Introducing SPL Chart

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Introducing SPL Chart

#226 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote: and any corrected response chart nearly useless?
I'd disagree......as long as the chart shows what comes out of the speaker, what does it matter if they've used non-user accessible internal dsp to get it? That shows you what happens when you feed it an un-equalized source.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#227 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
I'd disagree......as long as the chart shows what comes out of the speaker, what does it matter if they've used non-user accessible internal dsp to get it? That shows you what happens when you feed it an un-equalized source.....
If I posted charts of my speakers with DSP correction they'd all be perfectly flat, essentially telling you nothing. That would be true of any speaker that's had correction applied. But the manufacturer can still measure the speaker without correction if they so desire.

Bruce Weldy

#228 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:
If I posted charts of my speakers with DSP correction they'd all be perfectly flat, essentially telling you nothing. That would be true of any speaker that's had correction applied. But the manufacturer can still measure the speaker without correction if they so desire.
The difference being that you can only obtain that speaker in that configuration with the dsp. So, to tear it apart to measure it would seem kinda' silly. If the dsp can get it flat, that's what's important, right? Whether it can do that, or whether it actually sounds any good is the real question.

It's apples and oranges. To compare a powered speaker to an unpowered speaker is worthless, because of all the components required to run the unpowered can be changed.

Compare powered to powered and unpowered to unpowered when using charts. For the important stuff.....use your ears.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

GrooveFrequencies

#229 Post by GrooveFrequencies »

I just wanted to put together a frequency chart of the best of bfm subs compared to the other manufactured subs. I have a friend who has doubts that wanted to see them compared to jbl and mackie especially. All i have to say is :chainsaw:
4 19" wide tuba 60 Lab 12 loaded (for sale)
2 GC25AK's
Built:DR 280's, Tuba 60's, Jack 10, Jack 12 lite

Tom Smit

#230 Post by Tom Smit »

And I threw in a T39, 18" wide with an S2010. Don't forget, though, that the S2010 is limited to 28v (150w)

GrooveFrequencies wrote:

I just wanted to put together a frequency chart of the best of bfm subs compared to the other manufactured subs. I have a friend who has doubts that wanted to see them compared to jbl and mackie especially. All i have to say is :chainsaw:
TomS

Chris_Allen

#231 Post by Chris_Allen »

....and I wanted to highlight the estimated feature by adding +6 at the end of the T39 cab name
GrooveFrequencies wrote:

Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

GrooveFrequencies

#232 Post by GrooveFrequencies »

2x15? psh :bull: , super expensive name brand line array? psh :bull: , even the otop has all that stuff beat! lol and to think, it only gets better when they're stacked! :owned:
4 19" wide tuba 60 Lab 12 loaded (for sale)
2 GC25AK's
Built:DR 280's, Tuba 60's, Jack 10, Jack 12 lite

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#233 Post by Harley »

:oops: HT for T.W.O.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#234 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
The difference being that you can only obtain that speaker in that configuration with the dsp. So, to tear it apart to measure it would seem kinda' silly.
The point of SPL charts isn't to see how flat response is, it's to see the raw output of the speaker so that you can compare it to the raw output of another speaker and in so doing be able to extrapolate their relative potential output capacities. That means having the same voltage swing into both. As soon as you EQ in any way shape or form you don't have the same voltage swing into both, so no conclusions about output capacity may be drawn.

biggerrigger

#235 Post by biggerrigger »

Can someone please post a chart for the 24" T39 LAB12 loaded cab front loaded version and the new version DR250 Delta Light II 2510 loaded in both melded and straight array?
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#236 Post by Harley »

This has no relation to the above post - I've got a gig tomorrow where bass has to be backline, sold all my J112's and wanted to know of 3 J110s would be better than 1 J115 in case I need to crank it up.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

DaveK

#237 Post by DaveK »

You don't have to actually post the chart to see it. Just Preview your post, save the image to disk, then Cancel the post.

ncgrove

#238 Post by ncgrove »

Harley wrote:

This has no relation to the above post - I've got a gig tomorrow where bass has to be backline, sold all my J112's and wanted to know of 3 J110s would be better than 1 J115 in case I need to crank it up.

Curious as to how you were planning on wiring up 3 cabs. Will your amp handle a 2.5 ohm load?

Gregory East

#239 Post by Gregory East »

Close enough.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

biggerrigger

#240 Post by biggerrigger »

Thanks Gregory
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array