How to make a powered speaker work properly

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

How to make a powered speaker work properly

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Since we all know that powered speakers are akin to cancer, the only proper thing to do is to remove the offending growth, allowing the patient to have a happy and productive life.

First, the tumor must be removed.
IMG_1967.JPG
Now a cover must be produced to precisely fit the gaping wound.
IMG_1969.JPG
In order to receive proper nourishment, a feeding tube must be inserted.
IMG_1970.JPG
Now that the offending tumor has been removed, it may now function as a productive member of the audio family serving it's original purpose....just a little surgery to give it better functionality.
IMG_1972.JPG
After healing, the patient and the formerly offensive tumor are now operating in perfect harmony - the way God intended.
Attachments
IMG_1974.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

Re: How to make a powered speaker work properly

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ok, that's the fairy tale......here's the real story.

A buddy of mine bought a new house, gutted it and built it back with cables in the walls for all of his speakers for his HT and distribution around the house.

He asked me to come help him set it up. The location for the subwoofer was prewired with speaker cable......uh...."ya' can't do that with a powered speaker".

No way to run a signal cable....anyway is would have been a 40 foot run of unbalanced signal.... :cop:

So, we had to put the amp where it belonged - in the equipment room next to the receiver. And the sub has to live in the listening area.....thus, we had to surgically separate the twins and put them in their respective homes.
51957535997__827B0B2C-6FA2-4B00-A3C9-901A96334AA2.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

Bruce Weldy wrote:A buddy of mine bought a new house, gutted it and built it back with cables in the walls for all of his speakers for his HT and distribution around the house.
And he didn't let you show him the BFM HT love? Some friend... :wall: :mrgreen: :lol:

Give him a :slap: from this Yankee!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJPhatman wrote: And he didn't let you show him the BFM HT love? Some friend... :wall: :mrgreen: :lol:
You kidding? I'm glad not to get pulled into the "will you build me some speakers" game. I've already had a couple of people ask me to build 'em a PA like mine.....not interested.

However, I do wish my friends would consult with me before they buy gear and start making plans instead of after.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

You've made my day Bruce...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote:You've made my day Bruce...
Then my work here is done!
:mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

You have a way with words, Bruce. :loler:
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Drove out to his new house on the lake this afternoon and installed the sub (you should see the view from his living room).

Got everything hooked up and found Iron Man on one of the movie channels.....he had a big grin with the first BOOM.

It's fun to help out friends......yeah, it ain't great gear, but it's better than it was and he's happy....that's what it's all about.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Grant Bunter

#9 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bruce, have to say thanks again!
Not only did you make my day, you've shown me a way to deal with an install with a powered sub.
Rather than having to run a new signal lead (the old system before I upgraded it was speaker output driven), I'm gonna steal your idea fair and square.
After I fix the driver lol...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...