New member/first BFhorn/Tuba45

Post your build odyssey here.
ACUA

Re: New member/first BFhorn/Tuba45

#46 Post by ACUA »

:hyper: :clap: :hyper: :clap: :clap:
had a small wedding reception in a smallish gym, first run with the driverack and BF subwoofer. For less than $400 into the materials and some time that i really enjoyed spending to build the cabinet i have a subwoofer that is amazing, the low frequency extension is truly great. I am very happy with the cabinet, its pretty light compared to my previous typical MDF builds, the thing sounds great, it was a conversation piece all night, what is that people would say, i would say go stand by it and listen, they would say i have never seen something like that, it was awesome,

i was catering to a wedding reception not a club style dance so we were not cranking out the tunes but for the need there was plenty of low low end for the whole room. we did not try hard for placement as where it was it made more SPL than was needed,

I have some learning to do, i could not get my kick drums to snap tight i was getting a null in the cross over range and feel like i did not get the phase/delay squared away because even with a steep notch filter i was not making a difference. i played a little with adjusting cross over points but need more time to play with all of it, i ran an auto eq and it sounded pretty good, i used the remote control function all night as i was mingling around to make adjustments and play with the driverack i had a lot of fun but clearly need to tinker with all of it more, i believe it was my lack of experience with the equipment not the subwoofer cabinet, as far as the 35hz-50hz which is below the crossover area it was amazing, Bill's cabs are the real deal and i am really happy i found them!!!!!! i will never go back.

not sure why the pics are inverted,
Attachments
the venue
the venue
the setup
the setup
my mom sitting next to the BFC
my mom sitting next to the BFC
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

ACUA

#47 Post by ACUA »

this completely changes everything, i may never build a direct radiator cabinet ever again...

Ryan Sober

#48 Post by Ryan Sober »

ACUA wrote:this completely changes everything, i may never build a direct radiator cabinet ever again...
You've been bitten.

Now all you need is 3 more identical subs, 4 Otops or DRs, and you'll be set to rock.

Radian

#49 Post by Radian »

Ryan Sober wrote:You've been bitten.
+1 8) Welcome to the machine.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

CoronaOperator

#50 Post by CoronaOperator »

ACUA wrote:this completely changes everything, i may never build a direct radiator cabinet ever again...
Welcome to the dark side! :evil: :evil:
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

ACUA

#51 Post by ACUA »

Radian wrote:
Ryan Sober wrote:You've been bitten.
+1 8) Welcome to the machine.
Hey Radian, Just realized I am really close to your location...

Radian

#52 Post by Radian »

PM replied.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

ACUA

#53 Post by ACUA »

so i did a halloween party last night, sort of a trunk or treat deal in a parking lot, people will decorate their vehicles and sit in or by the trunk of their cars and kids can walk the lot and trick or treat the entire place it is easy and efficient. I set up my pa system and projected the tunes in the first out door venue with my tuba45. I was able to load the cab against a building which really helped my cause. I discovered that I had managed to reverse the banana plug connector wiring that goes from the sub amp to the sub which was reversing the polarity to the sub, that was exactly what my problem was at the wedding. man i feel like a major noob for not noticing it the other night. :noob: once i corrected the phase alignment i got my snap back in my kick drum. I did not have a ton of time to test and tune before the event started but with proper phasing it sounded good and for the crowd i had I had plenty of bass. there were a group of teens that huddled up to the subwoofer cabinet. I said you guys like that uh, they replied heck yes it rocks, i said i feel the same way!!!!!! there was no one there who could appreciate how good the low frequencies were being produced considering that the subwooofer driver is only a 12" and it was only consuming 300watts,

Bill, :clap: to you while standing, Sir!!!!!

ACUA

#54 Post by ACUA »

so i just wanted to formally update my situation, I have completed 4 tuba45 cabs 24in wide lab12 loaded.

from an engineering standpoint and i am no accomplished engineer, if there are 3 components in the equation (output, cost, mass) it has been said that you can have any two of the three but the third component will be the compromise, i want the most spl i can get, and I have very little money, size seems to be the variable i can compromise the most at the moment. so in all of my research these bfm designs seem to be the correct application. they are complicated to build and are of the diy variety which is a plus because my labor is free to me and i like telling people that I built it, merica ya. i also like the exclusivity of the equipment, not easily repeated,

so the design is +6db abouts over direct radiator design, that means i will need 1/4th the amplifier power in the end with these drivers which saves me a ton of money,

I wanted to be capable of going low down in the 30hz area, i admit i dont have a lot of musical material that hangs out around there but i want to have it when i need it!!! :hyper: the tuba series was what i believe was going to be the best for my goals, with 4 cabs 24inch wide i should be somewhere about 105db 1watt at 30hz, with a max output of 130dbish at 30hz groundplane and close to 140db corner loaded indoors. now i admit for the 50cubic inch foot print of the rig the spl spec is not that impressive in today's market however anything capable of 130-140db on the market will require 4kwatts to operate and for a subwoofer and amplifer capable of that it will cost $4000 at least according to my research!!! and nothing i have seen that is commercially available will reach down below 37hz with any authority. so even if i went the other route i still would be shy the low extension desired. I have my subwoofer rig for a total cost of just under $2.4k and it fits my small trailer ok, i wish to include the cost of my driverack in the cost because its vital to the integration of the bfm subs

my conclusion is that there is no other way today to get as much output as i have that has as much sonic accuracy and low extension as it does for any less money than i spent that fits my current pack space.

are the Bill Fitzmaurice loaded horns the be all end all design, no they are not, a rich person with little to no pack space will likely not benefit from these designs, but for my interest and goals they are exactly what i was looking for. 8)
Attachments
3 of the 4
3 of the 4

DJPhatman

#55 Post by DJPhatman »

Honestly, lose those Peavey dual 15" "tops" and build 4 of either DR200s, DR250s or OmniTop12s. This will REALLY wake the system up, we promise! :wink: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :cowboy:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Padde298

#56 Post by Padde298 »

Looking at the pics, it seems like you have chosen a different type of ply than the specified Baltic Birch? How would you describe the experience making them in this material, and do you see any advantages/disadvantages of the choice when looking at the final result?
Nice build, and I especially like the reflections you made in the last post, having made 4 cabs! :clap:
More bass, more bass! :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

2 x TAT