Titan 39 to Tuba 30

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Ken Lustgarten

Titan 39 to Tuba 30

#1 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

It’s been a while since I posted here. My needs have changed since I built my system. Four DR200’s have been and still are ideal, but a change of sub is in order. In the past I have provided sound mostly for live events at churches, sometimes inside and sometimes outside. While that will still continue I have had an increasing need of using prerecorded music over the last couple of years.

My current system uses T39’s of which I have 2 left. They are loaded with BP102’s. With some music I find that the bottom is missing. The T39’s go plenty low for live but are a little lacking on prerecorded that has really deep bass. The plan going forward is to build 4 Tuba 30’s with 3012LF drivers at 24” wide. I already have a pair of 3012LF’s laying around because I was going to build another pair of T39’s. I’ll probably sell the remaining pair of T39’s to fund two more 3012LF’s.

I still love the T39’s but needs change over time. They are the best bang for the buck in live sound providing the most punch for size and weight of all the models IMHO. The Tubas will still be fine for live while satisfying the need for deeper bass. I am a strong advocate of not overbuilding. This is why I originally built the T39’s instead of T48’s. More output in the necessary range with a smaller size and less weight! Take some time and be realistic about your needs and then make a wise choice in selecting an appropriate sub.

The older I get the less desire I have to haul heavier or bigger gear then necessary. This concept is causing me to change my system quite a bit. I just built new 6u and 4u racks out of baltic birch to replace a big mixer and a large/heavy rack on wheels. All that’s left to do is apply a finish. The 6u will contain an xti2000 amp (2u), Presonus 24r rack mount mixer (2u), 2 Audiotechnica wireless receivers (1u), and a Furman (1u). The 4u will hold my other 2 xti’s a 1000 and a 2000. The amps have built in DSP with crossovers, eq’s, and a limiter. The result will be a small lightweight system that is modular, only take what is needed. It will also pack better in my van.

Covid has killed just about everything for the time being. When it’s over people will want to get out and have fun. I anticipate a surge in sound needs. Now is the time to prepare!

Seth

Re: Titan 39 to Tuba 30

#2 Post by Seth »

Sounds like a good plan Ken. Welcome back!
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Welcome back, Ken.

Sent you a PM....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Ken Lustgarten

#4 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Thanks guys!

Another change that is going on due to covid is that I have been getting more into mixing/mastering, not just engineering. I have been working on a small home studio. The room does double duty as my weight lifting room. I think I can come up with a "vocal booth" by hanging lots of close around my rack. I do live in W.V. hence the red neck solution! So far I have setup my PC , usb audio interface, two 27" 4k monitors, Presonus Eris E5xt monitors and Temblor T8 sub. The next project is to make a functional desk and some DIY acoustic treatment. I want to at least treat first reflections and add 2 bass traps in the corners of the back wall. So much work to do, so little time....... Hmmm I wonder what a pair of tubas would sound like in here? In reality subs need to be used very sparingly when mixing. Otherwise the tracks will end up not having enough bass on other systems, flat is what you want for mixing.

Bruce, email sent

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ken Lustgarten wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:38 pm Thanks guys!

Another change that is going on due to covid is that I have been getting more into mixing/mastering, not just engineering. I have been working on a small home studio. The room does double duty as my weight lifting room. I think I can come up with a "vocal booth" by hanging lots of close around my rack. I do live in W.V. hence the red neck solution! So far I have setup my PC , usb audio interface, two 27" 4k monitors, Presonus Eris E5xt monitors and Temblor T8 sub. The next project is to make a functional desk and some DIY acoustic treatment. I want to at least treat first reflections and add 2 bass traps in the corners of the back wall. So much work to do, so little time....... Hmmm I wonder what a pair of tubas would sound like in here? In reality subs need to be used very sparingly when mixing. Otherwise the tracks will end up not having enough bass on other systems, flat is what you want for mixing.

Bruce, email sent
So you are a Presonus guy.....me too. I've got three of their mixers and have put some more in other people's rigs. Are you using Studio One?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Ken Lustgarten

#6 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Bruce,

Yes, I do love Presonus equipment. I had an old Studiolive 16 channel mixer back when they were still using a firewire interface. It is still in use at the college where I work. For my personal system I use a Presonus 24R rack mount mixer. It only takes up 2u and is controlled by a tablet or computer. This lets me place the equipment on stage and eliminate the use of a snake, again less to lug around. With all of the onboard processing the size of my stack has been reduced to a 1 hand carry for most events. Plus the 24r does double duty for multitrack recording. Their studio monitors are outstanding. Before the next semester starts I would like to get a pair of Scepter S6 monitors and a T10 sub. The T10 has a built in high pass for the monitors with a foot switch that disengages the sub and puts the monitors back to full range. This is a great feature for mixing. My current E5's and T8 will then be used in the office at work.

I have been using Reaper for at least 10 years. It's hard to change after using a product for that long, but I should at least give it a try.

Back to the subs. Another thing that I have been using subs for are movie nights at the college (stopped with covid). This is another place where the T39's are lacking in the bottom end. I have decided on 4 Tuba 30's at 24" wide. The 24" width will pack nicely in my van and be easier to move around, especially through doors/stairs. My T39's will be listed for sale, probably later today! If they don't sell I just might make a 3rd pair of 13" wide Tubas with the BP102's from my T39's. It is handy to have a small light pair. Quite often that's all that is needed and it makes setup a breeze.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ken Lustgarten wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:58 am Bruce,

Yes, I do love Presonus equipment. I had an old Studiolive 16 channel mixer back when they were still using a firewire interface.
I still have 2 of the classic 16.4.2 mixers and an RM32ai. I've mixed on the Series III 24R many times. It's a nice piece of hardware......I even installed one at a venue here in town.

I still like to have faders at my fingertips, but the shows I've been doing lately aren't conducive to using a snake and getting out front - so the Rack mixer is pretty much everything I do now. The RM32 is still firewire, but I have the converter for my laptop although I rarely ever use it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Ken Lustgarten

#8 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:32 pm
I still have 2 of the classic 16.4.2 mixers and an RM32ai. I've mixed on the Series III 24R many times. It's a nice piece of hardware......I even installed one at a venue here in town.

I still like to have faders at my fingertips, but the shows I've been doing lately aren't conducive to using a snake and getting out front - so the Rack mixer is pretty much everything I do now. The RM32 is still firewire, but I have the converter for my laptop although I rarely ever use it.
The 16.4.2 is the one I started with, it's a great mixer and still in use. I also had a small Presonus firewire interface that had 2 xlr inputs. Now all my gear has usb ports.

I feel the same way about having actual faders to put my hands on. It gives instant access to anything that may need adjusting quick. The move to computer/tablet control for portable use is only because of the size and weight savings. I am not entirely comfortable with it yet but am getting there. One of the biggest benefits for me is being able to set monitor levels with a tablet in hand rather then screaming back and forth. This also insures that I give them what they need to play together and no more. Excess volume in the monitors is one of the biggest problems that I have and this takes care of it. Monitors pollute the house sound when levels are high, plus cause feedback. Isn't the whole purpose to deliver good sound to the audience?

Seth

#9 Post by Seth »

Ken, what's the width of your T39's?
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Ken Lustgarten

#10 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Seth wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm Ken, what's the width of your T39's?
The pair are right about 13" wide and have wheels. I made them as narrow as possible for easy transportation to use at small events and weddings. They are made from Arauco 1/2" ply so they are quite light. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow as I was going to list them in the for sale section.

I see in your sig that you only have 1 3012LF based T39. You need to make/buy a mate for it along with my T39's :lol: