Interior leaks?

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Fyrewyre

Interior leaks?

#1 Post by Fyrewyre »

Hey everyone. I've just finished buttoning up my dual titan48 and I'm having anxiety about the joint seals along the horn path. Is there any way to mend this hypothetical problem should it arise?
4 OTOP12 CD
2 OTOP12 melded tweeter

12- 24" Titan48
1- 36" dual loaded Titan48
4- Melded Tweeter OTOP12
4- CD Horn OTOP 12

jimbo7

Re: Interior leaks?

#2 Post by jimbo7 »

Depending on what panel; nope. If you didn't skimp on the PL and had an even bead, then you should be fine. I don't even know if you could tell if you had interior leaks. I had an AT that rattled and I must've used a box of screws to suck the panels in tight. That's why you have to do one last check on all the glue joints before you put that last panel on.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Seth

#3 Post by Seth »

Fyrewyre wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 pm Hey everyone. I've just finished buttoning up my dual titan48 and I'm having anxiety about the joint seals along the horn path. Is there any way to mend this hypothetical problem should it arise?
Hey... Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on closing in on the completion of your project.

I can relate to the anxiety, had a bit of that when I finished up my T39... and ended up having a leak. The fix was worse in my mind than it was in reality.

Any leaks that are in a place that would really matter are accessible. Really, the only place you don't have access to is panel 5, and I don't think a small leak there would be detrimental enough to notice. All the other joints can be easily accessed through the driver chamber, horn mouth, or on the outside of the cabinet. If you really had to get to panel 5, you could just cut an access hole in panel 8 then fill/patch/blend the access hole back in and you'd never know there was a hole there.
Screenshot (53).png

Take a deep breath. All will be fine. If you find a leak, just fill it with some PL.

On another note... how was the build process for you? How long did it take? How many cabs? How wide, what drivers? What's your intended use (indoors/outdoors, Live band/recorded music)?

Pics, or it didn't happen. :D

-Seth-
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Fyrewyre

#4 Post by Fyrewyre »

Hey guys thank you all for your responses. I feel a bit better after reading your responses. As far as the build process, it's been a work in progress for at least a month. I've been planning it for over three months. I work on it for an hour or so a day. I'm not sure how to post pictures from my phone but I'll post a couple ASAP. Using 2 3015lf drivers. Only built one cab for now. Probably won't build another one until I can get a better workspace and a table saw. I used a circular saw and jigsaw for everything.
4 OTOP12 CD
2 OTOP12 melded tweeter

12- 24" Titan48
4- Melded Tweeter OTOP12
4- CD Horn OTOP 12

Strange Kevin

#5 Post by Strange Kevin »

Welcome to the Forum!

On your phone, you have to use the "Full editor and Preview"
Then scroll down and hit "Attachments" then you can "Add Files"
Attachments
Screenshot_20201119-161633_Chrome.jpg
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Fyrewyre

#6 Post by Fyrewyre »

Strange Kevin wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:22 pm Welcome to the Forum!

On your phone, you have to use the "Full editor and Preview"
Then scroll down and hit "Attachments" then you can "Add Files"
Here are a few pics. I did a quick test last night and have a leak around the driver access panel.
4 OTOP12 CD
2 OTOP12 melded tweeter

12- 24" Titan48
4- Melded Tweeter OTOP12
4- CD Horn OTOP 12

netwerks

#7 Post by netwerks »

what I do is put a small bead of pl in all cracks and joints on all internal sides as I go. Put a "walmart" plastic bag over your hand like a glove, use your index finder and smear it in the cracks like caulk. Let it dry overnight. It will then expand.

Can also be done after the fact to fix leaks. Problem solved.

Seth

#8 Post by Seth »

Obviously, you don't want to use any PL on the access panel. Just redo the gasket tape. I overlay the tape in the corners and use a razor to cut them both at the same time at a 45º angle, lift the ends and remove the little cut off bits, then put the tape back down for a nice tight fit from one piece to another with a longer seam than butting the end of one to the side of another.

If the leak is from between the access panel flange and panel 7, just smear some PL on the back side of the joint in that area.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bryan Cox

#9 Post by Bryan Cox »

I use the flashlight test. Before I button up a box I use a strong LED flash light (960 lumens) and run it allong all the glue lines. If any light at all comes through I seal it with PL, wait until it dries, then do it again. In the past, I've also run PL along each joint like caulk just to "be sure." With access panels I've been known to double up gasket tape if I need to. Unless of course, there's an air gap in one of the mounting flanges, then I use PL. Doubling the tape makes the panel stick out just a bit but I don't care about that much.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide