Movie night in a gym

Anything not covered elsewhere.
y2kindyz

Movie night in a gym

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Hello guys,
I have been asked to put on a movie for our ward movie night. It will be held in our gym.

My question is will my 6 4" speaker SLA be enough to keep up with my 9 speaker TLAH's with 12 tweeters? I plan to use my Denon AVR-991 for RCL. Or should I run it in mono? I also have the option to use my sub MX-150. I don't know how much it will fill the gym.

Option 2 would be to use my PA and just run straight mono.

We are going to watch "Trolls".

Any input is appreciated

Oscar

James Champer

Re: Movie night in a gym

#2 Post by James Champer »

I don't think you would want to run mono, not for a movie. Don't know about "Trolls" but the audio for most movies has been engineered for surround. Mono would kill that and might very well make it sound "dead" no matter what speakers you were using.

(Of course mono might be ok if it were "Trolls 2". hahahha.)

I'll defer to others on the SLA/TLAH question except to say that your Denon should allow you to balance the side/center so that one doesn't outrun the other correct?

Also- yes, use the sub. May not fill the gym but I think you would notice it's absence.
Retired Authorized Loudspeaker Builder - Indianapolis, IN

y2kindyz

#3 Post by y2kindyz »

Thank you James for that confirmation. I will bring the sub. BTW, Great post on your Studio. I am going to take your LED Idea and use it in my living room around my HT Screen. I think It will add a new dimension to movie watching.

James Champer

#4 Post by James Champer »

Thanks y2 and best of luck on the "gig"! :)

DJPhatman

#5 Post by DJPhatman »

Skip the M&K MX-150THX sub, and bring in your PA subs. Gyms are absolutely terrible to get any decent bass response in. I don't know if you have Titan or Tuba subs, but if you don't, borrow some. That MX-150 will be practically useless in a space that large.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

y2kindyz

#6 Post by y2kindyz »

DJPhatman wrote:Skip the M&K MX-150THX sub, and bring in your PA subs. Gyms are absolutely terrible to get any decent bass response in. I don't know if you have Titan or Tuba subs, but if you don't, borrow some. That MX-150 will be practically useless in a space that large.

Unfortunately I don't have subs my self on my PA, just tops. I built some for my Bro-in-law, but don't have access to them. :( Maybe I can barrow a Sub from one of the members that has a 18" sub they purchased from Guitar Center. Not sure how much better that would be. You think I can run both? they are both powered Subs?

Thank you

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

Rent subs, then? It takes a lot to make sub-100Hz in a gym. The rest is fine with HT SLA and TLAH.
DJPhatman wrote:You think I can run both? they are both powered Subs?
If you can get enough space between them, it's possible. It is going to take a LOT to get any sub-bass in a gym-size room. I know you aren't looking for hard-hitting bass, but you want something there. Ask around, see if anyone has a quad of Titans/Tubas you could rent or borrow for the night. Then BUILD YOUR OWN DAYUM SUBS, SON!!! :wall: :loler: :cowboy: :hyper: :owned:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

y2kindyz

#8 Post by y2kindyz »

DJPhatman wrote:
Ask around, see if anyone has a quad of Titans/Tubas you could rent or borrow for the night. Then BUILD YOUR OWN DAYUM SUBS, SON!!! :wall: :loler: :cowboy: :hyper: :owned:
I have a THTLP in the works after I finish up my wife's second J15. The second one is going much faster, hope to be done next week. But I will not be able have it ready by the 17th. :( I am going ask my brother in law if I can barrow his pair of T30's. Hope he is not using them. If not how far apart should I place the Subs?

Thank for the advice

James Champer

#9 Post by James Champer »

y2kindyz wrote:
DJPhatman wrote:
Ask around, see if anyone has a quad of Titans/Tubas you could rent or borrow for the night. Then BUILD YOUR OWN DAYUM SUBS, SON!!! :wall: :loler: :cowboy: :hyper: :owned:
I have a THTLP in the works after I finish up my wife's second J15. The second one is going much faster, hope to be done next week. But I will not be able have it ready by the 17th. :( I am going ask my brother in law if I can barrow his pair of T30's. Hope he is not using them. If not how far apart should I place the Subs?

Thank for the advice
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... f=10&t=398

y2kindyz

#10 Post by y2kindyz »

If you can get enough space between them, it's possible. It is going to take a LOT to get any sub-bass in a gym-size room. I know you aren't looking for hard-hitting bass, but you want something there. Ask around, see if anyone has a quad of Titans/Tubas you could rent or borrow for the night. Then BUILD YOUR OWN DAYUM SUBS, SON!!! :wall: :loler: :cowboy: :hyper: :owned:[/quote]

If I use the powered subs (Direct Radiator) should they be close to each other or together?

DJPhatman

#11 Post by DJPhatman »

y2kindyz wrote:If I use the powered subs (Direct Radiator) should they be close to each other or together?
Oscar, those 2 powered subs will do practically nothing in a gym-sized room. They won't be heard more than 10' out, maybe less. A room that large, or a room with tall ceilings, is very difficult to get a decent bass response in. And, those subs, along with the THT and the TT, are designed to be used in smaller, average-size home living rooms. Not large gyms. The T30s might give you some bass, and they will give you a LOT MORE than the 2 powered subs can, or even 2 THT can. Ask WiSounds, or Monomer. They both tried with THTs. This is exactly the scenerio why I advised you, quite some time ago, to build T39s and tops.