Crown xti DSP Settings.

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
Ron K

Crown xti DSP Settings.

#1 Post by Ron K »

I figured I would start a thread on these XTI amps and their DSP settings. For those of you who have them and are using them with BFM cabs this might be a good place to share the DSP settings you are using for your various BFM rigs.

I just started using the System Architect Software that you can download from Crown. Install and hook up your XTI amp to your PC and begin editing your systems DSP profile.

Perhaps someone could do the same for the Behringer Unit as I believe you can also attach it to a PC and set it up???
Ever since I replaced sex with food I cant even get into my own pants!

Snikpout

#2 Post by Snikpout »

My XTi1000 drives an O15, with an active X-over (L-R 48dB/oct) on low (channel 1) and med/high (channel 2); this is for playing bass, so I cut high with a LP filter@7kHz :

novasak

Re: Crown xti DSP Settings.

#3 Post by novasak »

xti 2000 - runs a pair of OT15s
- 100hz HP LR48db/oct - Stereo
xti 1000 - runs 4 T39s
- 35hz HP LR48db/oct - 100hz LP LR48db/oct - mono sum

All Limiters at -3db
EQ for the OTs -4db at about 4khz.

The software app used to configure the amp DSP is great. A little EQ to tame the sound, and enough options that I don't need any other kind of processing in my rack. I like it, it gets the job done for me, and the rack weighs under 50 lbs, with 2 amps, and a shure FC33 pre amp. I do sense a little noise from the amps (out from the speakers), but not enough to complain about. It's just too bad that I need a computer to tweek anything if no preset has been made previously.
So much easier to use than my last setup, consisting of 2 racks each over 70 lbs. I also like that I don't need to patch anything together, just plug in the mains, and plug in the speakers, and go. I don't use monitors or more than a stereo feed and one mic. So simpler is better, and faster, and now lighter and louder.

Tom

#4 Post by Tom »

XTi2000 Ch1. input from mixer mains in mono.
Internally, the XTi splits the signal. I bandpass into subs (Ch1) and tops (Ch 2):

Subs: 35-100 Hz (-48 LR filters)
EQ: not needed for a pair of 3015 loaded Titan subs.
Limiters set to - 6 dB.

Tops:100 Hz - 16kHz (-48 LR filters)
EQ: Suitable for Dr250 tops with 2510s in them.
Limiters set to - 6 dB.

Don't use the subsonic harmonizer - weird things happen in the sub output - like synthesized vocals.

I preset the fans to run on high since they don't seem to run very often otherwise.
Build Log

-- Done, in use --
4 - Dr250/2510/Piezo
2 - OmniTop 12
2 - T48/3015LF (22 inches wide)
2 - T48/3015LF (25 inches wide)
4 - Melded array w8
? - Omni 10

sstillwell

#5 Post by sstillwell »

You can also use System Architect to save a "Device File" and upload it to a file-sharing site like stashbox.com and post the URL here. I'll be doing that with my settings here in a little bit.

Scott

SnakeFingers

#6 Post by SnakeFingers »

I will be getting an xti next month. It will drive a pair of O10.5's (2510) and sometimes a T24. I'm glad to see this thread as it helps me better understand the amp's DSP capabilities. From what I've been able to sort out, the EQ in the xti is best used to smooth out cabinet response. I'd still need some kind of EQ for the room (considering the DEQ 2496). Is this assumption correct?

Mark
Mark

sstillwell

#7 Post by sstillwell »

Well, yes, sort of. The amp's EQ is capable enough to do room EQ, but you'd have to have a computer with you to do it, as the onboard DSP isn't adjustable enough from the front panel of the amp. I definitely set up the amp's presets with various combinations of loudspeakers in mind.

Scott

SnakeFingers

#8 Post by SnakeFingers »

Does the Crown xti software have some sort of RTA function? I'd haul a laptop to a gig in heartbeat if could use it to replace a bunch of gear.
Mark

sstillwell

#9 Post by sstillwell »

No...just a bunch of filters. Use software like Smaart Live or TrueRTA to measure, then use the System Architect application to set the desired filters in the amps.

