bass for some 35 years through all kinds of boxes and this little thing defies the laws of physics. It just shouldn’t get as loud as it does. Nor should it go as deep as it does.

If you’ve got sub support in the PA then leave the J12’s at home and take out one of these little handy cabs. Mine is loaded with two Deltalite 2510’s and is easy to pick up and carry so it’s one trip from the car instead of two as with singles. I’m powering it with a vintage GK800RB and it is loud and huge.

One trick I’ve been showing other bass players is to turn the bass knob on your amp all the way down. Set everything else flat. Then crank the snot out of it and get ready for some awesome bass tone. If you need a little bass you can then roll a little in but I’ve never had to go past 9:00. And yes I primarily play 5 string and use the B string. I do this with all bass cabinets now and I get compliments on my tone always. Rehearsal studio rigs, big shows with backline supplied (usually Ampeg 8x10) pull the bass all the way off, turn it way up. Try it. Of course I’m still sending a full signal to FOH for the subs.

If I don’t have sub support in the PA or I’m playing on a big stage outdoors, I’ll take the two J12’s.

The picture shows the use of the round handles from PE recessed flush and it’s finished in one coat of plain ole Rust-o-leum flat black oil base paint from HD. It’s got about 15 to 20 gigs on it so far.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Philip Kelley

Re: Jack 210 Bass Cabinet (no tweets)

#2 Post by Philip Kelley »

BOOM. I'll be firing up my new pair of J10s soon, and you've got my anticipation level peaking.

I like the little sign off to the right: Jack & Coke

newbold

#3 Post by newbold »

that's how I like to dial in my low end as well.

You've spoken to me, as you have with the one trip tip.

I was debating the tweets. Maybe not. I don't use them in any cab I have played with regularly anyway.

food for thought indeed.

jswingchun

#4 Post by jswingchun »

1x210 versus 2x110 to me is an easy decision. It's not two trips with two 110s unless you want it to be. They are light enough to carry one in each hand if you want to. But you CAN carry them one at a time if you want. You can also leave one at home if you want to. More choices, more options, more modular. I had an Omni10 which was the predecessor to the Jack 210. I switched to four Jack 110s and would never go back.

That said, it's all personal choice, so build what you want and have fun!
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

cheapbasslovin

#5 Post by cheapbasslovin »

jswingchun wrote:1x210 versus 2x110 to me is an easy decision. It's not two trips with two 110s unless you want it to be. They are light enough to carry one in each hand if you want to. But you CAN carry them one at a time if you want. You can also leave one at home if you want to. More choices, more options, more modular.
I can throw my gig bag on my back, my Jack 210 in my right hand, and my toob amp in my left hand. One trip. That is why you go with the 210 over the 110's. Otherwise I agree with you.
Mrrmensneturguneffferremantun

Chris Orttel

#6 Post by Chris Orttel »

One trick I’ve been showing other bass players is to turn the bass knob on your amp all the way down. Set everything else flat. Then crank the snot out of it and get ready for some awesome bass tone. If you need a little bass you can then roll a little in but I’ve never had to go past 9:00. And yes I primarily play 5 string and use the B string. I do this with all bass cabinets now and I get compliments on my tone always. Rehearsal studio rigs, big shows with :clap: backline supplied (usually Ampeg 8x10) pull the bass all the way off, turn it way up. Try it. Of course I’m still sending a full signal to FOH for the subs.
Now see, this seems counterproductive to me. Sure, it will always sound better if you crank it, but drop the bass??!? But I'm a bass player. Those are MY frequencies. If I drop the bass eq, it's gonna sound all clacky and harsh. Or worse, it will sound just like a guitar. :wink:

But I tried it. Woah! Nice! Clear. Warm. Punchy. And dare I say, deep? Depth, but with clarity. No mistaking it for a guitar. Best tone I have gotten out of a little solid state ampeg with only a 12" speaker. My guitar player (and band leader) kept remarking how good THE BAND sounded. And yet, I am only aware of the change in my eq approach. Could it be?

So, I have two questions. How did you find out about this little trick? And why do you think it works?

Oh, and thanks for sharing! :clap:

Gregory East

#7 Post by Gregory East »

It's not a trick when you know what is going on.

There's loads of "bass" in your low mids with way more interesting sound than the fundamental tones. Try the opposite and take out your mids and highs. yuk ek!

Boosting really low bass eq gets the speaker flapping about trying to make those boring flappy noises while neglecting the interesting ones.

The low bass can echo about and distract from the overall sound, you need some but not as much.

For your next trick, get the guitars to roll off some of their bass, leaving your low mids to shine!
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

BassMorpheus

#8 Post by BassMorpheus »

Hey Everyone,

The bass rolloff technique, can anyone explain what is going here? Are you saying, roll off the bass on the EQ and then roll it up as you need it? Just curious guys!

Thanks A Bunch! :confused:

Gregory East

#9 Post by Gregory East »

Roll off low eq,roll on master vol!
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

BassMorpheus

#10 Post by BassMorpheus »

Gregory East wrote:Roll off low eq,roll on master vol!
Thanks Gregory East! I pray this helps with the dreaded booms I am getting at certain locations!

PPJ :clap:

BassMorpheus

#11 Post by BassMorpheus »

My apologies upfront,

The bass eq roll-off technique is the TRUTH. IT just WORKS to the tenth power. I could actually hear myself in a way I have never heard myself before. You can definitely roll in the bass until you reach the sweet spot of the location you are in. Thanks to everyone for their wisdom and sharing!

A 1000x,

Pete Jones :hyper: :noob: :noob: :lol:

Chris_Allen

#12 Post by Chris_Allen »

BassMorpheus wrote:You can definitely roll in the bass until you reach the sweet spot of the location you are in.
Yet again, something that you would have thought was counter intuitive appears to be the truth.

Glad your system is now working much better for you.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

BassMorpheus

#13 Post by BassMorpheus »

Chris_Allen wrote:
BassMorpheus wrote:You can definitely roll in the bass until you reach the sweet spot of the location you are in.
Yet again, something that you would have thought was counter intuitive appears to be the truth.

Glad your system is now working much better for you.

Works everywhere....I do mean everywhere. I can't wait to build a pair of J12s to test the efficiency of amp with speakers...

8)

wounded horse

#14 Post by wounded horse »

jswingchun wrote:1x210 versus 2x110 to me is an easy decision. It's not two trips with two 110s unless you want it to be. They are light enough to carry one in each hand if you want to. But you CAN carry them one at a time if you want. You can also leave one at home if you want to. More choices, more options, more modular. I had an Omni10 which was the predecessor to the Jack 210. I switched to four Jack 110s and would never go back.

That said, it's all personal choice, so build what you want and have fun!
No pic then?....

jswingchun

#15 Post by jswingchun »

wounded horse wrote:No pic then?....
Okay, by request....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212