Sealing air leaks inside the cabinet after closing

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Noclu

Sealing air leaks inside the cabinet after closing

#1 Post by Noclu »

Hello everybody,

i was asking myself (as we and some friends of mine had/have the problem)
how does one fix an air leak that is for example inside the horn path on a closed (all sides are glued for example) cabinet?

is there any way without breaking the cab apart?

Cheers,

Noclu

Drey Chennells

Re: Sealing air leaks inside the cabinet after closing

#2 Post by Drey Chennells »

never had this issue but no reason not to hole saw or jigsaw a hole into the chamber that is suspect. you would have the access you need and easy to patch up reusing the cutout.. :chainsaw:
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There's no easy way, which is why it's critical that it be built with the correct adhesive. In this case 16 ounces of prevention are worth a hundred pounds of cure.

Rich4349

#4 Post by Rich4349 »

I had a similar problem years ago, due to a warped final side and cut too short inner panels. It IS possible to do surgery, though it will take a couple of hours. You can set your circular saw to 1/2" depth, and plunge cut your heart and panel 14 away. Be prepared to make a cubic foot of sawdust.

I removed the entire side due to this cabinet being destined for greatness with stain. A duratexed one could just have an access hole (s) cut.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Noclu

#5 Post by Noclu »

Thank you guys!

Okay, in case I need to cut some access holes, I keep the cutout , fix the leak, glue the panel back on and use something (glue and sawdust?) To fill the cut lines.

Preparation is definitely worth alot more than fixing problems later (and easier) ...But I think some people are damned to learn the harder way than others, hehe !

Cheers

Noclu

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Noclu wrote: in case I need to cut some access holes, I keep the cutout , fix the leak, glue the panel back on and use something (glue and sawdust?) To fill the cut lines.
If you're using PL there won't be any cut lines, the expanding PL will fill them. If you're using woodworking glue that's what got you in trouble in the first place. :cop:

Noclu

#7 Post by Noclu »

Used pl as suggested :) but I thaught the cut lines would be too big for the pl to fill