One amp or two?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
y2kindyz

One amp or two?

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok guys my wife is having an aqua Zumba class at our home tomorrow. Will an XTi1002 be able to push pair of behringer eurolive 1520B PA speakers and an older pair of melhart 15" speakers? Or should I use the XTi with one pair and run the other off of an EP2500? Or run both off of the EP2500?

Sound chain will be coming from a computer , to a behringer mixer, to dbx Driverack PX to the amp.

Thanks in advance.

Oscar

DJPhatman

Re: One amp or two?

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Oscar, it should run them plenty loud enough. Just make sure you limit everything to the RMS, not the Peak or music, power rating on the cabs. Clustering and boundary loading subs applies to all subs, not just horn-loaded. You won't get any "boost" like you would with horns, but you won't lose any SPL, either.

Just run them subs on one channel, with a bandpass filter of 45Hz to 100Hz, and put the Behringers on the other channel, band-passed from 100Hz on up. The B1520s can only take 200 watts, or 40Volts. If those subs don't have a power rating, I'd go no higher than 34V.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

y2kindyz

#3 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks DJP, So I can run each pair on one channel in parallel ? I currently have voltage limited to 35 volts set with a 800 hz. Should leave it there or raise it?

Thanks

DJPhatman

#4 Post by DJPhatman »

y2kindyz wrote:Thanks DJP, So I can run each pair on one channel in parallel ? I currently have voltage limited to 35 volts set with a 800 hz. Should leave it there or raise it?

Thanks
IIRC, the XTi 02 series have independently adjustable channels in the on-board DSP. Plug in with a Windows laptop, running "HiQNet Band Manager" and make all of your adjustments. So much faster, easier and enables features that are easy to miss in the front panel display.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice