Open back THT LP?

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Fastskiguy

Open back THT LP?

#1 Post by Fastskiguy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Hey guys, we're moving in 6-12 months to a smaller house so I had to take stock of some of my stuff and.....it looks like the THT LP isn't going to get to move to the retirement home in Florida. Yeah it's a cryin' shame. Maybe it's not 100% sure yet but....WAF is looking like a real problem. I mean "challenge". No...make that "opportunity".

So I've got the THT with a dayton RSS 390 in it and a 3 cubic foot subwoofer with the discontinued dayton dvc 385-88. The 3 cubic foot box got the nod for moving so....let's move the RSS 390 from the THT to the 3 cubic foot box, move the 385-88 from the box to the THT then we can sell the THT in a few months and keep the better driver. Right??

OK so the bolt patterns match (whew!) and the 385-88 is in the THT and I figure let's just run the chill lounge music while I close this baby up and.....it sounds good...really good! The 385-88 with the back of the THT LP open sounds not only louder but better. WTH is going on here?

Now we don't run this very hard....max is about 80 decibels but I'm thinking we have a risk of driver damage if we crank it up. Also...this might just be a "happy coincidence" of the location of our sub and the conformation of the house. But at just 80db...are we risking anything leaving the back of the THT LP open? Thanks for the comments :)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Open back THT LP?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Leaving the back open makes it a bandpass. Yes, it's louder in the upper bass, but at the expense of low bass, and at the risk of blowing the driver.

Fastskiguy

Re: Open back THT LP?

#3 Post by Fastskiguy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:15 am

Got it, thanks!!