SLA DJ/Pro style

Post your reviews and pictures here.
bzb

Re: SLA DJ/Pro style

#31 Post by bzb »

Regarding weight, I'm expecting the cabs to be right around 30 lbs finished. The 4-driver version which I will build should come in right at 24 lbs. While I would love to have 18 pounders like the EV ZX1-90s I just returned... I think I'll take the benefits for the slight increase in weight.

Alphalites will only save you 2 lbs per driver. 12 additional lbs is your make or break it point? (although if built with the Alphalites... it *would* bring it closer to the 18 lb point... HMMMM)
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

guitarhiker

#32 Post by guitarhiker »

In regard to the weight issue I just want to stay as light as possible as I usually work with a small ensemble that is mostly middle-school girls in the summer and I want them to be able to take ownership of their sound setup. As you were saying with the alphalites you gain a 2lb weight advantage per driver which with 6 drivers would be 12 lbs. Being a backpacker that counts ounces that is pretty significant. (I just can't carry the 60lb pack anymore like I could when I was twenty something!)

Any thoughts on the Aura neodymium closeouts on PE? Very good low end for a 6" driver and a respectable 91db spl and 50watt rms. Not a pro driver as such but they are under a pound each! Only $10 each in quantity of 4+.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowde ... er=299-030

Benj Ross

#33 Post by Benj Ross »

I would think that the aura would do fine. Bill will need to weigh in with the final word on that. Or just get the plans and see what the driver specs are, when they are available.

Cheers
Benj
Authorized Builder
http://www.westsoundsystems.com (under construction)
Donating a portion of all proceeds to the Friends of Falun Gong
http://www.fofg.org
Peavey and Madisound Dealer

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#34 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Benj Ross wrote:I would think that the aura would do fine. Bill will need to weigh in with the final word on that. Or just get the plans and see what the driver specs are, when they are available.

Cheers
Benj
The recommended driver for the SLA Pro is the Eminence Alpha 6. Other drivers with similar T/S specs and SPL charts will work.

guitarhiker

#35 Post by guitarhiker »

Got the SLA pro plans today as well as the TLAH for comparison. I think what I need and intend to build is a bit in-between the two so I need a couple of clarifications. I want a cab that is floor standing as apposed to pole mounted, but 60" in the max height I can easily haul in my vehicle and I want to keep it light. There was mention in another post of adding another tweeter to the TLAH pro which Bill responded would actually reduce vertical dispersion. I'm thinking I will use 6 or 8 6in drivers in a 60" cab with the melded array. As I mentioned earlier my goal is max horizontal dispersion. I realize the other post was talking about tweeters not mid basses. What I am wondering is if adding a driver vertically reduces vertical dispersion does it increase horizontal dispersion? Will the TLAH have wider dispersion than the SLA?

I like the looks and idea of the melded piezo array which looks fairly easy to do. My question there is for a cabinet size in between the SLA pro and the TLAH pro would the melded 6 piezo or 8 piezo be better or will it make that much difference? Just wondering what kind of dispersion I will get with that setup as my goal is more toward the 120 degree mark.

Lastly, in building something in between the two I'm wondering about porting/tuning. The SLA's handle/ports seem pretty basic so I'm wondering if using more/different drivers what changes would be needed as I am still leaning toward the 6" Aura drivers for the sake of weight. The Qts and Vas is very close but the Fs is actually much lower than the alpha 8 -- the Vas on the Alpha 6 as speced for the SLA is much smaller. I guess I can use WinISD software to calculate a normal bass reflex style tuned port, although the specs of the Aura indicate I could even do a sealed cab and have an F3 of 70-75 depending on box size. Conversely, I don't quite grasp the bottom opening of the trapezoidal free standing TLAH as far as tuning. Is the TLAH shape and opening adaptable enough for changes in number and size of drivers? I remember seeing one post where using a different driver with different specs cause some negative effect on the bass output. My hunch is I would be better off building a variation of a short TLAH than an expanded SLA as the specs are closer except Fs but I don't want to loose bass by mismatching the aura drivers with that design as I better understand how to adapt the more normal SLA type box/ports.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#36 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

guitarhiker wrote:Got the SLA pro plans today as well as the TLAH for comparison. I think what I need and intend to build is a bit in-between the two so I need a couple of clarifications. I want a cab that is floor standing as apposed to pole mounted, but 60" in the max height I can easily haul in my vehicle and I want to keep it light.
I see no reason for a cab that size for your application. If you really need a cab that high, which could drive stadiums without PA support, build two SLA Pro and stack them. You could then set them off-axis in a spiral configuration for the widest possible dispersion.

guitarhiker

#37 Post by guitarhiker »

The point of a cab that high is to only have one thing to carry -- no stand and only one speaker cabinet -- that will have the drivers at a height that will cover the audience. With a Dayton plate amp it literally could be all you carry. I don't quite understand the filling a stadium comment -- then what is the point of using TLAH pro's in small to midsize sanctuary spaces which seems to be the most common use in the posts? By the same logic isn't that overkill? Not meaning to be impertinent but it doesn't all seem to jive.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#38 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

guitarhiker wrote:what is the point of using TLAH pro's in small to midsize sanctuary spaces which seems to be the most common use in the posts? By the same logic isn't that overkill? Not meaning to be impertinent but it doesn't all seem to jive.
That's for pushing an entire band, not one guitar and a mic or two.

bzb

#39 Post by bzb »

Bill, since the piezos are sideways in the Pro, what type of horizontal dispersion are we looking at?

And is it correct to assume that the 6-piezo version just smooths the high frequency response?
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10