Outdoor DJ Tuba 30 vs Titan 48

Get the lowdown on the down low.
blake8188

Outdoor DJ Tuba 30 vs Titan 48

#1 Post by blake8188 »

For a DJ doing outdoor drum n bass gigs, what are the pros and cons of using the Tuba 30 vs the Titan 48?
I know that the titan is louder but the bass extension on the tuba 30 seems more appropriate. Any advice is appreciated :)

J_Dunavin

Re: Outdoor DJ Tuba 30 vs Titan 48

#2 Post by J_Dunavin »

I haven't built the T48 yet, but I'm not sure the extra extension of the T30 will do much good outdoors, unless you have some good wall boundary to work with.
Every outdoor gig I had done with my T45s I upped the high pass.

Someone with T48 experience i'm sure will chime in
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

If you don't have it already, download audacity.
Use it to determine bass frequency content.
If more than say 25% of the songs you play feature content below 40Hz (the High pass for less than 4 cabs), then the T30 may well be the cab for you. If you get to 4 cabs with T48's, then high pass becomes 35Hz and if that's ok, T48's will trump T30's from 38Hz up all day every day.

You have to measure before you can decide.

Please take into account also that wider cab widths presents more (almost free) output in comparison to a narrower cab of the same design. It always recommended here to build as wide as your pack space allows.
So, part of your decision also needs to revolve around pack space (How you carry this gear around, and how much space it takes to move).

Outdoors is the hardest environment to reproduce subb bass in, as there is usually no where to load for more free output.
Whatever you decide, you will need at least 4 cabs I reckon to do it right.

BTW, when I said high pass before, you need to allow for a DSP unit that allows that. As well as brick wall limiting, crossovers, EQ, RTA, and so on.
Best bang for buck I reckon is the DBX driverack series. It doesn't have to be a new Driverack PA2, an older style will do the job, but it is mandatory when using these cab, not desirable.
You don't want to get out there, then blow subs because you didn't protect them.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

In a similar width comparison, T48 is superior, hands down. Throughout much/most of the usable frequency range the T48 would match the T30's output with ½ - ¼ or less amplifier power. Bottom chart, 60Hz... if the T30 were fed a 28volt signal (~100 watts), the T48 would match the output with only 9.15volts (~10.5Watts).

In the comparison above, the T30 is 8.3 ft³ and the T48 is 10 ft³

In the comparison above, the T30 is 14 ft³ and the T48 is 16 ft³
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

And a T48 with casters is much easier to move around than a T30 on casters .... unless you are only 4 feet tall.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

blake8188

#6 Post by blake8188 »

Grant Bunter wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:04 am

Please take into account also that wider cab widths presents more (almost free) output in comparison to a narrower cab of the same design. It always recommended here to build as wide as your pack space allows.
So, part of your decision also needs to revolve around pack space (How you carry this gear around, and how much space it takes to move).

Outdoors is the hardest environment to reproduce subb bass in, as there is usually no where to load for more free output.
Whatever you decide, you will need at least 4 cabs I reckon to do it right.

Okay, so transport isn't a huge problem for me, so I can lug the T48's around.

I was thinking minimum 4 cabs since they also act as a barrier between DJ and audience at the type of events the system is going to be used for. We're pretty much starting from scratch in terms of soundsystem, so in general any recommendations for an affordable DIY build sound system from scratch would be appreciated.
Thanks.

blake8188

#7 Post by blake8188 »

Seth wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:35 am In a similar width comparison, T48 is superior, hands down. Throughout much/most of the usable frequency range the T48 would match the T30's output with ½ - ¼ or less amplifier power. Bottom chart, 60Hz... if the T30 were fed a 28volt signal (~100 watts), the T48 would match the output with only 9.15volts (~10.5Watts).
Looking to save money wherever it's reasonable to do so, it sounds like the T48 is the better option in terms of spending less money on amplifiers?

Seth

#8 Post by Seth »

blake8188 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:03 pm
Seth wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:35 am In a similar width comparison, T48 is superior, hands down. Throughout much/most of the usable frequency range the T48 would match the T30's output with ½ - ¼ or less amplifier power. Bottom chart, 60Hz... if the T30 were fed a 28volt signal (~100 watts), the T48 would match the output with only 9.15volts (~10.5Watts).
Looking to save money wherever it's reasonable to do so, it sounds like the T48 is the better option in terms of spending less money on amplifiers?
I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting less amplification than the most permitted by the cabs design and driver combination allows. However, if that was a step in your plan, to start small and upgrade as finances allow... yes, the T48 will have more output, watt for watt, than the T30 will.

If transportation really isn't a problem for you and cab size is not very important, it's tough to beat a 36 inch wide T48 loaded with a 3015LF. I'm not sure how much space you need to cover, but 4 of those would most likely cover it. If not overkill.

I don't listen to a ton of Drum and Bass, but it seems most of it doesn't have really low content. The T39 may also be a suitable option for you too. But, then again, if transport space isn't a concern, no reason not to go 36" T48.

What sort of space do you intend to cover?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

blake8188

#9 Post by blake8188 »

Seth wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:32 pm
blake8188 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:03 pm
I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting less amplification than the most permitted by the cabs design and driver combination allows. However, if that was a step in your plan, to start small and upgrade as finances allow... yes, the T48 will have more output, watt for watt, than the T30 will.

