Simplexx 110 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Das Jugghead

Re: Simplexx 110 Build

#31 Post by Das Jugghead »

When making the speaker jack plates yesterday I realized they were not square which was not something I could not accept. Even though they would be glued into the cabinet from the inside and no one would ever know it was not something I was going to let go. The solution? Build a small table saw sled for making accurate cross-cuts. A few minutes on You Tube and I decided to make a small one for now in order to keep the project moving and build a larger one later. I had some scrap wood laying around that just so happened to be perfect for this side project and in a matter of minutes I had it glued up and setting.

I laid out some saran wrap on the table saw and put pennies in the guide groove to raise the guide slightly.
IMG_7342.jpg
Then using a bead of PL I put the bed of the sled on top of that and used a brick to hold it down.
IMG_7343.jpg
I set a heater in the garage to keep things warm and used some other scrap pieces of plywood to help funnel the heat toward the pieces. Last night the temperatures dipped to 27 degrees and the rest of this week will be in the teens at night. The rest of the glue-ups will be done in the basement and I m hoping to have the cabinets done by this weekend.

Here's a picture of the underside of the sled which also shows the saran wrap and pennies I used.
IMG_7341.jpg
I still have to make the passing cut on the table saw and install the fence for the sled but that can be done in about an hour. Here's a video that i found to be very helpful in the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE9f4bp_wm8

Das Jugghead

#32 Post by Das Jugghead »

This morning I ran the small table saw sled through the saw to create a straight edge as well as generate material for the sled fence. I attached the fence by pre-drilling for the screw closest to the saw blade. Then I used my framing square to get the fence squared up to the rip cut. I finished up by pre-drilling for the screw on the end of the fence furthest from the saw blade and by adding a final screw in the middle just for added measure.
IMG_7346.jpg
I am not sure why this image keeps attaching upside down - either stand on your head when viewing or turn your screen 180 degrees.
IMG_7348.jpg
I re-cut the speaker jack plates and could not be more pleased with the precision - not bad for a jig made from scrap wood!

I went ahead and ripped the interior braces and used the small table saw sled to cut those to length. Really happy I made this simple tool.

Das Jugghead

#33 Post by Das Jugghead »

Installing the first of the interior braces using the flat jigs I employed for baffle earlier in this thread.
IMG_7353.jpg

Das Jugghead

#34 Post by Das Jugghead »

Recessed speaker jack plate holes finished using the jig I built yesterday and a router. Fret not - I cleaned up the excess PL with a sharp chisel prior to using the jig.
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_7352.jpg

Bruce Weldy

#35 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Your woodworking looks very good. Hope you'll weigh it when you are done.....I'm thinking a building a pair of those.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Das Jugghead

#36 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Your woodworking looks very good. Hope you'll weigh it when you are done.....I'm thinking a building a pair of those.
Thank you sir. I will weigh it after I get it completed with the hardware and the wrap.

More internal braces. I used the flat jigs from earlier still covered in saran wrap with clamps.
IMG_7357.jpg
IMG_7358.jpg
I hope to get the last of the internal braces installed tomorrow, pilot holes for the speaker mounts drilled, and the holes for the Speakon connectors done.

Das Jugghead

#37 Post by Das Jugghead »

Cut and installed the vertical interior braces this morning before the wife got up.
IMG_7360.jpg
I realize that the brace over the speaker hole should be rotated 90 degrees on its axis but since it about a quarter of an inch short I elected to install it as depicted in order to take advantage of the larger surface area for bonding. If this is insufficient then I will add another brace to this at the 90 degree position to form an "L" - hoping Mr. Fitzmaurice will chime in on this.

One thing I would do differently on any future build would be to mark and install the speaker cleats last so as to be able to install the vertical brace in that position as close to the speaker hole as possible. This would involve rotating the speaker 22.5 degrees from its present orientation so that the top hole is no longer in the twelve o'clock position. Not a big deal but just one of those little things that I will think about.
IMG_7359.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#38 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The orientation of that brace doesn't matter. In terms of what it does a sufficiently stiff brace only 1/8 inch diameter with adequate bonding would be just as effective. The reason for using as large a brace as specified is to have it sufficiently stiff and to have enough gluing area to adequately bond it.

Das Jugghead

#39 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:The orientation of that brace doesn't matter. In terms of what it does a sufficiently stiff brace only 1/8 inch diameter with adequate bonding would be just as effective. The reason for using as large a brace as specified is to have it sufficiently stiff and to have enough gluing area to adequately bond it.
Thank you sir - I appreciate the feedback.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#40 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Don't call me sir, that's reserved for McCartney. 8)

Das Jugghead

#41 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Don't call me sir, that's reserved for McCartney. 8)
Copy that - a product of my upbringing.

chrisj360

#42 Post by chrisj360 »

Looking good!
2 x 21" T30's with Lab12's
2 x 28" T30's with Lab12's
2 x OTop12 with Deltalite 2512

Das Jugghead

#43 Post by Das Jugghead »

chrisj360 wrote:Looking good!
Thank you sir. Not much progress on the cabinets over the weekend but hope to get the backs PL'd into place tomorrow and get the speakers temporarily installed so I can find the center of gravity for handle placement.

Das Jugghead

#44 Post by Das Jugghead »

Cutting foam and using PL to secure it in place. Not sure how well the PL will hold it in place but I will check it in a few hours.
IMG_7386.jpg
I used an old room key card to spread it in place.
IMG_7388.jpg
The gentle reader will note the repair necessitated by having routed the recessed speaker jack plate hole in the wrong location.
IMG_7390.jpg
IMG_7391.jpg
Then I used the speaker cabinet to put pressure on it while the PL cures.
IMG_7394.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#45 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

PL should work fine. I use 3M spray adhesive because it's so fast and easy to work with.