Loudspeakers and why Loudspeakers blow

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Mkulu

Loudspeakers and why Loudspeakers blow

#1 Post by Mkulu »

On the left is a cheap Chinese Eminence that came out of one of the Mackie 15a cabs I have.
Mackie pull the same marketing trick as others. 300 Watts peak power no mention of the rms handling, that thing can't even handle 150 watts rms.
While I was ill a guy at the club they were stored at thought he was clever and used my small rig when he had been told not to touch it. He over clipped and blew the thing.Not only that he blew the mixer output stages as well.
On the right is a 500 Watt woofer I have had for 20 years, these were made locally and are they reliable.
I have a whole batch of them, never blown one in my 3K watt rig.
IDIOT......he will pay. :chainsaw: :bash:
To replace that driver will cost me at least USD 135 plus 14% import duty.
Unless of course I do a repair of rewinding the voice coil which I have done several times before on others.

Mkulu

Re: Loudspeakers and why Loudspeakers blow

#2 Post by Mkulu »

Mkulu wrote:On the left is a cheap Chinese Eminence that came out of one of the Mackie 15a cabs I have.
Mackie pull the same marketing trick as others. 300 Watts peak power no mention of the rms handling, that thing can't even handle 150 watts rms.
While I was ill a guy at the club they were stored at thought he was clever and used my small rig when he had been told not to touch it. He over clipped and blew the thing.Not only that he blew the mixer output stages as well.
On the right is a 500 Watt woofer I have had for 20 years, these were made locally and are they reliable.
I have a whole batch of them, never blown one in my 3K watt rig.
IDIOT......he will pay. :chainsaw: :bash:
To replace that driver will cost me at least USD 135 plus 14% import duty.
Unless of course I do a repair of rewinding the voice coil which I have done several times before on others.
Well Guys I just replaced the Eminence in the Mackie 15A with my 20 year old driver, What a difference, lovely deep bass tones, wide mid range and even well up into the lower highs. An improvement of 1000%.
Don't waste your money on any commercial cab, they put Sh1t inside.

20170201_175347 2.jpg
20170201_175347 2.jpg (4.91 KiB) Viewed 709 times