Updating driver and amp from my 10 year old THT

Get the lowdown on the down low.
MJ79

Updating driver and amp from my 10 year old THT

#1 Post by MJ79 »

Well it's been about 10 years since I built my tht, and put it in storage last year , as we moved into a new house, and now I am just finishing up the remodel on the basement , so I thought if it fits, and doesn't look to out of place, maybe it's time to upgrade/update?

Still seems to work fine, the sub was the old Dayton DVC that I think was suggested to me back in the day.

And the amp was just the cheap parts express 240 Watt plate amp..

Initially, I was looking to buy a new ID sub like a hsu vtf3 mk5, monolith 15, or maybe even something from Rythmik , as the smaller size and good bang for the buck performance and quality ( specifically the hsu ) .. but if I could position the tht in a way that it's not too intrusive, it would save me $1000+.

A few people have mentioned upgrading the sub from my old dvc ( can't remember the model # ) to this , which I now see is the recommendation on the bfm home page as well

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... m--295-469

This is the amp I used

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... r--300-804

But a few said maybe get something a lil beefier with a dsp to benefit the new ( higher capability ) sub..

So just wondering thoughts on everything , if it's worth the upgrade, or just leave the sub that's in there until she goes, or maybe just change the amp?

Any advice would be appreciated as it's been about 9 years since I've had to come to the forums for the tht, as it's been nothing but phenomenal

Here is a link to my original build thread with all pics updated to the first post. ( Sub and amp in pics )

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/matts- ... o.1224945/

Bruce Weldy

Re: Updating driver and amp from my 10 year old THT

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

If it works, don't fix it.

My T39s still have the same drivers I put in 10 years ago....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

MJ79

#3 Post by MJ79 »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 am If it works, don't fix it.

Which I completely understand. I was more curious if a new more capable sub and a better quality amp with a dsp would benefit

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

MJ79 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 am

Which I completely understand. I was more curious if a new more capable sub and a better quality amp with a dsp would benefit
If what you have isn't loud enough or you can't set the crossover properly with what you have - then maybe so. But, I'd set it up and listen to it - if it's good then leave it alone. If not, then find the deficiency and fix that.

Unless of course, you just want to make it all new again for the new place.......there's no wrong answer.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

MJ79

#5 Post by MJ79 »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 am
MJ79 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 am

If what you have isn't loud enough or you can't set the crossover properly with what you have - then maybe so. But, I'd set it up and listen to it - if it's good then leave it alone. If not, then find the deficiency and fix that.

Unless of course, you just want to make it all new again for the new place.......there's no wrong answer.

If a new driver or amp will increase performance, I'm all for it. Like I said. I was looking at putting one, possibly 2 vtf3 mk5's in the basement. The basement bedroom/gameroom is only 2200 cubic feet , in large part due to the ceiling height that's around 6'8"

Room layout is linked.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210103-112635~3.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The amp seems OK, other than not having DSP. A driver with significantly longer xmax than what you have could go louder, but if you have the DVC385-88 it has as much xmax as you can use. As for the subs you mentioned, none come remotely close to the maximum SPL or very low THD of the THT.

MJ79

#7 Post by MJ79 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:48 am The amp seems OK, other than not having DSP. A driver with significantly longer xmax than what you have could go louder, but if you have the DVC385-88 it has as much xmax as you can use. As for the subs you mentioned, none come remotely close to the maximum SPL or very low THD of the THT.
I believe that sub you linked might be it... The model # sounds familiar, but it's been 10 years lol. Now if that sub and amp ever go, what do you recommend I replace them with. Linked below is a shot of my sub before it went in...
Attachments
Screenshot_20210111-095636.jpg
Screenshot_20210111-095953.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Cross that bridge if and when you ever get to it. My Table Tuba driver and amp haven't needed replacing yet, they've been in use every day since 2006.

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

MJ79, welcome back!
If the current THT is not enough, build a THTLP and stand it up.
TomS

MJ79

#10 Post by MJ79 »

Tom Smit wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:20 pm MJ79, welcome back!
If the current THT is not enough, build a THTLP and stand it up.
Hey thanks, good to be back

Being out for so long I honestly have no idea what the thtlp is lol

Once I finish the basement and spring time rolls around I might just take you up on that offer 😊