Aqua Zumba is ON!!!

Anything not covered elsewhere.
y2kindyz

Aqua Zumba is ON!!!

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok guys,
In a pinch yesterday I used an Yamaha M-85 amp, my TLAH's and a pair of McIntosh 8 speakers to run sound for Aqua Zumba at the house. It was a success. Not as loud as I thought it would be, but sound was direct from computer to amp. So since my wife is going to be offering Aqua Zumba at our home, she asked me to make up a small system for the back yard. So She would not have to LUG My TLAH's or the Mcintosh speakers in and out of the living room.

The back yard is about 75' x 40'. The pool is 15' x 30' and an 8'x8' stage will be at the long end. What would be the most inexpensive speaker build for this? SLA Pro, Jack 12, Otop 12? If I build the SLA Pro's, I will need a sub correct?

I was thinking this would be a great opportunity to build an HT sub that could double for Zumba duty when called on. I have a Dayton 385-88 that I could use, but that would need to be a THT or LPTHT with some wheels to dolly in and out of the house.

I know I will be needing a Mixer, amp and a limiter if I use a sub. I have an EP2500 I can use, but it is as heavy as the Yamaha.

I am open to any suggestions,

Thanks again,

Oscar

Bruce Weldy

Re: Aqua Zumba is ON!!!

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

If they are exercising in the pool, then build Jacks and put 'em on the ground by the pool. Bass response will be better and you can go without subs. Cheaper than SLAs.

regardless of whether you use subs, you should get a little mixer and run balanced to the amp. Hotter signal.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

y2kindyz

#3 Post by y2kindyz »

Bruce Weldy wrote:If they are exercising in the pool, then build Jacks and put 'em on the ground by the pool. Bass response will be better and you can go without subs. Cheaper than SLAs.

regardless of whether you use subs, you should get a little mixer and run balanced to the amp. Hotter signal.

Thanks Bruce,
By jacks I am assuming Jack 15's. Is the $65 difference between the 3015 & 2015 justified?

Thanks

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

y2kindyz wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:If they are exercising in the pool, then build Jacks and put 'em on the ground by the pool. Bass response will be better and you can go without subs. Cheaper than SLAs.

Thanks Bruce,
By jacks I am assuming Jack 15's. Is the $65 difference between the 3015 & 2015 justified?

Thanks
Jack 12 or 15....either one. I can't imagine that you need tons of volume with the cabs sitting poolside, but if you are going to push 'em hard and low, then go with the better speaker.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

ncgrove

#5 Post by ncgrove »

J10L loaded with the S2010 should be plenty loud and light enough for the wife to do all the moving.

The question of which Jack really depends on how quickly you want the police to show up.

y2kindyz

#6 Post by y2kindyz »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Jack 12 or 15....either one. I can't imagine that you need tons of volume with the cabs sitting poolside, but if you are going to push 'em hard and low, then go with the better speaker.

I didn't mention that I plan to use them for light DJ work for church, replacing some Behringer eurolive B1520's.
ncgrove wrote:J10L loaded with the S2010 should be plenty loud and light enough for the wife to do all the moving.

The question of which Jack really depends on how quickly you want the police to show up.
Thanks ncgrove that is an inexpensive option for a future build. Unfortunately the wife likes the low end.

Which leads me to my next question, between the 3015 and the 3012HO, there is not much difference in the vd. 505cc vs 496cc. So for bang for the buck the 3012HO would be the one to go with?

Now about the hi side, I never made a Piezo array, but the CD option looks easier to build. What is the reason to choose one over the other. I plan on using a DriveRack PA for EQ and limiting

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

y2kindyz wrote:the wife likes the low end.
In that case subs aren't optional, and that affects your choice of mains. However, THT is far larger and goes much lower than she needs. If it was me I'd go T39 subs, SLA Pro mains.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

y2kindyz wrote:question, between the 3015 and the 3012HO, there is not much difference in the vd. 505cc vs 496cc. So for bang for the buck the 3012HO would be the one to go with?

Now about the hi side, I never made a Piezo array, but the CD option looks easier to build. What is the reason to choose one over the other. I plan on using a DriveRack PA for EQ and limiting
The 3015 goes lower, but the 3012HO has a better xmax. But.....the Jack 15 is a bigger box and should go lower than the Jack 12. For more bottom, the Jack 15 should win.

