Tuba 45 General questions

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Trdat

Tuba 45 General questions

#1 Post by Trdat »

I just purchased the plans of the Tuba 45 and keen on building them, just in my research stage. I have many questions but to get started I want to get my head around a few things and explain my use to get input that I might need.

I will be using the sub woofers for home use and will build two subs and place them in the corners in a tiny apartment 40 square meters, and very likely point them upwards(essentially on the back wall with it pointing up about 1/2 a meter from the side wall) to save space. I am not keen on SPL, but love the nightclub feeling of the slam and punch and transients. My true goal is transients, I know Bill's theories on this but it seems that a horn loaded sub might give the transients that I'm looking for or whatever is that I feel is missing from standard subs. Further reading has led me to believe that a low QTS driver might help with improving the transients, but even further reading tells me that a really low QTS driver might onset some listeners fatigue(I know I am looking for QTS between .2 and .5). I would love to reach 40hz but any lower would not be a priority. I have Audiolense and can very easily EQ when it comes to live music recordings to give the lower end oomph but for say dance music or techno I am totally against EQ, as Bill pointed out once you EQ you lose the transients of that system Q as you bring back the lower notes( I know understand this conpet after experimenting). I am a fan of the natural roll off...

Is this listeners fatigue something I should worry about? More importantly if do choose a higher QTS driver how much will it impact the transients?

Secondly, Bill mentions that go as wide as you can with the cabinet but I am presuming that is for maximum sensitivity and SPL, with my particular goals what else does the cabinet width/size have on the sound, in particular the transients? In a sealed we know a larger box gives you lower QTC but with a horn loaded I have no idea. Of course sensitivity is great but would love to know what other trade offs are with choosing a larger or smaller cabinet?

Lastly, is the Eminence Kappa Pro 10LF an appropriate driver? I am happy to pay up to $150 each to get something premium or decent enough. I was thinking 10 inch just cause I am guessing that 2 subs will already be something crazy so a 10 inch might bring down the spl a little.

Even now, my sealed subs with the Dayton RSS315HO 12 inch in a 60 litre cab QTC about .44 just thumps in my chest can't be happier. When I EQ it loses it thump, natural roll off obviously loses the lower notes but i love it. Point being, I'm aiming for an upgrade that is totally different, horn loaded, PA driver, high sensitivity etc...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Tuba 45 General questions

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Trdat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:33 am I just purchased the plans of the Tuba 45
I will be using the sub woofers for home use and will build two subs and place them in the corners in a tiny apartment
Wrong tool for the job. You should be using Table Tuba or Tuba HT.

Trdat

#3 Post by Trdat »

[/quote]Wrong tool for the job. You should be using Table Tuba or Tuba HT.
[/quote]

I had a feeling the table Tuba or Tuba Ht would be more appropriate but there is no way I can fit them in my apartment. The Tuba 45 can easily squeeze in the back upright, hence why I went with it.

Okay, let me look into these two and see if there is a way they can fit in my apartment.

So just to confirm, definitely not worth going with the Tuba 45 with a 10 inch small cabinet width?

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

At 30x30x16. a Table Tuba will fit through any door in an apartment. And it can stand up or lay down flat like a corner table.

I would imagine a little store-bought sub woofer designed for your PC would get you thrown out of an apartment.....how are you going to pull off a real sub?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 am At 30x30x16. a Table Tuba will fit through any door in an apartment.
So will a Table Tuba Longstyle.

Trdat

#6 Post by Trdat »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 am At 30x30x16. a Table Tuba will fit through any door in an apartment. And it can stand up or lay down flat like a corner table.

I would imagine a little store-bought sub woofer designed for your PC would get you thrown out of an apartment.....how are you going to pull off a real sub?
If 16inches is the width then I can fit it in the back like I would of done with the Tuba 45, it will just take 30 inches to the side and up and only 13 inches from the back wall and I should be able to manage that. Are you recommending the Tuba table over the Tuba HT/Tuba 18 for my specific needs?

Well, I work from home and everyone is at work during day so I pump the system only daytime for only short periods of time. Plus with my luck I got a dance studio behind me so when people complain I just blame the dance studio, but they don't cause I never play in the evening. And on top of that I am in a Soviet 1960 apartment with walls of solid concrete minimum 20cm thick it helps.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

The question is how low you want to go. For my listening tastes, a Tuba 18 would be fine in that space. If you are listening to a lot of Rap or Hip Hop, then you'd probably like the Table Tuba better. The THT is really for Home Theater where you want the really low content of some movies - that would definitely get you thrown out of the apartment.....of course, they may not know it's you because the entire building will be shaking.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Trdat

#8 Post by Trdat »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:57 am The question is how low you want to go. For my listening tastes, a Tuba 18 would be fine in that space. If you are listening to a lot of Rap or Hip Hop, then you'd probably like the Table Tuba better. The THT is really for Home Theater where you want the really low content of some movies - that would definitely get you thrown out of the apartment.....of course, they may not know it's you because the entire building will be shaking.
Low extension is not my goal, of course getting to 40hz is important but any lower no need. I don't watch movies or listen to any rap or hip hop. I mostly listen to electronic music from the mid 90's and adore transient punch and slam. Transients is my true goal so I am happy to miss out on some of the lower frequencies and I also would like to cross it over around 150hz.

