600mhz wireless mics

Anything not covered elsewhere.
BrentEvans

600mhz wireless mics

#1 Post by BrentEvans »

The FCC auction of the 600mhz band is complete, with relatively good news for wireless mic users. 12mhz total has been left open (with some restrictions) for wireless mic users. Lectrosonics has published the details:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/Wireless ... dates.html
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

NukePooch

Re: 600mhz wireless mics

#2 Post by NukePooch »

Ugh. I'm getting tired of this. :wall: So...looks like my church will lose 4 handhelds, and two IEM units...and I'll lose two handhelds from my own system. Could definitely have been worse, but still stinks.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

NukePooch wrote:Ugh. I'm getting tired of this. :wall: So...looks like my church will lose 4 handhelds, and two IEM units...and I'll lose two handhelds from my own system. Could definitely have been worse, but still stinks.
From what I've seen, most of the major brands have the allowable chunk in their bandwidth. Might be worth a double check on the frequencies and what you can actually tune to. Sennheiser B band is usable in both buffer bands, as is Audio Technica's 3000 series, etc. 12mhz will handle 10-14 mics, depending on tuning.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

NukePooch wrote:Ugh. I'm getting tired of this. :wall: So...looks like my church will lose 4 handhelds, and two IEM units...and I'll lose two handhelds from my own system. Could definitely have been worse, but still stinks.

More than likely, your church won't be close to someone who is using those frequencies....especially at the time that church is going on.

I wouldn't change a thing until someone complains. Unless you are in a big metro area - it will probably never happen.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

NukePooch

#5 Post by NukePooch »

Bruce Weldy wrote:

More than likely, your church won't be close to someone who is using those frequencies....especially at the time that church is going on.

I wouldn't change a thing until someone complains. Unless you are in a big metro area - it will probably never happen.

We're in a small town, so I don't have much concern for anyone pitching a fit, what concerns me is that someone will come in with a new iDevice19+, try to get on fakebook, and let us listen to digital static in the middle of worship...unless I can get all cellphones banned on the premises. :lol:
Built:

NukePooch

#6 Post by NukePooch »

BrentEvans wrote:
From what I've seen, most of the major brands have the allowable chunk in their bandwidth. Might be worth a double check on the frequencies and what you can actually tune to. Sennheiser B band is usable in both buffer bands, as is Audio Technica's 3000 series, etc. 12mhz will handle 10-14 mics, depending on tuning.
We're a small, but growing, church, with limited funds right now. The mics in question are cheap mics that do have a tiny bit of 'non-sold' bandwidth left, but since they're cheap mics, they're not 'tightly' tuned, and crosstalk something fierce. It's tolerable right now, I'm not sure they'll be as happy squished closer together. The rest of the mics are entry-level Sennheisers, and are fine.

The IEM's are horrid, bargain-basement Galaxy AS-900's, which are locked into one frequency. The chances that something will walk on those specific frequencies is low...but still a chance.
Built:

BrentEvans

#7 Post by BrentEvans »

Well... another bit of good news is that the transition will take until 2020. That should be more than enough time to replace a few things.

I'm just glad that my Sennheiser G band wasn't too affected. There was some talk that all the way down to 566mhz was up for grabs...

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

And all of this is just one more bullet in my arsenal of why I don't like wireless devices. If a cable breaks, I can replace it. When the air breaks........ :wall:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BrentEvans

#9 Post by BrentEvans »

Bruce Weldy wrote:

The problem isn't deployment, it's the fact that in 3 years or less all the new devices will have 600mhz radios in them. If the carrier isn't deployed you might get away with using downlink frequencies but there will still be intermod from all of the devices trying to connect. Plus, if it goes like the 700mhz transition did, you MIGHT get a C&D if you get caught before Verizon sues you...or they might just sue you. What was it? $10k per mic per day? Its sucks but it could have been worse.