It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: line array coupling
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:24 pm 

Happened to mix on another band's gear this weekend.
Three JBL double 18's per side and 4 line array tops placed horizontally across the subs. (two JBL, two QSC)
Fortunately I got to hear a band on this setup the night before and noticed a response hole from 100-220 Hz. which I was able to correct when I mixed through it but I was taken aback by the top placement as pictured. Its bad enough they mixed manufacturers of top cabs but the horizontal splay seemed downright silly, or they simply did not have the ability to hang them vertically.

I was wondering , though if the drivers in such an array still couple. I though I heard Bill mention previously that the low end of his tops extends when you stack them, does the same thing happen when you "row" them?

Attachment:
The attachment Speaker_array.jpg is no longer available

Attachments:
Speaker_array.jpg
Speaker_array.jpg [ 20.73 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]

Post subject: Re: line array coupling
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Doing that the radiation pattern is rotated 90 degrees, making it narrow instead of wide. That's pretty typical of users with no idea how speakers work. Understandable with newbies, inexcusable with someone who charges for their services.
Quote:
I though I heard Bill mention previously that the low end of his tops extends when you stack them, does the same thing happen when you "row" them?
That's something else entirely, the lowering of the corner frequency when horn loaded cabs are coupled.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:30 am 

are those the vrx line? since they are not boxes, they probably couldn't safely stack them vertically...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm 

They usually run two of the subs per side and put the pair of VRX on a pole above them for their indoor gigs. I don't believe they have the rigging to suspend them from anything. I think they combined two separate systems for this event and no, they aren't a "sound" company in the traditional sense, they are a well funded regional band with a lot more gear than brains. Their lead guitar player is their "sound guru" who came up with this wonderful topology. Dead zone in the front middle within ten feet of the stage, and nothing but bass when you were off to either side. I managed to get it to sound reasonable depending on where you stood, but I would rather have used my two Otops per side on top of those subs. 500 people in attendance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 am 

Which band?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:56 pm 

I hesitate to say. He (the namesake) is from Pittsburgh and is a "Nashville" recording artist playing regionally in the area of western PA, Ohio and WV. Nice folks, all of them, and I wasn't going to bash them about the speaker setup as we may have to work with them in the future. Last year we rented an L-Acoustic line array for the same show and needless to say it was Waay better. We played on an L-Acoustic rig last Saturday as a matter of fact to about 6 thousand people. This weekend its back to my Otops and T-39s for some smaller shows : )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm 

dswpro wrote:
I hesitate to say. He (the namesake) is from Pittsburgh and is a "Nashville" recording artist playing regionally in the area of western PA, Ohio and WV. Nice folks, all of them, and I wasn't going to bash them about the speaker setup as we may have to work with them in the future. Last year we rented an L-Acoustic line array for the same show and needless to say it was Waay better. We played on an L-Acoustic rig last Saturday as a matter of fact to about 6 thousand people. This weekend its back to my Otops and T-39s for some smaller shows : )

It is fun to mix on the big boys though, isn't it?

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:15 pm 

Can't you rent 2 scaffolds, one scaffold for the left side one scaffold for th right, with 2 shelves each, position the scaffolds straddling the subs. On each shelf, put the one pair of the same brand line array cabs bracketed together and horizontally positioned as they're supposed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 am 

The rig with the line array cabs on their side was not my rig, so we had to take what they had already set up. Next year we will rent a decent line array or possibly not play the gig.

This weekend it was nice to mix out of doors on a well set up rig. I can raise the thresholds on my input compressors, have all the headroom I want with no feedback and wander around with my tablet to see how it sounds everywhere. It is like having four zones though. One just off the apron of the stage where front fills or side washes are pointed, the other further back where you are in the pattern of the mains, and one on each side of the stage where a small ground stack covers the far left and right.

Attachment:
File comment: This was the Rig last weekend
Lock3LineArrays.jpg
Lock3LineArrays.jpg [ 77.62 KiB | Viewed 288 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: The crowd that night when I was mixing
Lock3FromStage.jpg
Lock3FromStage.jpg [ 27.48 KiB | Viewed 288 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:38 pm 

Nice stage! Looking good in Akron Ohio! Details on the loudspeakers and sound system? Generic rigging and flying hardware or manufacturer specific fly hardware uniquely made for those boxes only?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:44 am 

Woodsy's music store in Kent Ohio also has a PA company they operate. This is their rig.
L-Acoustic VDOSC line arrays (9 tops per side) on ground standing crank lifts. They had six SB218 subs in a center cluster and 2 dV-Subs and a couple L-A tops per side for filling the outside wings, and a couple front fills sweeping from the sides of the stage apron . I did not look too closely at the controllers or amp racks, I am assuming LAB-Gruppen unless L-Acoustic has their own amps, next time I will take detailed pics, I was busy getting the headliner setup and sound checked. It sounded effing glorious. : )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 am 

dswpro wrote:
L-Acoustic VDOSC line arrays (9 tops per side) on ground standing crank lifts.

Nice. Any idea what's the brand/model of ground standing crank lifts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:52 am 

I believe this (GUIL TMD545) wasa the lift in use: http://guil-liftingtowers.com/portfolio/tmd545/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:12 pm 

GUIL towers, Lab-gruppen (behringer) amps, L-Acoustic speakers, that's a 100% European made rig!

I was wondering why they went to the trouble to import the towers, when plenty of great towers are made in the US, but obviously, all of the rig was probably all imported as a package.