Can T30 & T45 be used together?

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Charles Jenkinson

Can T30 & T45 be used together?

#1 Post by Charles Jenkinson » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:29 am

Can T45's and T30's be used together - given one is a different folded version of the other?

I was intrigued with the analysis that Chris did here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24799&hilit=T45

My 19" T30's must be a good few dB down on the 15" T45 shown, and at 5% larger volume than the T45 quoted.

Just wondering if there would be any rules to follow with respect to horn mouth positioning in the pairing up of singles or putting one or two T45's with a pair of V-plated T30's.

Edit: With respect to differing horn path lengths, i can imagine (perhaps wrongly) that in an outside environment, the horn mouths even of differing path lengths, could be positioned for appropriate time-alignment of the front sound stage - this is what time alignment is all about (for the crossover frequency between tweeters and mid-woofers). Outside, I would have thought no-one is too bothered about interference in the waves behind the sound stage - I could imagine there being some freaky effects though. Having said that, if the radiating planes of the drivers are in time alignment, then all waves propagating from the horn mouths should be in phase.
Last edited by Charles Jenkinson on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Can T30 & T45 be used together?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:46 am

They're not identical in phase response, but close enough to be used together.