3d printing parts

Anything not covered elsewhere.
amcsc4

3d printing parts

#1 Post by amcsc4 »

Has there been any discussion about 3d printing parts for BFM designs? I was looking over the otop j array today and thought the compression driver horn would be a good candidate.

Grant Bunter

Re: 3d printing parts

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

amcsc4 wrote:Has there been any discussion about 3d printing parts for BFM designs? I was looking over the otop j array today and thought the compression driver horn would be a good candidate.
That would take all the fun out of building them!

I guess it would be a bit like setting up for CNC cutting ply in that you would probably have to go through a number of tweaks to get it right...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

3d printing has come a long way but it's still quite expensive for larger parts like that, both in materials and a printer large enough to do the job.

I personally can't think of anything in these cabs that wouldn't be faster, easier, and cheaper to just make as described in the plans.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

BrentEvans wrote: I personally can't think of anything in these cabs that wouldn't be faster, easier, and cheaper to just make as described in the plans.
+1. FWIW the DR design was originally arrived at to allow it to be built from a few molded sub-assemblies for mass production. The person who wanted to do so (not me) gave up on the idea when he found out that the start up cost would be in the million dollar range just for the molding equipment...per model. :shock:

BrentEvans

#5 Post by BrentEvans »

That'll put a damper on it pretty quick.

Maybe in a few more years when tech gets (even) better and cheaper, you can just 3D print the whole cabinet at your local Fedex Kinkos. Heck... a 3D printer made from a robotic arm and a mig welder now exists... who knows what's next.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

shawn_g

#6 Post by shawn_g »

I have a printer that can do a 12"x16"x10" build volume. Large prints take forever, but it'd be fun to experiment.

Exactly a year ago today, I posted my mini 3D printed T48.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 30&t=23614

BrentEvans

#7 Post by BrentEvans »

So Perhaps you could do a dr that you can plug your iPhone headset into? :)

shawn_g

#8 Post by shawn_g »

BrentEvans wrote:So Perhaps you could do a dr that you can plug your iPhone headset into? :)
I've seriously considered printing a pair of mini OmniTops for the fun of it. I have some 2.5" drivers to use with them. :lol: