SLA DJ/Pro style

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Drey Chennells

Re: SLA DJ/Pro style

#16 Post by Drey Chennells »

ewetho wrote:Basic cabinet specs are above and the cross over point is 4K.
hey thanks. This cab is very similar to a batch of 4 I built in '91 for a church, very cool. What I was wondering was your cab specs re internal volume and port dimensions since you mentioned good resp to 70. Even though these pyles seem kind of like the ubiquitous replacements I've not seen them used..

Pyle Pro PDMW6
Power handling: 125 watts RMS/250 watts max * Voice coil diameter: 1" * Impedance: 8 ohms * Frequency response: 70-9,000 Hz * Magnet weight: 25 oz. * Fs: 67 Hz * SPL: 86.9 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 0.36 cu. ft. * Qms: 4.99 * Qes: .95 * Qts: .80 * Xmax: 3.3 mm * Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 6.5", Cutout Diameter: 5.63", Mounting Depth: 3" * List price: $26.00
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

ewetho

#17 Post by ewetho »

The holes actually killed off some of the bottom but accentuated the 80 Hz frequency for the drummer. Before the holes was smoother up close and went a touch lower actually pretty happy to about 60 although not strongly.

Drey Chennells

#18 Post by Drey Chennells »

ahh so vents are the depth of the baffle then, cool. yea higher tuning the shorter the vent (and bigger the mouth). u could experiment with some damping (stapled 1" fiberglass mat) behind the holes and see what happens, maybe you'll like it (maybe not)..

InfraCoustik
Authorized BF Builder
info@infracoustik.com

Steve Regier

#19 Post by Steve Regier »

The cab is moderately stuffed with poly.
So let it be written ... So let it be done.
"BaronVonSteve"

Drey Chennells

#20 Post by Drey Chennells »

baronvonsteve wrote:The cab is moderately stuffed with poly.
I see. well I was talking about rigging an aperiodic vent, I've had some success tuning response with these, not always, usually in a smallish sealed enclosure and higher q drivers, helps tame impedance peaks and can smooth response in a peaky enclosure while gaining a lower freq bump To work well cab would need to be lined and no stuff in the vent area. Nothing novel, just a thought..

InfraCoustik
Authorized BF Builder
info@infracoustik.com

ewetho

#21 Post by ewetho »

The only PEAKY portion was the tuning option added for the drummer. Otherwise it is just like an SLA that will extend down further. It seems to only affect near-field response which is at this time the desired effect. From across a large room the hump disappears and sounds like an SLA again. When crossed for subs no effect on performance. COOL with me. For now that is just about perfect for us.

However to go further in tuning it might be cool or just build some Double load T24s for the bottom :hyper: !

bzb

#22 Post by bzb »

This looks fantastic, guys. I'm looking to build something similar for smaller house parties/weddings/etc that require form over function. What do you all think of reducing the number of drivers to get this cab closer to 30"?

Also, how do you have the grill mounted? Just a couple small blocks, or is there a complete strip going down the sides?
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

ewetho

#23 Post by ewetho »

You would then take it down to just 4 woofers drivers to get that small. They are really not that big & I do like the larger sound front. Guess you could though.

I would use them indoors in a larger house without reservation, you just won't have to turn them up too loud. They get there in a hurry on their own.

Just used some rubber standoffs Steve had on hand.

guitarhiker

#24 Post by guitarhiker »

I am interested in making a very light portable line array type cabinet for acoustic guitar and vocal production. My goals are a height of about 5 ft as that is the biggest thing I can haul in my car and a foot print about the size of a sheet of paper or preferably smaller with a weight as low as possible. Need to get down to 70 hz pretty solidly for the guitar. I'm familiar with they hype of the various incarnations of the maligned Bose systems and it seems their main advantage is the size/weight factor. I'm wanting something that can give me maximum dispersion width so I can tote just one cabinet for small venues.

Here are my questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1: Which would be the better option for me to order given my design goals -- the SLA or TLAH plans?

2: I wondered given how bose angles every other driver outward in opposite directions in the L1 version 2 for supposed increased dispersion and seeing the V shaped piezo arrays in many of Bills designs and the turned in twin guitar cabinet if there would be any advantage in putting two rows of small full range drivers in a similar turned in V or conversely in two rows of small drivers angled outward -- I was thinking 24 drivers in two rows of 12. I have a number of full range drivers that can go down to 70 with about 8db eq boost in the 64hz and 80hz bands. Wasn't sure if that would help dispersion or cause too much combing problems when using full range drivers. Building a cabinet along these lines isn't a problem as my woodworking skills are extensive so if the two rows would help dispersion it would be worth doing.

3: If the idea for increased dispersion in #2 isn't valid and I should just do a flat front cabinet does anyone have suggestions for light efficient drivers that are inexpensive. I saw mentioned in another forum the Sony closeouts which would be very light and the price is certainly good and with 8 or so the output/wattage would be reasonable but not great. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=299-011.

4: Lastly, going on scenario 3 with mid sized drivers (4.5 to 6.5 range) would there be any advantage in building a cabinet that has the drivers set back into somewhat of a V front and mounting the array of small tweeters in front of them on a small center rail (obviously no room for the piezo array in such a small cabinet).

I realize I may be trying to make things unnecessarily complicated, but I can gain an extra 20 or 30 degrees of dispersion it would be worth the complications in the cabinet design. Hope I'm not asking too much for a newbie on this forum!

bzb

#25 Post by bzb »

From another thread, Bill says he is working on a SLA Pro that will use 4-6 Eminence Alpha 6 drivers. Although it's right up my alley, you might want to await results on it.
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10