But, as Bill said....if you really want to go low, then you gotta' build a sub. Although, I'm betting that the Jacks will do fine for this application - because I imagine what she describes as low is really that kick drum punch that makes 'em shake their booty.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

y2kindyz

#9 Post by y2kindyz »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
y2kindyz wrote:the wife likes the low end.
In that case subs aren't optional, and that affects your choice of mains. However, THT is far larger and goes much lower than she needs. If it was me I'd go T39 subs, SLA Pro mains.
The reason I was thinking LPTHT is to have an excuse to build it and have it do double duty as HT/SUB. And I have the Dayton Driver for the THT.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

y2kindyz wrote: The reason I was thinking LPTHT is to have an excuse to build it and have it do double duty as HT/SUB.
The first time you tried to move it you'd slap yourself upside the head, which would be after your better half had slapped you upside the head and told you "I can't move that thing, you move it!".

y2kindyz

#11 Post by y2kindyz »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
y2kindyz wrote: The reason I was thinking LPTHT is to have an excuse to build it and have it do double duty as HT/SUB.
The first time you tried to move it you'd slap yourself upside the head, which would be after your better half had slapped you upside the head and told you "I can't move that thing, you move it!".
That will work for me, then I will have a sub for HT and an excuse to build a T39 :hyper: Win Win :fruit:

NukePooch

#12 Post by NukePooch »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Although, I'm betting that the Jacks will do fine for this application - because I imagine what she describes as low is really that kick drum punch that makes 'em shake their booty.
+1

I ran 4 Jack 112L, 3012HO loaded, stacked in two pairs on tripods about 100' apart for an outdoor market event that was supposed to be announcements and low-level background music. Of course, no one told me the local Crossfit group was showing up to run people to death out on the parking lot. They were floored at the sound. They told me they didn't expect that much bass out of those 'tiny speakers'.

Was it as good as running subs? Nope. Did it work? Yep. It got the Crossfit booty moving quite well.

If you know for a fact that you're wanting to build subs from the get go, Jacks probably aren't the best option. OTops or SLA's would be better. If you want to start with a pair of speakers and grow as needed...Jacks might just surprise you. Not sure about Behringer B1520's, but my first pair of Jacks ran a measured 3db higher on music than a pair of Beh B215D powered speakers. The Jacks could have gone a bit more, but I ran out of amp...
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

BrentEvans

#13 Post by BrentEvans »

One thing to bear in mind is that with the intended application, the speakers will be on the ground, which means you'll get some free gain as opposed to being on speaker stands. A pair of jack 12s would be a great place to start, then add a sub if needed. It's not like Zumba is done at concert levels and distances.... at a gain that would be comfortable in the pool, you could eq up the bass a bit without worrying about damage. It's not like you're trying to hit 100db at 100 feet. 85db-90db at 20 feet is more like it. It's definenltly worth a try.

Honestly, though, I'd build what you want to replace the behringers with and give her the behringer for pool duty. That way you won't be too hurt if they fall in the pool.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote: give her the behringer for pool duty. That way you won't be too hurt if they fall in the pool.
Or, if some passing sound man happens to kick 'em in the pool..... :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

y2kindyz

#15 Post by y2kindyz »

NukePooch wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote: Although, I'm betting that the Jacks will do fine for this application - because I imagine what she describes as low is really that kick drum punch that makes 'em shake their booty.
+1

I ran 4 Jack 112L, 3012HO loaded, stacked in two pairs on tripods about 100' apart for an outdoor market event that was supposed to be announcements and low-level background music. Of course, no one told me the local Crossfit group was showing up to run people to death out on the parking lot. They were floored at the sound. They told me they didn't expect that much bass out of those 'tiny speakers'.

Was it as good as running subs? Nope. Did it work? Yep. It got the Crossfit booty moving quite well.

If you know for a fact that you're wanting to build subs from the get go, Jacks probably aren't the best option. OTops or SLA's would be better. If you want to start with a pair of speakers and grow as needed...Jacks might just surprise you. Not sure about Behringer B1520's, but my first pair of Jacks ran a measured 3db higher on music than a pair of Beh B215D powered speakers. The Jacks could have gone a bit more, but I ran out of amp...
Thank you for the Info NukePooch
I think I am going to settle on the J15 with the Kappalite 3015, a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I like the higher sensitivity +5 db over the 3012HO.
BrentEvans wrote: A pair of jack 12s would be a great place to start, then add a sub if needed. It's not like Zumba is done at concert levels and distances.... at a gain that would be comfortable in the pool, you could eq up the bass a bit without worrying about damage. It's not like you're trying to hit 100db at 100 feet. 85db-90db at 20 feet is more like it. It's definenltly worth a try.

Honestly, though, I'd build what you want to replace the behringers with and give her the behringer for pool duty. That way you won't be too hurt if they fall in the pool.
Very true, but I have been in some studios and man I needed ear plugs due to people overpowering crappy speakers. I hope the instructors that come for my wifes' classes like the sound and I can rent them my sound for their events.

Now for my next hurdle, I want to build a small rack setup that can be rolled out and in. The problem I see is how to incorporate the small 3 channel mixer like this Image On my other setup I have a Behringer 1002B that had the adapter to fit in a rack space. I plan on making a rack about 35" tall, with a space for 2 amps at the bottom, space above for cables, DriveRack and mixer on top. I guess I can make a small pocket to set the mixer into it.

Any ideas are appreciated