DR280 EQ CURVE FOR 'FLAT RESPONSE'

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
DAVID_L_PERRY

DR280 EQ CURVE FOR 'FLAT RESPONSE'

#1 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

Please note this was before the low pass filter and throat filler mod was devised...I am just in the process of getting the mods done and will re-post the revised eq when I get chance....

EQ settings for a single DR280 loaded with Eminence Delta Pro 12" and 12 piezo's (Piezo's wired in two banks of 6 parrallel/series connection)

EQ setup using pink noise as a reference with measurement mic at approx 4m on axis crossed over at 80hz. Once eq'd the RTA response is fairly flat.

I will add the specific eq cut/boost values when I next have the rack out.
Overall EQ gain was boosted by2.5db to compensate for overall eq loss

Dont forget to try swapping over polarity of subs/tops when testing in order to check for any phase issues between the two at the crossover point. (I noticed a significant drop out at the crossover unless phase was adjusted to suit)

Dave Perry
Last edited by DAVID_L_PERRY on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim A

#2 Post by Tim A »

Since no one has responded, let me say that David's EQ settings made my DR250's sound pristine. I currently have only a 15 band graphic, but with a little common sense I was able to transfer his settings to it. That resulted in only minor tweaking by ear. I'll try and get a picture of my settings and post it for others in the same situation.

Thanks again Dave!

DAVID_L_PERRY

#3 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

This is the average eq curve for a single DR280 cab having re-measured in several alternate mic locations/rooms since first posting this thread.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1 ... myphotos=1

Please note on the first eq curve posted on this thread I dropped out the 1.25k bump (as I assumed it was room a related 'spike'), howevor for the last few months I have been running the cabs pretty much with the eq as shown here with very good results:-

Dave

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DAVID_L_PERRY wrote:
Please note on the first eq curve posted on this thread I dropped out the 1.25k bump (as I assumed it was room a related 'spike'), howevor for the last few months I have been running the cabs pretty much with the eq as shown here with very good results:-

Dave
I had the same result in the original prototype, 1.25kHz is the low point in the transition between the woofer and tweeter output. With the addition of the throat filler and LP filter response from 1 to 2kHz is improved.

DJ Big Ronn

Hey guy's

#5 Post by DJ Big Ronn »

I somehow missed this very important piece of information. Since I always run 4 DR-250's when I DJ, would you expect any of Daves curve to change. I know that running four smooths things out, but I'd like to know before I change my EQ settings. Let me know if I should just copy his curve. Thanks, Big Ronn.

Tim A

Re: Hey guy's

#6 Post by Tim A »

DJ Big Ronn wrote:I somehow missed this very important piece of information. Since I always run 4 DR-250's when I DJ, would you expect any of Daves curve to change. I know that running four smooths things out, but I'd like to know before I change my EQ settings. Let me know if I should just copy his curve. Thanks, Big Ronn.
Read my post. Not having ans RTA, I use David's settings for my base and then tweak from there. It will improve the 250 dramatically.

DJ Big Ronn

#7 Post by DJ Big Ronn »

That is infact a great place to start with the eq. No more boxy sound and even though the hi end frequencies were lowered from where I had them, They actually sound louder. I'm sure that it is because the are sounding clearer and more defined. That's for taking the work out of it guy's :D

David Carter

Re: Hey guy's

#8 Post by David Carter »

Tim Ard wrote:
DJ Big Ronn wrote:I somehow missed this very important piece of information. Since I always run 4 DR-250's when I DJ, would you expect any of Daves curve to change. I know that running four smooths things out, but I'd like to know before I change my EQ settings. Let me know if I should just copy his curve. Thanks, Big Ronn.
Read my post. Not having ans RTA, I use David's settings for my base and then tweak from there. It will improve the 250 dramatically.
Tim, wasn't it you who said a whle back that you run off a Mackie powered mixer with a 9-band EQ? I'm going to get a power amp and EQ someday, but for now, my DR250's (whch will probably be finished in Jan. sometime due to holiday travels) will be running off a buddy's powered mixer with the built-in EQ. I'm interested in how to adapt David's starter curve to this much more limited EQ scenario.
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

Tim A

#9 Post by Tim A »

Yes, but with 200's, which seem to need less EQ.

I have used it with the 250's, it's doable, but it doesn't sound as good as it could. The problem with a 9 band is that you affect too many frequencies around the one you want. Some PM's only have a 7 band.

If nothing else, get an inexpensive 31 band EQ and run it through the PM. Mixer out > Power amp in. You can get one for about $100.

DJPhatman

#10 Post by DJPhatman »

Tim Ard wrote:If nothing else, get an inexpensive 31 band EQ and run it through the PM. Mixer out > Power amp in. You can get one for about $100.
+2!!

Good EQ is a MUST
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

David Carter

#11 Post by David Carter »

Tim Ard wrote:If nothing else, get an inexpensive 31 band EQ and run it through the PM. Mixer out > Power amp in. You can get one for about $100.
Yes, based on reading all of bgavin's posts about Rane gear, I've been watching some Rane EQ's on eBay. Problem is that, for the time being, every $ I spend on other gear is a $ that comes out of my DR250 parts budget. I'll have to get serious about looking for something once I finish building.
Dave

Built:

horst

#12 Post by horst »

also consider the idea of a parametric eq, with 5 band parametric you could
arguably fashion a response curve that is more accurate than a 31 band eq.
And they tend to be less valued ie cheaper

I hasten to add that I have no personal experience, yet
You could call me parametric curious

DAVID_L_PERRY

#13 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

horst wrote:also consider the idea of a parametric eq, with 5 band parametric you could
arguably fashion a response curve that is more accurate than a 31 band eq.
And they tend to be less valued ie cheaper

I hasten to add that I have no personal experience, yet
You could call me parametric curious
The only problem with an analog parametric is that its hard to see what is being changed whne all you have is a set of rotary knobs. When you look at a 31 band its pretty clear what has been adjusted.

Now the parametric in the DCX and yamaha digital desks for example clearly shows the effect, and this is a lot more intuitive to use.

I am pretty sure I could do a gig with nothing more than the 01v eq's for tone shaping and get more than adequate results, but it would just take a little setting up.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DAVID_L_PERRY wrote:
I am pretty sure I could do a gig with nothing more than the 01v eq's for tone shaping and get more than adequate results, but it would just take a little setting up.
I did for years. I used an RTA to see what needed to be done to set the speakers to flat, doing so with the visual aid of the screen was simple. I found four filters were adequate, leaving one free as a boom notch. I found that in the vast majority of rooms the only on-site adjustment required was to the notch.

David Carter

#15 Post by David Carter »

DAVID_L_PERRY wrote:I keep forgetting to post my current EQ curve after fitting the throat filler and filters, and plan to do that in the next week or so. Its very similar but a little less adjustment required in the lower mids.
Dave, sometime when you get a chance, I'd love to see your revised EQ curve.
Dave

Built: