Getting pub smoke out of gear.

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Think

Re: Getting pub smoke out of gear.

#16 Post by Think »

BrentEvans wrote:
Think wrote:.

//edit: spreading around used coffee grounds can also nutralize smells. (maybe fresh coffee also works, I don't know)....
That would be replacing one offensive smell with another. ......
I think you need to use used grouds, you can spread them out so they dry. They have hardly any smell left, but probably can absord odors just like carbonfilters as it is carbon rich. After drying you can spread them, leave them for a few days and brush or vacuum them out. I mostly have seen older people do that after a party at home when people had been smoking. I alsways have a batch of dried coffee grounds in my kitchen but for other use. But I do smoke at home and with a little ventilation and plants in my living room, the air is fine.

Used coffee ground are also a great fertiziler for plants, just like eggshells and bananapeels. I put the collected eggshelss in the bottom of my oven to sterilize them (salmonella), when I use it to bake something else. Just dry them and grind the eggshells and bananapeels to powder.

88h88

#17 Post by 88h88 »

Luckily since they banned smoking in bars in a bunch of places in Europe the worst you'll get is rancid old beer stink and that's bad enough. Hope you can sort it, stale smoke is disgusting.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

BrentEvans

#18 Post by BrentEvans »

It's banned here too (North Carolina) but the gig was in our (apparently backwards) sister state, South Carolina. SC never ceases to amaze me. A couple of years back, I rode with a friend who was A1 touring with a local country band. They were doing what I would call a "redneck restaurant" in SC. The guy started going on about the Confederate flag.... and they started booing. In South Carolina. Think about that for a minute....
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

88h88

#19 Post by 88h88 »

Oh it's definitely health related but more should be done about other issues to do with air quality too. It's not just a single issue thing but a step towards better health.

...and even if it wasn't health related, smelling like an ash tray isn't something I'd want to have to endure to go out for a social drink with friends on an evening. Let those f**kers stand outside in the cold/rain
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Bruce Weldy

#20 Post by Bruce Weldy »

This is a speaker building forum......let's leave the social commentary and political issues to the rest of the world. The easiest way to devolve this forum into name-calling and back-biting is this kind of stuff. Many of us have made friends world-wide without knowing any of their feelings on political issues.....let's keep it that way.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#21 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bruce Weldy wrote:This is a speaker building forum......let's leave the social commentary and political issues to the rest of the world. The easiest way to devolve this forum into name-calling and back-biting is this kind of stuff. Many of us have made friends world-wide without knowing any of their feelings on political issues.....let's keep it that way.
+1. Off-topic content has been removed.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 19&t=11005

BrentEvans

#22 Post by BrentEvans »

All righty then.... not sure what I missed.... but I do apologize if I started anything there...

Seeing that my original question has been adequately answered, I have no objection to locking this up if necessary.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Das Jugghead

#23 Post by Das Jugghead »

I am a bit late to the party here but I recently GI'd some of the gear in our rehearsal space using Oxy-Clean with very good results. I used a brush like the ones used for washing dishes with the Oxy-Clean in a bowl. It took three or four treatments with the brush and wiping it off with a clean towel but now no smoke smell at all. I smoked for years and quit about ten years ago - for some reason now I am highly sensitive to it.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#24 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I smoked when I was young, and never noticed the smell of it in bars or anywhere else, including my own home or car. That's back when almost everyone smoked. I can smell it now, so that indicates to me that if it's omnipresent you get desensitized to it.

BrentEvans

#25 Post by BrentEvans »

I have to wonder how much of the desensitization is part of the addiction. We came up against that head-on last week. We took the kids to a park to enjoy the nice afternoon, and another family was there... no big deal, obviously, until several of them lit up Inside the playground area. The whole park is supposed to be smoke free. Even THEIR kids were telling them they weren’t supposed to smoke in there. It bothered us, but I didn’t say anything until my kids started coughing (they’re both asthmatic and it triggers the asthma). I very politely reminded them that the park was smoke free, and asked them to put the smokes out. One of them copped attitude and went and drug her then-crying kids (and the rest of her family) back to the car yelling and screaming about the “a-holes who wouldn’t let me smoke just a little cigarette that never hurt anybody.’

We were very sad For her kids. It’s pathetic that someone would let their addiction mean more to them than their kids. Never hurt anyone, indeed.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#26 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I find nearby cigarette smoke still smells good, and more than a bit enticing. It's the smell that it leaves behind in a room that's stale and off putting.

BrentEvans

#27 Post by BrentEvans »

They smell the same to me, and i’ve Heard similar observations as yours from both former smokers, and as mine from non-smokers. Wonder what the psychology is behind that?

netwerks

#28 Post by netwerks »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/
one hour or two hours in your enclosed garage even in your trailer.

Only thing it doesnt work on is cat urine.

Rich4349

#29 Post by Rich4349 »

Ozone generators aren't cure alls. No, I don't have any personal experience with them, but this extensive article explains a lot.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality- ... r-cleaners

They DO seem to be effective removing cigarette smoke smell, but don't have much to offer in the way of long lasting effects on many other smells. As long as the aroma of ozone remains (described as similar to bleach), then other smells are masked. But once it fades, they return. Amazon reviews also reflect this opinion.

The big thing to be aware of is the toxicity of these things, especially in limited ventilation places, such as single rooms with closed doors or small homes. Pets and plants have to be removed during the exposure time. And as a BFM type, I know I like to go big or stay home. The model of generator *I* would be drawn to would certainly make someone sick as hell if not far worse.

Just my 2c.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

RubiconProSound
Location: Pollock Pines CA. (between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento...)

#30 Post by RubiconProSound »

For what it's worth, my little yorkie decided to tangle with a skunk in the back yard and when I let her in the house she ran under my bed and rubbed her face on the carpet. The usual concoction of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap worked on her, (gotta love mythbusters...) but for removing the odor from the home I found a product called Fresh Wave IAQ.

http://www.freshwaveiaq.com/

be advised it's not odorless, and it's essentially masking the offending odor until it does it's magic. After a short time the smell of the Freshwave dissipates. In my experience a little goes a long way so use sparingly at first. Some folks in the reviews couldn't stand the odor so if you're sensitive to odors in general I recommend getting the free sample they offer as a tester.
Built so far:
AutoTuba. TAT, T18, T30, T39, SLA, SLA Pro, DR200, Omni 12TB, Omni 12 Sub, Omni 10.5,