Is it better to use a china built bi-amp plate amp?

Get the lowdown on the down low.
djlivex

Is it better to use a china built bi-amp plate amp?

#1 Post by djlivex »

So I have 4 built Tuba 24 24" squared, 2 are loaded with double BP102 4 ohms parallel. I also have 2 Tuba 24's waiting to be loaded and 2 x SLA Pro's. I like the sound I have never needed more than 2 subs for the small gigs that I use them in. But bass is important wanting to go gung ho and build the other 2 with new KL10's then buy 4 more KL 10s in the near future. My question is, is it better to power these with a plate amp bi-amped those seismic cheap amps so a plate per sub T24 then to the SLA. OR just buy 2 Crown XLS with DSP's and just carry a small rack? I was more concerned also the plate needs to be housed in a smaller box added to the rear so as not to get damaged while being moved around. Thanks :confused:
BaasssS, . . how low can you GO!

Seth

Re: Is it better to use a china built bi-amp plate amp?

#2 Post by Seth »

It's really a personal preference call. I think most around here would rather have the amp rack than have to run power to every cabinet along with the signal cabling.

With more than 2 cabs, I'd much rather have amps and signal processing in a rack. I personally use these 4ru racks. They stack, stow, transport, and handle easily.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

djlivex wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:59 pm OR just buy 2 Crown XLS with DSP's and just carry a small rack? I was more concerned also the plate needs to be housed in a smaller box added to the rear so as not to get damaged while being moved around. Thanks :confused:
I would certainly go with an amp rack when using a lot of cabs. You mentioned the XLS with DSP - I have a bunch of those amps and they will be fine - BUT, they have don't have limiters (what they call a limiter protects the amp - not the speakers).......so, be sure and get a driverack if you don't already have one.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

djlivex

#4 Post by djlivex »

Thanks guys I will just get 2 Crown XLS and yes Bruce I already have a Driverack PA.
BaasssS, . . how low can you GO!

Ken Lustgarten

#5 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

djlivex wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:59 pm Thanks guys I will just get 2 Crown XLS and yes Bruce I already have a Driverack PA.
You wont regret getting the Crowns with built in DSP. It keeps options open for the future. For example I started with a driverack (still have it) but I have been working on simplifying and lightening my system. I have it down to a small one hand carry 6u rack for most events (non-existant events right now) The DSP in my Crown XTi amps makes this pretty simple to do even without a driverack. With crossovers, limiters, and eq saved in up to 20 different presets any configuration can be recalled with a few button presses.

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ken Lustgarten wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:34 am
djlivex wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:59 pm Thanks guys I will just get 2 Crown XLS and yes Bruce I already have a Driverack PA.
You wont regret getting the Crowns with built in DSP. It keeps options open for the future. For example I started with a driverack (still have it) but I have been working on simplifying and lightening my system. I have it down to a small one hand carry 6u rack for most events (non-existant events right now) The DSP in my Crown XTi amps makes this pretty simple to do even without a driverack. With crossovers, limiters, and eq saved in up to 20 different presets any configuration can be recalled with a few button presses.
But to clarify....the XLS amps don't have the same DSP as the XTi amps.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Ken Lustgarten

#7 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:42 pm
But to clarify....the XLS amps don't have the same DSP as the XTi amps.
You are correct the DSP is not the same as on the XTi's, not by a longshot! The XLS line does at least have a crossover and limiter which would be helpful. Since the OP has a Driverack he could go cheaper on an amp without DSP like the Crown XLi series to save money, but add weight! The price difference between an XTi and an XLS of the same power is only about $100, I think it would be money well spent. There are other quality amps on the market but I will refrain from commenting on them since most of my experience has been with Crown.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ken Lustgarten wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:07 pm You are correct the DSP is not the same as on the XTi's, not by a longshot! The XLS line does at least have a crossover and limiter which would be helpful.
Crossover - yes.....Limiter - no. The limiter on the XLS can't be set to a specific voltage to protect your speakers - it just protects the amp.....they really shouldn't even advertise it as having a limiter.

But, I like having all my DSP in a driverack rather than on the amp anyway.....too far to bend over to make any changes on the bottom amp in the rack. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Ken Lustgarten

#9 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:35 pm .....too far to bend over to make any changes on the bottom amp in the rack. :mrgreen:
Must be getting up there in years :loler: I'll be 53 in a week so I'm closing in on you a little to fast!

If the XLS doesn't have a usable limiter the OP may be better off saving money by getting a "dumb amp" to use with the driverack. They list a limiter as a feature in the description "Peak-x Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your speakers". The description should be clearer on what it actually is! I have never used an XLS before, but we do have 3 XLi's in use at work. They were cheap and have been great amps.

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ken Lustgarten wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:35 pm .....too far to bend over to make any changes on the bottom amp in the rack. :mrgreen:
Must be getting up there in years :loler: I'll be 53 in a week so I'm closing in on you a little to fast!

If the XLS doesn't have a usable limiter the OP may be better off saving money by getting a "dumb amp" to use with the driverack. They list a limiter as a feature in the description "Peak-x Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your speakers". The description should be clearer on what it actually is! I have never used an XLS before, but we do have 3 XLi's in use at work. They were cheap and have been great amps.
I'd still stick with the XLS and a driverack. Those XLi amps a three times as heavy. In an install situation - fine.....but, if you are toting them around - lighter is better.

And yeah, I've got you by 10 years....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210