THT's and dubstep

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Monomer

Re: THT's and dubstep

#61 Post by Monomer »

One more thing:

Tie-strap tops down when stacking.

One of my otops took a dive during Saturday's show - tweeter array is split in half (fixable) and I'm sure when I open it up the crossover will be damaged, as I can hear some rattle when moving it.

The stack was away from any people, but I'm still glad no-one got hurt...

Another reason to have rubber feet installed. I usually use pole mounts, but there was just no room for a stand.
-AutoTuba; Tang Band 8 inch (x1)
-T39; KappliteLF, 22 wide (x2)
-More to come!

Dave Non-Zero

#62 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

Ouch on the van, and ouch on the otop! My van died last week, so bad to get last minute rental. Damn that eats into the profits. :(
always strap stuff to something!
I'll tell you what's more of a bitch, 2am loadout in the rain. Then having to get up and load the van out again, into my broken van in the morning to get the hire van back by 9am. (in the rain again)
:(
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

DJPhatman

#63 Post by DJPhatman »

Dave Non-Zero wrote:I'll tell you what's more of a bitch, 2am loadout in the rain. Then having to get up and load the van out again, into my broken van in the morning to get the hire van back by 9am. (in the rain again)
Try doing a load out at 1-2:30 AM, in a Tuxedo, in a blizzard with the wind-chill touching -35 degrees F! The bitch don't even show up!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Monomer

#64 Post by Monomer »

Damage report:

The otop has a broken crossover.

Both coils have become unglued, and one has a broken solder joint. A cap also has a broken lead.

Completely repairable, but should have never happened. Rest of the cab looks to be fine.
-More to come!

bean438

#65 Post by bean438 »

SeisTres wrote:congrats monomer. Do you plan on getting kick bins for the system? or are you just going to run subs and tops?

What's a kick bin? I thought tops and subs were a complete system?

SeisTres

#66 Post by SeisTres »

bean438 wrote:
SeisTres wrote:congrats monomer. Do you plan on getting kick bins for the system? or are you just going to run subs and tops?

What's a kick bin? I thought tops and subs were a complete system?
They are, but some people prefer to run four way systems and some even five way systems. Subs covering anything less than 50-60hz, then kickbins come in which cover anywhere from 150hz-400hz, then the mids and tweets. However, the five way system splits the mid/tweet into mids, highs and super highs.

me? i'll keep the piezos the mids and subs, nothing more.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

LEVLHED

#67 Post by LEVLHED »

very very interesting...

All this time I didn't realize you were using THT's. I think I'd really like to hear a pair! (or four or eight).
Generally speaking my DJ work does not require such extension, but for me personally I think I would really enjoy that. The T60 is just plain impractical for me...but I could see a pair of 24" THT's being manageable.

I might have to build one for my home theater and see what this is all about. I've currently got 2 powered Polks in there, each with an on board 2000 watt amp.
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.

WiSounds

#68 Post by WiSounds »

facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

LEVLHED

#69 Post by LEVLHED »

heh heh, yup. I don't play dubstep/DnB (though I've been known to throw a remix or two in just for my own enjoyment), but knowing what it's *supposed* to sound like has me wishing my rig was @ that same kind of levl. It's a different kind of "sub to tops" ratio thing that people who listen to top 40 or country or rock can't really comprehend....until they hear it.

My perspective on bass changed in 2001(?) @ "Turned On 2" in Madison, WI. The main rig consisted of a stack of subs literally 12 feet high and 75 feet wide. I've heard "a million watts" thrown around in reference to that night but I have no idea if its accurate. It was insane. I've been chasing that experience ever since. Granted I won't be driving a semi tractor to gigs anytime so I wouldn't mind something on a more practical pack size scale :idea:
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.

SeisTres

#70 Post by SeisTres »

What did happen to wi? did he ever the project started?
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

metaverse

#71 Post by metaverse »

This thread gives me goosebumps :hyper:
PRODUCT IDEA : Speaker Placements for Rooms of Various Shapes & Sizes : A Video Series / YouTube Channel

Monomer

#72 Post by Monomer »

SeisTres wrote:
What did happen to wi? did he ever the project started?
School, and lots of bowling (I presume)

He's designing "The Dubhorn" using a TC sound driver. Also designing the Wiarray. I've heard a couple of the boxes, and they sound great!

The THT's are getting torn apart and checked for leaks and loose braces. I have a gig here in Detroit on Christmas, they want all six fired up indoors. I'll be powering them with a mackie5000 in stereo mode, three per side. Should be loud!
-More to come!

metaverse

#73 Post by metaverse »

Is it a dubsmas party ??

If so I may just make it out for the holiday ... I'll be within a couple of hours of Detroit :fruit:

Also ... did you ever pair any omnitop 15's with those THT's ??

I'm in the process of getting together a build and after reading this thread won't be building the 12's for fear of the mids missing ...
PRODUCT IDEA : Speaker Placements for Rooms of Various Shapes & Sizes : A Video Series / YouTube Channel

Drey Chennells

#74 Post by Drey Chennells »

metaverse wrote:Also ... did you ever pair any omnitop 15's with those THT's ??

I'm in the process of getting together a build and after reading this thread won't be building the 12's for fear of the mids missing ...

Metaverse, running a THT without the access panel creates a massive dip from 75-120hz. and response below 38hz dives.. this graph of the THT with no cover tells the story..
open chamber.jpg
with the panel as designed..
THTgraph.gif
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

WiSounds

#75 Post by WiSounds »

Drey Chennells wrote: Metaverse, running a THT without the access panel creates a massive dip from 75-120hz. and response below 38hz dives.. this graph of the THT with no cover tells the story..
open chamber.jpg
with the panel as designed..
THTgraph.gif
Free field measurements of the actual cabs indicates a deeper response, with the null at 90hz.

There are graphs, I just can't find them.

As for me:

I have been bowling a ton recently, going back to school, and snow skiing.

I successfully prototyped and tested a pair of WiRay10 tops, Monomer has heard them. Ran out of money and had to shelve the project.

The Dubhorn is an 18hz corner horn with a 10" driver, a 6 pack will take 3kw and do 140db 18hz up corner loaded.

Both the Dubhorn and WiRay project are on hold until I get the funding to continue.
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen: