Titan48 vs T24 Omni 10vsDR250

Post your reviews and pictures here.
LelandCrooks

Titan48 vs T24 Omni 10vsDR250

#1 Post by LelandCrooks »

One of the local bands called and asked me to provide sound for a gig locally last nite . I said sure, as it was a good oppotunity to try out the as yet unfinished titan. So I feverishly finished the nite before. I at least got it routered and sanded.

I did try it out at work yesterday with some recorded music. When I first fired it up, I have to admit I thought I had screwed up. I chose the 3015's instead of dual HL10'cs, and it just did not seem to have that feeling of authority that a pair of t24's loaded with HL's had. At that point I was wishing I'd gone with the duals, or stayed with my t24's.

I went to the gig with a real kludge of a setup. A peavey xrc600 driving the mains, :) a bash 300 sub amp for the titan. :oops: (Run whatcha brung) No eq except for the little one on the XR, the bash driven from the mon circuit so no eq on it at all. After a little reflection, I remembered the Bash is 300w at 4ohms, so I'm getting about 100-125w into this 10 ohm load. I used to drive the t24's with 500w per cab. Got the band setup, started tweaking as best possible. I finally had to set the xover on the bash at about 100hz, had a a huge feedback at 125-130 I couldn't eq out. (No Eq). This is a really hard room to set up. I did have it wall loaded. Once I got that out the grin finally came :) The music was detuned metal. This thing is a live sound killer. The kick drum was tight, strong and had physical force all over the 50x50 bar area. We miked the bass guitar with the second band, and the bass came alive. I was very happy with it. With a minimal amp, no outboard processing, and pretty primitive gear I got an awesome sound. I can't wait to put some real power to it.

Bottom line, I've used both. Bill is dead on with tubas for dj's, titans for bands. That extra few db in the middle of the passband makes a huge difference for live. But if I were a dj, or a band with lots of low energy synth, I'd do tubas.

This was my first time out with the omnis, except for test and tune. They are used in my rental rig. (Which is the XR600c). They were easy to eq, (little feedback @250 which I pulled out), and sounded great. Vocals were crisp, clear and easily over the top of two very loud bands. When we miked the instruments in the second band it was detailed, and clean. Bottom line, DR250's are better, lighter and cooler. Omnis are no slouches, and a much easier build. If DR's didn't exist, they'd be serious contenders for the king of the hill in a small cab.

I thought I'd post this here first and move it to reviews later.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

DJ Big Ronn

#2 Post by DJ Big Ronn »

I've only used one Titan so far, but the bass that I get is Phenominal. All I use it for is DJing, and I love it. Getting the second one running should surely impress me. I do have to play rap and bass heavy music for B-day parties and schools, but I'd say that 75% of the time I'm playing French, Zydeco and Swamp pop music. I dont know about the tuba's as I've never heard them, but I love the live sound that my 250's and T48's give me. The old timers that play in french bands really appreciate the realistic sound that I give off when I play thier music at parties.