If transportation really isn't a problem for you and cab size is not very important, it's tough to beat a 36 inch wide T48 loaded with a 3015LF. I'm not sure how much space you need to cover, but 4 of those would most likely cover it. If not overkill.

What sort of space do you intend to cover? I'm not huge into Drum and Bass, but it seems most of it doesn't have really low content. The T39 may also be a suitable option for you too. But, then again, if transport space isn't a concern, no reason not to go 36" T48.
At a lot of the bass music 'guerilla' gigs this rig would be used for, there is no barrier except for the sub cabs themselves, so size does matter here. I expect not to need heaps of super low sub bass, but that definitely is part of the culture down in New Zealand, especially because the clubs have sound limits whereas barns and forests do not. If not T48's for this purpose than what would you recommend? Cabs like the Tuba 60 appeal less to me due to the horn being long and not tall.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Sub woofers radiate omni-directionally. Other than where the distance to boundaries are concerned it doesn't matter which direction they're facing.

Seth

#11 Post by Seth »

blake8188 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:02 pm At a lot of the bass music 'guerilla' gigs this rig would be used for, there is no barrier except for the sub cabs themselves, so size does matter here. I expect not to need heaps of super low sub bass, but that definitely is part of the culture down in New Zealand, especially because the clubs have sound limits whereas barns and forests do not. If not T48's for this purpose than what would you recommend? Cabs like the Tuba 60 appeal less to me due to the horn being long and not tall.
T48 is a great choice unless the size or weight is an issue.

Here's some T48's set up outdoors, similar to how you're describing (not my setup, just found the pic in a google search)
198030908_1677456022465146_7978425240977342278_n.jpg
I suspect this photo belongs to Wylandright206 and/or Armchair Pirate, users here on this forum.

Here's what Wyland had to say about them
Wylandright206 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:39 am Myself and armchair pirate worked a renegade festival this weekend and we brought two of our t48s out, and I'll say, that was nothing short of a treat. I cant imagine why a majority of society would ever have a need for more than 2. These things make f1s f221 sound like small dice.We had people dancing 2 miles up the river follow the sound, and eventually find us to join the party. I never felt like i was anywhere near topping out at any point. But the ground in front of the horns was basically hovering at the kick. I dont know what you did bill but you did the shit out of it and I'm happy to rep your brand here in seattle. I wish leland still had those BFM name badges I would buy 8. Basically every attendee and musician was consistently absolutely floored by the sound being produced by your designs. I'm convinced anyone who doesnt enjoy the sound of these is either a paid shill or completely deaf.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

ACUA

#12 Post by ACUA »

I built 4 Tuba45 cabs 24in wide loaded with lab12 drivers. I struggle to be contracted/hired for gigs where I get to deploy and fully utilize all of them. Only high school dances with 300-ish people screaming do I get away with running them full tilt. Even then the venues complain about the low frequency content. Out door events, I do a Halloween party in a park annually and I am asked to project across about a football field size area where I can turn the gain up some but with residential real estate circling the park I only get about two cabs worth of output before the complaints start rolling in. even though I personally like the ultra low frequency reproduction aka sub 30hz area the truth is that almost none of the musical content I play functions in that area. when it does the venues and neighbors complain. I am producing a product no one but me wants. I was warned intently when I started out here about using those lab subs and making my sub cabinets overly large, that my back would regret it. At the time I was just wanting the cheapest loud bass I could get and was not able to imagine gigging sufficiently such that it would be an issue. Having said all of that, in hind sight, I would rather today have 8 16-18in wide Titan48 units loaded with a light weight driver, likely the budget recommended driver honestly. Cost would have been about the same, scalability would be better and I would still have more low frequency potential than I can effectively deploy. My hand full of plastic pennies. !!!
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

himhimself

#13 Post by himhimself »

ACUA wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:13 am I am producing a product no one but me wants.
That soooooo sucks. But I feel your pain. I also worried about having enough oomph, never thought I'd have too much. How can you have too much low end, right?
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

ACUA

#14 Post by ACUA »

I spent years trying to afford and build sound equipment capable of producing 20-40hz sound at 110-140spl levels in automotive environments. It is so cool to me to feel air move you to a good beat. I love how it is seemingly invisible and yet utterly tactile. I love having a deep deep bass line drop and then hear the higher frequency content cut and weave through it. I have spent a lot of money in this silly pursuit. It was magic when I discovered the BFM horn designs. I could DIY largely my way but remove most of the guess work. this equipment is efficient, inexpensive, and hifi. I quickly built 4 monster cabs the second I could afford to.

Now the majority of events I do a single tuba45 cab gets the job done to the needs of my clients. I am still in shock how can you have too much low end?
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

iliasroub

#15 Post by iliasroub »

A couple of years ago I was trying to decide what kind of cabs I would build.
I decided to go with 4 DR250 and 2 Tuba30 subs 20 inch wide due to the low end extension (did the Audacity analysis and there was to much low end in the content I usually reproduce).
I was also ,like yourself, sceptical if i should choose one design over the other(T30 vs T48).
The plan was to try the Tubas and if I liked them enough I would build more. The Tubas were fantastic both indoors and outdoors soundwise. The only complaint I had was that the shape was not very practical to move around or stack in my trailer.
After a couple of months a friend of mine wanted to do a beach party and I decided to build 4 T48 16inch wide to try them as well and see how they compare with the T30.
Haven't used the Tubas since then..
Believe me you won't regret it if you go with the T48 design.