Reminder: Don't 2nd Guess the Plans

Get the lowdown on the down low.
NCcrashman

Re: Reminder: Don't 2nd Guess the Plans

#16 Post by NCcrashman »

I would like to add 1 more note about this. As a "newbie", I have a message to other newb's about the plans that is VERY important. Bill makes a comment in the first paragraph that you should read the entire plan TWICE. It is also important to then study them. I found that using the 3-D program has really helped resolve some issues I didn't understand in the plans. I also found that as you go through the plans, study each section then look at that section in the 3-D "viewer" to get some perspectives of how it looks installed and finish. The 3-D is really the "missing link" in understanding the plans. This thing is super important and makes all the difference in the world. I am really starting to understand the importance of preperation and organization BEFORE you even cut the first piece of wood.

-Patrick
"If it's too loud, your too old! What's that? I didn't hear you"
Friends don't let friends use crappy speakers!

Kgveteran

#17 Post by Kgveteran »

I opened up the plans for a TT. I felt a little intimidated, but over the last three days it's starting to sink in. Everyone I read them over something else made sense. I'm glad I can't start these for a few weeks, it'll give me enough time to gather up all my wares fro the build

Tom Smit

#18 Post by Tom Smit »

Kgveteran wrote:I opened up the plans for a TT. I felt a little intimidated, but over the last three days it's starting to sink in. Everyone I read them over something else made sense. I'm glad I can't start these for a few weeks, it'll give me enough time to gather up all my wares fro the build
That's what I do. Read, and read, and read, and read.....you get the picture. Finally the stuff starts sinking in and I can visualize every cut, and every part being installed. Then, when it's time to build, I dry-fit a panel making sure of the location, the clamps, the 'squareness' of the upright panel. Then I disassemble the clamps, apply the PL and install as practiced.
TomS

Steve Regier

#19 Post by Steve Regier »

I too have ruined a piece of wood or two (maybe even a cab) by rushing ahead or not fully understanding the plans. For me that is part of the learning process. After all there must be some Y in DIY.
:lol:
So let it be written ... So let it be done.
"BaronVonSteve"