18'' drivers recycling

Get the lowdown on the down low.
joblow88

18'' drivers recycling

#1 Post by joblow88 »

Hey there, I'm new to this PA world but also a trained woodworker

I have read Bill's post about 18'' drivers and their limitation for horn loaded cab.
I also have 4 JBL 18SWS1100 wich the manufacturer advertise suitable for horn. https://jblpro.com/en-US/products/18sws1100
They also sell horn with these drivers inside. https://jblpro.com/products/ash6118

I would rater use the drivers that i already own insted of getting new ones for economical and ecological reasons. i was wondering if it was a full no go like bill sais or these are an exeption??
Also since all the plans are made to fit smaller drivers can i just scale it up until it fits or it is more complicated than that?

Thank you

Bruce Weldy

Re: 18'' drivers recycling

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

It would require a whole new design. Sell those JBLs and buy the correct ones. Those are expensive enough to probably get the new drivers with the proceeds.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

And welcome to the forum. Tell us what you plan to use the subs for and we'll help send in the right direction. Live sound, DJ, etc.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

That Selenium driver wouldn't work well in a horn, the Qes is too high. It's not used in the ASH6118 cab, the 2242H is.

ACUA

#5 Post by ACUA »

Hello and welcome. I am not sure the resource exists anymore, but there used to be,”stuff from the archives”. I read through that stuff a lot trying my best to understand what is what about horn loaded loud speakers. I remember reactance annulling, horn throat velocities as two topic of the many that I was reading. The driver parameters effect how a horn can be or needs to be made. The horn length, expansion rate, starting horn volume, ending horn volume, the fold angles, number of folds, etc all interact with each other. Shift one parameter and everything else shifts one way or another.

I have been building and using Bill’s designs for a few years now, I have concluded that I can’t design anything better. Having said that I am one to deviate and experiment. I am in the process of trying to put an 8” driver into a tuba45 that was only ever intended to us a 10-12” driver. Will it work, how well, I will find out.

I understand that 18” drivers do not make good horn drivers. If you have the power to drive several smaller dia drivers you spread the heat and can have higher motor control while equaling the same cone displacement as a single larger driver. Apply this to these horns. They are already huge cabinets to begin with, accommodate for an 18” and the cab gets to be too big, I can hardly handle mine loads with 12”s. I am not sure that modern tech would not make a 18” hold up in a horn but that experiment could get costly.

My advice, stick as close to the plans as you can, that is build a subwoofer horn that suits your need, locate a driver that fits the spec requirements of the horn you intend to build. That is the only way you can be sure to succeed.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

joblow88

#6 Post by joblow88 »

Thanks a lot for all these enlightening answers. Bruce I will used them mainly in outside live music set. Anywhere from acoustic folk to deat metal and electronic music.
This site is awesome

ACUA

#7 Post by ACUA »

If you build them well enough the speakers are pretty awesome as well!

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!
Those drivers will work in a Simplexx18 PA cab.
Have you read this? ....... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1130
TomS

tallevan

#9 Post by tallevan »

Not to be a wise-arse, but according to the plans the Qts for that driver appears to be too high for the Simplexx 18 at 0.5.
Maybe more suitable for a sealed enclosure from what I read.
But I read a lot of things..

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

tallevan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:43 am Not to be a wise-arse,
Don't apologize.

My daddy always said it was better to be a smart-ass than a dumb-ass. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

joblow88 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:10 pm Thanks a lot for all these enlightening answers. Bruce I will used them mainly in outside live music set. Anywhere from acoustic folk to deat metal and electronic music.
This site is awesome
As Tom suggested, the JBLs might work in a Simplex box. But, if you have woodworking skills - then you gotta build a horn. Much more efficient and bang for the buck.

For what you listed above, I'd suggest T39s or T48s. The Titan series is going to be louder, whereas the Tubas will go lower. For live music, you need loud, not low.

I use T39s for all of my live music shows. Even high-passed at 45-50hz, there is plenty of low end. They are easily movable by one person with the casters in the plans. T48s are an option, but the extra height and depth is a lot more than the numbers describe.....they are pretty big boxes.

I've been running T39s for 10 years and they are workhorses. Did a show last night with just my two narrow ones inside. For big shows and outside shows, it's all 6 of 'em. Never lost a driver either. If you build 'em according to the plans and use the proper limiting - they are bullet-proof. And it's fun to watch people's faces when you finally reveal that they aren't 18s or even 15s.....they are 12s.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

ACUA

#12 Post by ACUA »

I recently built a 16” wide table tuba for my home theater setup. Using a $40 8” driver, a 150watt amp with the gain knob at 50%, clamped it comes out to about 8v and it shakes my whole house! It is awesome!

I am hoping to find success with these little MCM52-2421 8” drivers in a tuba45 pa sub, it would be a ton of fun to brag that my subs are only 8” drivers!

joblow88

#13 Post by joblow88 »

Thanks for all the advices

Ill make a t39 pair.