Reminder: Don't 2nd Guess the Plans

Get the lowdown on the down low.
bgavin

Reminder: Don't 2nd Guess the Plans

#1 Post by bgavin »

New members, please take note: don't second guess the plans.

Unlike most products, the plans here are fully optimized for the very best components.
You don't have to add dual exhaust, change the cam or fiddle with a reprogrammed computer chip.

This means:
Use the recommended wood and thickness. Changing dimension screws up the measurements entirely.
Use the recommended driver. Bill chooses the very best drivers for the plans.
Don't leave out any components that you don't understand or want to 2nd-guess.
There is absolutely nothing in the plans that is simply tossed in for good measure.

If money is an issue, give up smoking or skip a pizza. Or Starbucks.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

ben.in.salzburg

Re: Reminder: Don't 2nd Guess the Plans

#2 Post by ben.in.salzburg »

Also, don't attach the plans to your workbench using PU! That kinda forced me to (second) guess the last bit of my build!

SeisTres

#3 Post by SeisTres »

ben.in.salzburg wrote:Also, don't attach the plans to your workbench using PU! That kinda forced me to (second) guess the last bit of my build!
Just be glad you printed them out and it was not your laptop that got stuck :shock:
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

bzb

#4 Post by bzb »

This could turn out to be a gold thread ;)

You should have just left the duratex on the jeans. Could use them as protective motorcycle jeans!
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

Spoon

#5 Post by Spoon »

I followed the plans to a T on my first T39. Guess I felt I was a veteran builder by the second one. Bill clearly states, "Chamfer the holes, especially on the inside, where they won’t be accessible after assembly. If you have a router with a pattern following bit make a pattern for the handle holes to speed the process." I wasn't worried about the inside. I was installing quarter round. So I figured , I'll just rout the handles when I do the rest of the cabinet. See, smart guy. Wise decision for time management. BUT...... Only one little problem. Bill calls it panel 9. I called it mother.... something or another. It sits tightly in the corner. So there wasn't enough clearance for the shaft of my router to do one side of each handle hole. Break out the rasp and finish by hand. I thought of Bills favorite comment :iitp: , which let me to one I was saying to myself, "should have FTFP."
Built:
2 OT12's 2512 CD
2 OT12's 2512 Melded Array
4 Titan 39's 30" 3012LF
4 Titan 39's 20" 3012LF
6 Wedgehorn 8's
1 Wedgehorn10
2 AutoTuba's 18" w/MCM 8"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LSW-Lana ... 080?ref=hl

David Carter

#6 Post by David Carter »

Radian wrote:3 T-shirts and one pair of pants also sacrificed to the PL gods.
Each time I embark on a new build, I deliberately pick an old t-shirt that I don't care about losing and wear it during every work session because I know by the time the cab is finished, it will be able to stand upright without me in it due to all the PL, Duratex, etc. that has been wiped or dripped on it. :lol:
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

Israel

#7 Post by Israel »

brads on my fingers, PU all over the place (incluiding myself and my dog Chiste) and this one is good really good sometimes when i feel tired i go to a nap on my hammock (to recharging batteries you know) then I wasn't aware that i got PU on my hands i placed my hands under my head and slept 2 hours and goosshhh my hands were glued to my hair #$%#@^%$ i was "like hands on your head lil bastard"" and over that I fail the last step of the stairs of my shop and fell face down to the floor :wall: :bash: :loler: I wish I had a security camera... Good Luck that no one saw me doing abwork until I decided to peel out my hands from my hair and for all that will ask yes I cried like a weeny baby
There is a very thin line between fail and success. It is very thin so, why are you scared???

MADE
4- OT12'S BETAII
4 T39'S 20" 3012LF LOADED
ON THE BENCH: 2 OT212

LelandCrooks

#8 Post by LelandCrooks »

I have something PL won't stick to. My work bench is a 1-1/2 thick slab of oak that came out of my Dad's hardware store. 50yrs of engine repair, pumps and whatever needed working on have been fixed on it. If it was broke, it came to Crooks Hardware. Slop PL just scrapes right off.

Been thinking about a shop apron. I've ruined so many clothes. Mebbe a light leather one. PL should scrape off it.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

LelandCrooks wrote:I have something PL won't stick to. My work bench is a 1-1/2 thick slab of oak that came out of my Dad's hardware store. 50yrs of engine repair, pumps and whatever needed working on have been fixed on it.
It's the oil. Take a new wooden bench top and give it multiple coats of linseed oil and you'll have a nice non-stick surface.

CafSentryGnome

#10 Post by CafSentryGnome »

so a will this driver work section to try and keep it all in one spot?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CafSentryGnome wrote:so a will this driver work section to try and keep it all in one spot?
With the number of drivers out there and the number of cabs we offer it would overflow our bandwidth, and end up even more confusing for newbies. Take a look here to see how complicated it can be:
http://www.thielesmall.com/
Most of the driver inquiries come from those who want to use drivers on hand, and most of those I can answer with just a glance at the specs. I don't think we get more than two or three driver queries a week, so it's not exactly a major issue.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DrDoug018 wrote: I think a FAQ section would be great
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

If other topics come up that deserve to be added I will, but to be frank doing so just adds more to the 'ignore' pile where many are concerned.

wr_anders

#13 Post by wr_anders »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
DrDoug018 wrote: I think a FAQ section would be great
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

If other topics come up that deserve to be added I will, but to be frank doing so just adds more to the 'ignore' pile where many are concerned.
Honestly, I lurked around here for about 2 months before I signed up and even then, I just saw that FAQ a couple weeks ago.

Honestly, I think that the Registration Requirements and the FAQ should be in their own 'General' section at the top of the index page. Would be easier to see and when new people come looking, they'll see that pop out at them first and will be more likely to read it.

Just my spare change on the subject.
LET THE BASS CANNON KICK IT
Amps this big are basically arc welders with an input.:lol:
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

wr_anders wrote:
Honestly, I think that the Registration Requirements and the FAQ should be in their own 'General' section at the top of the index page. Would be easier to see and when new people come looking, they'll see that pop out at them first and will be more likely to read it. .
:confused:
They're the first two sections on the top of the page. If I could arrange for them to shoot fireworks to get everyone's attention I would.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#15 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Zack Brock wrote:No matter how eloquently you wordsmith it and no matter how in-your-face-obvious you make it, there is a pretty large subset of the public that will not read it. No matter where it is on the site, no matter how friendly and inviting it is made to be.
Reading FAQs seems to be almost as much an affront to one's manhood as asking for directions despite being totally lost. :noob:

Indian not lost. Trail lost.