I do listen to some live recordings which I can always EQ, to get more oomph from the lower frequencies. I reach about 105db peaks at the moment so a little more wouldn't do harm but again no harm as long as I don't get distortion as my Dayton's bottom out reaching near that.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Transients are a non-issue in the subwoofer pass band. 150Hz is too high to cross from subs to mains, being well up into the directionally locatable frequencies.

Trdat

#10 Post by Trdat »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:19 am Transients are a non-issue in the subwoofer pass band. 150Hz is too high to cross from subs to mains, being well up into the directionally locatable frequencies.
Okay I am deciding between the Table Tuba and the table Tuba longstyle but I can't see where the opening is for the table Tuba?

It seems the longstyle wont fit, as I will go with dual subs even one wont fit comfortably.

Can the Table Tuba stand upright? In the picture you have it flat i need the 16 inch width part of it to be pointing up. While the 30 inches going from left to right and from top to bottom. Would this work?

Tom Smit

#11 Post by Tom Smit »

Trdat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 amOkay I am deciding between the Table Tuba and the table Tuba longstyle but I can't see where the opening is for the table Tuba?

It is on one of the sides (if you are looking at the picture on the sales page). The idea is so that it will be incognito.
Trdat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 amIt seems the longstyle wont fit, as I will go with dual subs even one wont fit comfortably.
Even if it is on end?
Trdat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 amCan the Table Tuba stand upright? In the picture you have it flat i need the 16 inch width part of it to be pointing up. While the 30 inches going from left to right and from top to bottom. Would this work?
Yes, that is totally permissible. It should be pointed out that, in the sales page photo, the driver opening is on the bottom for sound reinforcement. If the cab is placed on the short panel, then the driver opening must be at the wall (the cab can be made mirror-image if needs be to turn the cab around and still have the opening on the wall).
TomS

Strange Kevin

#12 Post by Strange Kevin »

I just threw together a Table Tuba long style last night, and i gota say, its fantastic.

It would be taller than a T45 standing up (mouth pointing at the ceiling.) But would have a smaller foot print. As small as 15"x12" to 15" x18" with a 8" driver.
Attachments
20200825_213036.jpg
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Trdat

#13 Post by Trdat »

Tom Smit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:13 pm
Trdat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 amOkay I am deciding between the Table Tuba and the table Tuba longstyle but I can't see where the opening is for the table Tuba?

It is on one of the sides (if you are looking at the picture on the sales page). The idea is so that it will be incognito.

It should be pointed out that, in the sales page photo, the driver opening is on the bottom for sound reinforcement. If the cab is placed on the short panel, then the driver opening must be at the wall (the cab can be made mirror-image if needs be to turn the cab around and still have the opening on the wall).
Just to confirm, you said in the sales page the the opening is on one of the sides and in then you mention that the driver opening for driver reinforcement is on the bottom are we talking about two different things here or have i misunderstood something?

So from what I understood the short panel the width of 16 inches can point upwards and it needs to be placed near a wall. I will be placing it up on the back wall(behind main speakers) near the corner and facing whichever way deemed necessary as long as it fits in a 16 to 18 inch gap height is okay and 30 inches to either side is fine too.

Strange Kevin

#14 Post by Strange Kevin »

Hi,
The Table Tuba is a little different from most of the other designs as it has two openings. 1 the obvious mouth of the horn and the second is the driver acess witch is usually covered up on the other plans. You can see the driver acess openings at the bottom of my long style one pictured previously. (Speaker cable coming out of the hole)

Here is the main opening on the TT listed on the sales page. It is a little hard to see but makes sense once you see the plans.
Screenshot_20200826-225713_Chrome.jpg
The driver acess is in the middle, here i have highlighted it in green. It is only open on one side. So on the sales page, the sub is flat on "top" with the driver acess opening facing down.

I Hope this helps clear things up..
Attachments
Screenshot_20200826-230012_Gallery.jpg
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Seth

#15 Post by Seth »

Trdat wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:23 am Just to confirm, you said in the sales page the the opening is on one of the sides and in then you mention that the driver opening for driver reinforcement is on the bottom are we talking about two different things here or have i misunderstood something?

So from what I understood the short panel the width of 16 inches can point upwards and it needs to be placed near a wall. I will be placing it up on the back wall(behind main speakers) near the corner and facing whichever way deemed necessary as long as it fits in a 16 to 18 inch gap height is okay and 30 inches to either side is fine too.
On the TableTuba the driver chamber is not sealed. One side is left open. I'm not sure if the TT plans mention sealing the chamber as an option, but I seem to recall the TTLS plans mentioning an option to seal the chamber. I'm not feeling 100% confident about that and I don't want to check the plans at the moment, so take it for whatever it's worth... a possibility I suppose.

On the TT sales page, I didn't see it for years, but if you look closely you can see the mouth of the horn...
TT.jpg
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421