Leland's AutoTuba and how the 'Deathbox compares'

Post your reviews and pictures here.
LelandCrooks

Leland's AutoTuba and how the 'Deathbox compares'

#1 Post by LelandCrooks »

I fired up the autotuba for the first time. It had just been setting around waiting for the car to get fixed. I hooked it up to the bash 300w amp, corner loaded it and got rocked. :shock:

I expected good, but not this good. I'm really amazed at this box. I can see why some guys are using them for backline and bass PA. It's a killer in a small package. Really for HT in a moderate room it would be plenty. Sure rocks my 18x18 room.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

DJ Big Ronn

#2 Post by DJ Big Ronn »

Hey Leland, What's the scoop on the autotuba vs the Deathbox conclusion. If they produce that well, then I'll put two in my suv and be able to use them at smaller jobs. I can put my rack and autotubas in the back, DR250's and cd's in the back seat and leave the trailer at home.

LelandCrooks

#3 Post by LelandCrooks »

Does the phrase toothpick to a knife fight have any meaning.
:twisted:

So I went and got the deathbox, and was immediately struck by it's weight. It's built out of 3/4mdf, and even though it's about 1/2 the size of the at, it weighs more, a LOT more. It's loaded with peavey 10" scorpion or black widow, I don't remember which. plugged it into the bash 300w sub amp, changing no settings from the at, corner loaded just like the at. There was some bass, nothing like the at. So I started playing with the xover point and finally got something really audible with the crossover at about 125. The box has a real bloom in the 90-110 range. I had the Autotuba crossed at about 80. Still nowhere near the autotuba. So I cranked the gain on the bash and just about the time it got near the AT in terms of volume the driver went pop, pop, pop and it was done. Third driver this damn box has cost me. It's a one note wonder, I had forgotten how it sounds. My AT has the 8" tang band in it.

The AT will effortlessly vibrate my 18x18 tv room with 12 ft ceilings. The deathbox was never even close. It's all boom, no real bass. Ah well, I hadn't needed that driver for a couple of years, so not much lost. :roll:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com