titian vs sb850

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Post Reply
Message
Author
nick mineau
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 am

titian vs sb850

#1 Post by nick mineau » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 am

I am wondering if the chart used on the sb850 vs titian48 was at 2.83v or 2.0v for the eaw sb850.
the site clearly states that the titian was at 2.83v, but im not sure about the 850.
I assume it was done at 2v being a 4 ohm combined load for the 2 x 18s
:feedback:

User avatar
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin
Posts: 27267
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Re: titian vs sb850

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Unless otherwise noted all charts are 2.83v. That's what matters when you're trying to compare how loud two speakers are with the same amp and same settings. BTW, Titian was an Italian painter, not a subwoofer. :lol:

SethRocksYou
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Contact:

Re: titian vs sb850

#3 Post by SethRocksYou » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:49 pm

nick mineau wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 am
I am wondering if the chart used on the sb850 vs titian48 was at 2.83v or 2.0v for the eaw sb850....
That chart depicts the Titan at 0.8 watts and the SB850 at 2 watts... 2.83v for both

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: titian vs sb850

#4 Post by CoronaOperator » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:57 pm

SethRocksYou wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:49 pm

That chart depicts the Titan at 0.8 watts and the SB850 at 2 watts... 2.83v for both
Amps put out voltage, not watts. Watts are a function of the voltage pushing current through an impedance. Ever seen an impedance chart of a cabinet? The impedance changes at every frequency, which means every frequency would have a different wattage at 2.83v. Might be 1w at 50hz, 0.7w at 55hz, 0.05w at 60hz, all depending on the impedance curve. That's why the charts use voltage, you can't keep the wattage equal across the frequency band unless your cabinet has a ruler flat impedance curve. Only thing that I know of that does is a ribbon tweeter.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

SethRocksYou
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Contact:

Re: titian vs sb850

#5 Post by SethRocksYou » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:24 pm

CoronaOperator wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:57 pm
SethRocksYou wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:49 pm

That chart depicts the Titan at 0.8 watts and the SB850 at 2 watts... 2.83v for both
Amps put out voltage, not watts. Watts are a function of the voltage pushing current through an impedance. Ever seen an impedance chart of a cabinet? The impedance changes at every frequency, which means every frequency would have a different wattage at 2.83v. Might be 1w at 50hz, 0.7w at 55hz, 0.05w at 60hz, all depending on the impedance curve. That's why the charts use voltage, you can't keep the wattage equal across the frequency band unless your cabinet has a ruler flat impedance curve. Only thing that I know of that does is a ribbon tweeter.
All true. However, just as one can average spl over a useful frequiency range, ohms can averaged too and used to calculate average watts. Which, personally I find useful. Just another tool, not a benchmark.

nick mineau
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 am

Re: titian vs sb850

#6 Post by nick mineau » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:24 am

ok thanks! sorry about the typos.
and to be fair the titian is only receiving less then half the power, so it shows how much more efficient that design is.
the reason I was wondering, is some people rate a 4 ohm cab at 2 volts. some at 2.83 :wall:

User avatar
BrentEvans
Posts: 3039
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:38 am
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: titian vs sb850

#7 Post by BrentEvans » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:46 am

nick mineau wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:24 am
ok thanks! sorry about the typos.
and to be fair the titian
:wall:
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

User avatar
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin
Posts: 27267
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Re: titian vs sb850

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Titian:

Image

Signalsdrone
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 am
Location: SW Ontario

Re: titian vs sb850

#9 Post by Signalsdrone » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:06 pm

ROFL!

nick mineau
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 am

Re: titian vs sb850

#10 Post by nick mineau » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 am

lol :horse: good thing I didn't call it a Triton sub lol
Attachments
trition.png
trition.png (121.79 KiB) Viewed 840 times

User avatar
BrentEvans
Posts: 3039
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:38 am
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: titian vs sb850

#11 Post by BrentEvans » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:44 pm

nick mineau wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 am
lol :horse: good thing I didn't call it a Triton sub lol
Yeah. At least Titians would have balls.
This post brought to you buy the department of Entendre Entendre.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Post Reply