My band just put out our first EP!

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Ryan Sober

My band just put out our first EP!

#1 Post by Ryan Sober »

I am the vocalist for a modern metal band called Lokust.
Our debut EP came out this past Sunday, and if you'd like to check it out, you can find it here (for free, of course):

https://lokustband.bandcamp.com/album/schism-ep

Any criticism and critique is welcome! This is my first time performing vocals in a band, so feedback is helpful!
Thanks!

James Champer

Re: My band just put out our first EP!

#2 Post by James Champer »

Not my cup of tea but well done!

And when I say not my cup of tea, I mean the screamo portion. I love a good hard metal and the songs have a great driving beat plus seem well composed. Talented group of musicians imo.

For me, your vocals shined on "Radiate". Good enough to be a single released to appeal to a wider audience than the others I would think.

Also, kudos to your drummer for his kick work. That takes control. I kept listening for a mistake and didn't find any.

The one thing that bugged me (as a drummer myself) is that the cymbals sounded soo thin. Perhaps intentional (brand or produced) but I prefer a more commanding, warm sound in a crash and especially if one is to use them in 1/4 or 1/8 notes in place of the hi-hats.

Nice work overall!
Retired Authorized Loudspeaker Builder - Indianapolis, IN

Ryan Sober

#3 Post by Ryan Sober »

James Champer wrote:Not my cup of tea but well done!

And when I say not my cup of tea, I mean the screamo portion. I love a good hard metal and the songs have a great driving beat plus seem well composed. Talented group of musicians imo.

For me, your vocals shined on "Radiate". Good enough to be a single released to appeal to a wider audience than the others I would think.

Also, kudos to your drummer for his kick work. That takes control. I kept listening for a mistake and didn't find any.

The one thing that bugged me (as a drummer myself) is that the cymbals sounded soo thin. Perhaps intentional (brand or produced) but I prefer a more commanding, warm sound in a crash and especially if one is to use them in 1/4 or 1/8 notes in place of the hi-hats.

Nice work overall!
Thank you so much for the thorough review!
I did the mixing for this EP, so I will take the comments about the drums to heart.
I appreciate you listening!

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Ryan Sober wrote:
James Champer wrote:Not my cup of tea but well done!

Nice work overall!
Thank you so much for the thorough review!
I did the mixing for this EP, so I will take the comments about the drums to heart.
I appreciate you listening!
I would like to have listened as well, but sound isn't working on my computer since you've put this up.
Cymbals, they can be difficult to record with the body that us drummers would know is in them.
Then again, some cymbals do sound thin. Heck, some cymbals are made thin.
Now some people have mentioned it, talk to your drummer. It can be a rewarding experience to discuss this with your drummer, provided your drummer is not one of those drummers who just likes to hit things.
Have a chat, it might be enough to consider a remix...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Rich4349

#5 Post by Rich4349 »

Agreed: not my style, but sonically toight like a toiger!
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Ryan Sober

#6 Post by Ryan Sober »

Grant Bunter wrote: I would like to have listened as well, but sound isn't working on my computer since you've put this up.
Cymbals, they can be difficult to record with the body that us drummers would know is in them.
Then again, some cymbals do sound thin. Heck, some cymbals are made thin.
Now some people have mentioned it, talk to your drummer. It can be a rewarding experience to discuss this with your drummer, provided your drummer is not one of those drummers who just likes to hit things.
Have a chat, it might be enough to consider a remix...
Thanks for the insight!
The Bandcamp site works really well on mobile, if that's an option.
The drum sounds were done with Superior Drummer, using the Avatar kit. The cymbal sounds are great; I think the thinness is a mix decision I made, to keep the vocals and guitars from clashing with the cymbals. Dense rock and metal mixes require near-surgical EQ cuts to keep aspects of the mix from masking each other. The drummer was very happy with his drum sounds, but I will discuss the cymbal sounds with him before the next release, to see if he wants me to try something else.
Rich4349 wrote:Agreed: not my style, but sonically toight like a toiger!
Thanks very much for checking it out!
I appreciate it.