Flatpack/kit for T48

Get the lowdown on the down low.
blake8188

Flatpack/kit for T48

#1 Post by blake8188 »

Hello everyone,
while looking at ordering the kit/flatpack for the T48, i noticed there are 2 options, the $167.95 kit https://www.speakerhardware.com/titan-4 ... er-kit.php or the $389.95 flatpack https://www.speakerhardware.com/titan-4 ... t-pack.php.
What is the difference between these 2? I'm looking to just order everything in one go, rather than having to wait for several different imports (I'm in New Zealand so one package for shipping is ideal).

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Flatpack/kit for T48

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Questions about products, pricing or item availability, custom orders: questions@speakerhardware.com

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

+1 on what Bill said, check with Speakerhardware.
Leyland (the founder of Speakerhardware) is a forum member here, but we haven't seen him around a lot lately.

A quick glance suggests the first link is driver, corner, hardware. The second link is ply, based on width. You would need both packs to build a cab.

What you need to do is ask questions about your selection, and have them answered in order to decide if the cab is right for your needs.

Can you not get cabs built locally (or even better build then yourself)? Shipping flatpacks is going to really hurt you at the moment.
A former NZ based authorised builder used to use hoop pine IIRC.
There is an eminence dealer in NZ. While they are expensive, do your sums regarding shipping from the USA, as it may be cost neutral either way at the moment, but buying local gives you warranty.
Duratex cab paint is also available in NZ, or can be bought from Cannonsound in Sydney. There is a Penn Elcom outlet in Melbourne if there isn't one in NZ.

Do some research mate. Check out trademe for stuff, compare pricing. The whole idea of DIY is to save money compared to commercial pricing. The more you can do, the more you save...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

blake8188

#4 Post by blake8188 »

Grant Bunter wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:46 am +1 on what Bill said, check with Speakerhardware.
Leyland (the founder of Speakerhardware) is a forum member here, but we haven't seen him around a lot lately.

A quick glance suggests the first link is driver, corner, hardware. The second link is ply, based on width. You would need both packs to build a cab.

What you need to do is ask questions about your selection, and have them answered in order to decide if the cab is right for your needs.

Can you not get cabs built locally (or even better build then yourself)? Shipping flatpacks is going to really hurt you at the moment.
A former NZ based authorised builder used to use hoop pine IIRC.
There is an eminence dealer in NZ. While they are expensive, do your sums regarding shipping from the USA, as it may be cost neutral either way at the moment, but buying local gives you warranty.
Duratex cab paint is also available in NZ, or can be bought from Cannonsound in Sydney. There is a Penn Elcom outlet in Melbourne if there isn't one in NZ.

Do some research mate. Check out trademe for stuff, compare pricing. The whole idea of DIY is to save money compared to commercial pricing. The more you can do, the more you save...
Yup, You're right about what the flatpack and kit include.

The T48 seems to be the best option for what I want to do when factoring in cost and complication of build.

While every man and their dog seems to know a trade where I live, they all want to charge stupidly high amounts for cutting/precutting the plywood, not even factoring in construction.

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Can or have you ever used a circular saw, a jigsaw and a drill?
If you can answer yes to all three, you'll save a shit ton of money building the cabs yourself.
Cab plans are very comprehensive, on a step by step basis.

Or maybe a mate that owns and can use tools could help you out.
A quick search for radiata pine ply in NZ says Plymaster sells 12mm 2400 x 1200 sheets at $101.53NZ each once you get to 9 sheets, and I reckon, roughly, you'd need about 12 sheets for 4 cabs 30" wide.

4 x 30" wide T48 flatpacks shipped to me using the calculator in checkout with Leland would be not far off $5000US, or $7139NZ.
Still no drivers comers and plates in that either...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Seth

#6 Post by Seth »

I'm with Grant... Build them yourself or find a friend, family member, or a family member of a friend to help you out if need be. The plans are pretty thorough and we're here to help too.
Grant Bunter wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:40 am ...A quick search for radiata pine ply in NZ says Plymaster sells 12mm 2400 x 1200 sheets at $101.53NZ each once you get to 9 sheets...
Looks like they have a B/CC construction grade option as well, that brings the price down to $51 a sheet (9+ price). Can't tell from the pic or description if it has a thin veneer outer layer though. Might not actually be good stuff. But, could be. Would have to investigate further. Needs at least 5 equal thickness ply's.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421