Best electronics guy I have found yet

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
subharmonic

Best electronics guy I have found yet

#1 Post by subharmonic »

If you are tired of taking your gear to the electronics repair guy and not having it fixed, deemed unrepairable (after you paid $50 for just looking at it), no issue found, having full boards replaced when a single component is the issue.....I finally found a good one. Anyway I told him about the forum and offered to post his email. He also checks for "stressed" out components along the way, 100% fix rate for me so far. He would be willing to take stuff shipped etc I will let you work out the details.

Anyway
PK Electronics in Bismarck ND
his name is Pete
pktech@mybluelight.com

So far he has repaired:
Crown XTI 1000 (4 47 ohm resistors near PS)(he mentioned a cap in that part of the circuit is usually the issue but it wasn't stressed) under $50
Ashly 308 That took a fall (new transformer, couple other minor components) under $40
Behringer A500 (something with the input stage on one side) under $50
Behringer DSP8024 (hard reset) around $10

Anyway give him a email if you have a bonepile like me to be looked at.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

rr97guy

Re: Best electronics guy I have found yet

#2 Post by rr97guy »

I need a repair guy like that but living in Texas shipping an 80lb mixing console would probably be as much as it would cost to buy another one used. I have a Peavey SRC2410 Monitor console that the power supply is going bad and the local guy wanted $95 an hour to tell me what I already know. I was going to order a replacement one from Peavey and fix it myself but they no longer stock the complete unit. I hate to trash the thing and I know its most likely repairable. I have tried to find a used one for parts with no luck. I may take the power supply out and take it apart and see if its something that is minor that I could get from Mouser Electronics.I am NOT a bench tech but I can solder very well and I can use a test meter. Maybe one of you have an idea I hadn't considered? I hate to buy another monitor console because I seldom get bigger productions and cross renting isn't an option unless I drive 4 hours to rent one. I know I am being cheap but the money I save would be much better spent on my pending T48s.

subharmonic

#3 Post by subharmonic »

I was think digital amps, processors etc. Stuff that is relatively cheap to ship
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

jimbo7

#4 Post by jimbo7 »

I found a guy on craigslist that works for peanuts! (almost) He's retired and repairs stuff for tips or trades as a hobby. He rewired an old old lap steel amp and protected the patina for me. I gave him some electronic parts for guitars and my tube tester. He said I have a golden ticket for the tube tester and he didn't wanna give back the tube amp. :lol:
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

chris_c_

#5 Post by chris_c_ »

@rr97guy For your peavey monitor console.
1. Contact Peavey to see if they have a repair assistance guide sheet or something like that. Having fixed 100s of them, they know what the most common failures are, and their most common causes.
2. Look for burn marks on components, the board, the traces.
3. Check caps for leaks. Test the ones that are leaking.
4. Test diodes, esp power diodes.
5. Test the transistors esp power transistors.
6. Test power supply is putting out all the expected voltages at rated power.
7. Fuses obviously.
Newest mix 8) https://facebook.com/BEATJACKERmusic "Like" appreciated :D

Rich4349

#6 Post by Rich4349 »

jimbo7 wrote:I found a guy on craigslist that works for peanuts! (almost) He's retired and repairs stuff for tips or trades as a hobby.
That's not Harry Bailey by any chance, is it?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!