Scott

Ron K

#10 Post by Ron K »

SnakeFingers wrote:Does the Crown xti software have some sort of RTA function? I'd haul a laptop to a gig in heartbeat if could use it to replace a bunch of gear.
No it does not. You could easily get SMAART or some of the free RTA software out there for that.SMAART is well worth the cost as it is far more than an RTA. Coupled with Harmons System Architect for the Crown you have a very versitle tunning tool at your disposal all conviently run from you Laptop!

I use SMAART along with Sys Arch and it rocks. Quick easy room setups and quite accurate!

Ask around on the forums for the Free RTA software out there if you need that.

Alan Star

#11 Post by Alan Star »

I use the xover's, output limiters and delay's in my xti's/itechs and I use a deq2496 for all the eq. I do wonder a bit tho about becoming too reliant on the crown amps without having spare crown amps in case there is a problem with one of them, ie:... If you have all your processing done pre amp, in say a dcx or dbx unit, then you can swap any amp if you have a problem with one. If your processing is all done in the amp then you need to have a crown amp with hi qnet to transfer your settings onto if you have any problems or your stuffed... and I have had a few problems with xti's. Hopefully all probs are resolved now with firmware updates.
Built ...
1x T18
2x T39 HL10c
4x Omni 10.5
2x OmniTop 15

Owned ...
4x DR300

Zack Brock

#12 Post by Zack Brock »

Ok, I'm still trying to figure out the EQ of the Crown XTI.

Without the computer hooked to USB and System Architect, I am unable to select or edit EQ other than picking a preset, correct?

And if I want to EQ a BFM cabinet 'flat', I would have to create the EQ via System Architect and then upload that a preset?

Thanks!
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

sstillwell

#13 Post by sstillwell »

If you have the device "online" and showing up in System Architect, you should be able to double-click on a section of the amp's diagram (like crossover, EQ, delay, etc.) and open up another window where you can edit the specific settings.

Yes, if you want to set up EQ for a specific set of boxes, you would modify the settings as you wished, then "Store" that as a new preset number with a short description (like "DR200+SUB", "YAM+TXD", "YAM+YAM"...the latter 2 are for when I use Yamaha and Turbosound wedges, or Yamaha and Yamah wedges with two mixes on two channels in a XTi4000).

Bear in mind that you can't save over the "DSP OFF" preset (preset 0 or 1, can't remember)...it's permanent. All other factory presets can be overwritten, if I remember correctly. Personally, I use higher-numbered presets and leave the factory ones alone...but that's just me.

The XTi will remember the last preset recalled after powering off, so if you always use the same PA boxes, it's literally set-and-forget.

Scott

Nate Rouslin

#14 Post by Nate Rouslin »

I my self are running the xti amps on my system as follows
2-XTI1000-bridged mono to 4 T36 21"wide with definimax 12
1- XTI 1000-stereo to OT12 12" delta pro 12a
1- XTI 1000 stereo to OT12 nsd2002 hf
all running from a dbx 260
I have alittle bit of constructive advice. I notice a few are crossing over the low pass for their subs around 100hz with a 48db point. Try setting that back to a 12db butterworth or linkerwitz xover at 80hz.Reason isat 12db you acctually will have a warmer and ,more full sound form the low end. As for the other points try a 24db point instead of 48. The transistion at 24 is a smoother and warmer transisition from driver to driver.

Ron K

#15 Post by Ron K »

24s are fine if you're tuning by ear. 48 you should use SMAART or TEF to do it right. 5th. order is a bit more delicate to adjust correctly. Done correctly either method will sound good provided it is correct for the application. In lower frequencies 12 db can be ok if you need a lot of overlap between units. With a DSP however you can easily create overlap or punch a hole in between.As far as warmth goes that would be totally subjective IMHO.

At higher frequencies steep slopes might be necessary if you are running a compression driver near its resonance frequency and need to get all the range possible like in a 12"-2 way wedge.

Tuning boxes and systems is an art and often requires a ton of patience.