T48 and OT12 with live band

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Preston

T48 and OT12 with live band

#1 Post by Preston »

I've spent the last two years playing bass almost every weekend in a band that always hires sound, including a few venues with installed house systems. All of these companies have pretty large and expensive systems, and most of the "engineers" know their business pretty well. Recently, I've joined a second band and have been using my own rig. This is a fairly typical, moderately loud, 4 piece 90's rock band.

Saturday, I corner loaded a single 24" 3015 T48 and set up a pair of melded OT12's 3012 loaded. The sound quality was amazing and I had more volume than we would ever need in that room. We barely had the master off the deck. It had been a while since I had the chance to use my own system. I was really pleased by how much better it sounded than the "pro" systems we've been using in the other band, including in this same room. The bass was clean and full, the vocals and other instruments clear and detailed. I'll be doubling the cab counts for a multi-band show outside later this summer, and really looking forward to showing off what these can do. I'd like to add a couple more T48's for the outside work, but I've already tested it with some prerecorded tracks and know that two will absolutely get the job done as long as the volume isn't stupid.

Bruce Weldy

Re: T48 and OT12 with live band

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Yep.....it is amazing just how good these boxes sound. When you add the second pair of OT12s, it will be even better.

But, definitely add more subs for outside.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Preston

#3 Post by Preston »

Yes, I often run two per side with a straight array on top of the melded. Stunning how good they sound. I usually have to cut the tops about -6 dB if I only use a single T48.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Preston wrote:Yes, I often run two per side with a straight array on top of the melded. Stunning how good they sound. I usually have to cut the tops about -6 dB if I only use a single T48.
Didn't realize you already had 4 of 'em. I always run all 4, regardless of the number of subs needed - they just sound smoother when two of 'em start dancing together....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Preston

#5 Post by Preston »

Set up outdoors with a really wide stage this weekend. Used a 36" and 24" wide T48 per side with two OTop-12 each side. Stacks were separated by at least 60 feet. The coverage and sound quality was breathtaking. Smooth, even bass just enveloped the grounds. The OTops equally were clear, detailed, and projected both deep and wide. Walking around the grounds it just sounded great everywhere. Also used the WH10's for monitoring and the band really liked the foldback. I plan to add a 3rd OTop to each side (maybe a 4th eventually) and construction on another pair of T48's will start soon. Had plenty of SPL with the existing system for the venue, but want to be able to do larger shows. We'll be doing a 6 band festival this weekend outdoors and will probably have the subs clustered rather than split wide. The T48/Otop combo is just a stellar system for live music.

Chris_Allen

#6 Post by Chris_Allen »

Preston wrote:Set up outdoors with a really wide stage this weekend. Used a 36" and 24" wide T48 per side with two OTop-12 each side.
I would love to hear a system set up like that.

Glad it's working out for you - any plans to add to the BFM family? At 60ft wide, I always think a centre OT12 with a mono summed mix would be useful.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Preston

#7 Post by Preston »

I was really impressed by how much high end was still there even really close to the stage in the middle. The melded arrays work like a champ. A near field monitor would probably be advised if I needed it louder right in front, but it wasn't an issue at this particular gig: mostly just wallpaper music at a winery. We are adding another pair of T48 and a 3rd OT12 per side in the near future.

David Raehn

#8 Post by David Raehn »

It IS a great combo for live music, isn't it?

6 OT12s, 4 with Deltas and horns, 2 with 3012s and melded array.
4 T48s 24" with 3015LF.
4 Wedgehorn 8s
ONE 15 amp breaker. (Barely)

107 dBC @ 75 feet for 3 hours. Smooth mix, no harsh complaints.
Attachments
20170925_165131_resized.jpg
20170925_165116_resized.jpg
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The melded should be on the bottom of the stack for maximum HF dispersion at close range.

David Raehn

#10 Post by David Raehn »

I know.... :bash:
4 were good enough for the first 2 nights. Had to add the melded for the headliner.
Had great dispersion with the comp horns initially, and I think the melded did well with the tent being close.
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Preston

#11 Post by Preston »

Did two shows over the weekend. Saturday night was a small inside club (about 40 people) and only used 1 OT12 per side (melded) and a single 24" T48 corner loaded. Way more than was needed, but sounded fantastic and we were able to keep the volume down while still sounding great. Many compliments from the ownership.
Sunday was an 8 am set up for an 11 am downbeat. 6 bands lasting until 9 pm, big outside venue, several hundred people over a wide lawn that sloped away from the stage at a pretty good grade. Two 36" and two 24" T48s clustered and 2 OT12 per side (slightly splayed outward) gave us just what we needed. Rave reviews from many attendees. I'm still a little shocked by how well this system performs, and it brings a smile to face every time I fire it up. They just work!
WH10s were also deployed, and performed as advertised. Every performer could hear whatever they needed with plenty of extra on tap and zero feedback all night.

Tom Smit

#12 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap:
TomS